View Poll Results: What and how much should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • A 100% of the cost of the clean up.

    42 80.77%
  • Some of the cost of the clean up(please specify)

    5 9.62%
  • A 100% of what the fishermen lost as a result of the spill

    19 36.54%
  • Only some of what the fishermen lost as a result of the spill(please specify)

    9 17.31%
  • A 100% loss of what any business/company lost as a direct result of that spill.

    19 36.54%
  • Some of the what those other businesses lost as a direct result of the spill(please specify)

    8 15.38%
  • none of the above

    4 7.69%
  • other

    6 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

  1. #11
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

    They should be banned from off-shore drilling until they can assure they've implemented the safety methods that the Norwegians have been using for years. Profit, when you're drilling a hole in the Earth, should be secondary.

    They should pay 150% of costs associated with clean-up.

    They should pay for lost business in the gulf of mexico until the clean-up is complete.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  2. #12
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

    From what I understand, they are only liable for 75 million, which is why I expect the American taxpayer will pick up the tab for the rest of the damages and lost wages/industry.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #13
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,751

    Re: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    From what I understand, they are only liable for 75 million, which is why I expect the American taxpayer will pick up the tab for the rest of the damages and lost wages/industry.
    We should be accustomed to it by now...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #14
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    They should be banned from off-shore drilling until they can assure they've implemented the safety methods that the Norwegians have been using for years. Profit, when you're drilling a hole in the Earth, should be secondary.

    They should pay 150% of costs associated with clean-up.

    They should pay for lost business in the gulf of mexico until the clean-up is complete.
    Excellent! I think the Obama admin will go after BP with a vengeance. However, BP has thrown a lot of $$ around Washington and Obama so, we shall see.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

    I'm curious as to why a foreign firm was drilling in American waters? Don't U.S. oil companies have this capability? Aren't we trying to decrease our dependence on foreign oil? Why were we putting the fate of our ecosystem in the hands of foreigners?

  6. #16
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    I'm curious as to why a foreign firm was drilling in American waters? Don't U.S. oil companies have this capability? Aren't we trying to decrease our dependence on foreign oil? Why were we putting the fate of our ecosystem in the hands of foreigners?
    Actually the oil rig is owned by TransOcean, which is an American company. BP was just leasing it. But I don't see what their nationality has to do with anything. Would the spill be any better if it had been ExxonMobil instead of BP?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #17
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

    I say make them pay 100% of everything.

    Use them as an example to show other oil companies that they better have their **** together and better be making sure their equipment works right.

  8. #18
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

    This is funny, hearing everyone talk about these guys needing to pay for 100% of the damage costs. Why don't we hear the same cry for air pollution or water pollution? No, we need to cap those instead. Seems to me that's a lot of hypocrisy.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #19
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    This is funny, hearing everyone talk about these guys needing to pay for 100% of the damage costs. Why don't we hear the same cry for air pollution or water pollution? No, we need to cap those instead. Seems to me that's a lot of hypocrisy.
    It's a lot harder to measure the monetary damages from air pollution, and it's a lot harder to determine who exactly is causing it (and in what proportion). If you can come up with an effective way of doing that, then I totally agree that companies should be held accountable for their pollution as well.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #20
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: How much and what should BP pay for as a result of the oil spill?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    It's a lot harder to measure the monetary damages from air pollution, and it's a lot harder to determine who exactly is causing it (and in what proportion). If you can come up with an effective way of doing that, then I totally agree that companies should be held accountable for their pollution as well.
    Yeah, measure the pollution before they expel it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •