View Poll Results: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 38.89%
  • No

    19 52.78%
  • Maybe

    1 2.78%
  • Not Sure

    0 0%
  • Other

    2 5.56%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 163

Thread: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Coercion -

    1.the act of coercing; use of force or intimidation to obtain compliance.

    2.force or the power to use force in gaining compliance, as by a government or police force.

    Synonym for Slavery -

    Servitude is compulsory service, often such as is required by a legal penalty: penal servitude. 4. moil, labor.


    Looks like the same end by different means.
    I don't care what the dictionary says, and you should provide a link when you do use it.

    The institution of slavery requires that slaves are property. Coercion does not measure up to this standard.

  2. #72
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    And THAT is irrelevant. You're arguing that the government, not you, are providing for these people; this is disingenuous because everythig the govermnet has it gets from the people it governs. Directly or indirectly, you are being forced to provide for these people; directly or indiectly, that still makes you a slave.
    No it does not. I have already explained why.

    Our government works this way and it is not in any way shape or form slavery.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You, yourself noted that:

    -So if the state owns you it is (not) OK.
    -Sorry "national duty" is no less slavery by it's definition.
    -If you are given no choice under threat of force be it physical or imprisonment, it is slavery.
    No because they are not restricting your freedom to...

    Move someplace else.
    Get tax exempt status etc.

    You have a choice.

    Being conscripted into a military is no choice. You go and if you try to move away etc, you are now in violation and under penalty of law considered a criminal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    All of these things can be correctly applied to the issue at hand.
    As I have shown, no they can't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You placed some credence on the fact that It is the governments and spent by YOUR representatives.". If you are not arguing anythig 'remotely close to that', then your notation here is meaningless.
    The only thing meaningless here is your argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #73
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    I don't care what the dictionary says.
    Then we have nothing further to discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Then we have nothing further to discuss.
    Nice to see you decline to question me, so that I am right:

    "The institution of slavery requires that slaves are property. Coercion does not measure up to this standard."

  5. #75
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Nice to see you decline to question me, so that I am right:

    "The institution of slavery requires that slaves are property. Coercion does not measure up to this standard."
    No. By declining the dictionary definition you have admitted you have no bases for your argument other than opinion. I don't care about your opinion as it is not backed up by any tangible evidence. Mine is.

    Pretty simple.

    Now as soon as you have actual evidence that backs up your statements, we may have something. Until that time you are just spouting a great deal of nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #76
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No it does not. I have already explained why.
    Your explanation fails, as illustrated. Direct or indirect, slaver ys is still slavery.

    No because they are not restricting your freedom to...
    -Move someplace else.
    -Get tax exempt status etc.
    You have a choice.
    Oh... I see.
    Well, as you -always- have a choice, under this argument, slavery cannot exist.
    Being conscripted into a military is no choice. You go and if you try to move away etc, you are now in violation and under penalty of law considered a criminal.
    You still have a choice, and its no different than the choice that you claim negates the argument that being forced by the government to provide for others is slavery. As such, by your own argument, conscription isnt slavery.

    So, you need to make up your mind as you are now arguing out both ends of your digestive tract.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 05-10-10 at 04:31 PM.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No. By declining the dictionary definition you have admitted you have no bases for your argument other than opinion. I don't care about your opinion as it is not backed up by any tangible evidence. Mine is.

    Pretty simple.

    Now as soon as you have actual evidence that backs up your statements, we may have something. Until that time you are just spouting a great deal of nothing.
    You fail by not linking your dictionary definition showing it is a reputable dictionary and that it's definitions are sound.

    Furthermore, we are talking about the institution of slavery and not the literary fuse of that word, a la "slavery to drugs".

    You fail on both counts.

  8. #78
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Your explanation fails, as illustrated. Direct or indirect, slaver ys is still slavery.
    According to the actual definition, no it does not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Oh... I see.
    Well, as you -always- have a choice, under this argument, slavery cannot exist.
    Yea, that is exactly what I said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You still have a choice, ans its no different than the choice that you claim negates the argument that being forced by the government to provide for others is slavery. As such, by your own argument, conscription isnt slavery.
    I have already shown in 3 or 4 posts this is not true. You have given nothing to support your position other than yelling my evidence does not jive with your opinion.

    Sorry, does not float.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    So, you need to make up your mind as you are now arging out both ends of your digestive tract.
    Only in your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #79
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    I guess the way I see it is that if being forced to provide service by the government is slavery. Than, yes, so are things like the draft, jury duty, paying taxes so that the poor can have a lawyer, etc.

    I guess that would mean that one some level, forced service is necessary for a functional society.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 05-10-10 at 04:27 PM.

  10. #80
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    You fail by not linking your dictionary definition showing it is a reputable dictionary and that it's definitions are sound.
    You have got to be kidding? It's a freaking dictionary. I can get the same definitions from 3 or 4 on-line dictionary's.

    Idiot | Define Idiot at Dictionary.com

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Furthermore, we are talking about the institution of slavery and not the literary fuse of that word, a la "slavery to drugs".

    You fail on both counts.
    We are arguing if it is subjective or not and to whom.

    Read the OP and get back to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •