View Poll Results: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 38.89%
  • No

    19 52.78%
  • Maybe

    1 2.78%
  • Not Sure

    0 0%
  • Other

    2 5.56%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 163

Thread: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

  1. #111
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,506

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Yeah, we disagree. Enjoyed it none the less and it feels good to win one of these here debates on DP!

    (arguing with a Dictionary! BWHAHAAHHAHAHAA!!)
    You did not even come close to winning.

    But as a consolation...

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,818

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Slavery is owning people as property for the purposes of getting work out of them. Period.
    Originally Posted by catz
    I agree. Misusing the term weakens it. I do not support hyperbolic misuse of terminology for the purpose of inflaming an emotional response to some political issue. Other terms that are frequently misused include hate speech, racism, and terrorism.
    Not according to the definitions of the term...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #113
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Without having read this thread (as my lazyness level is high at this time), I state the following:

    IMO, "Slavery" is defined as "involuntary service/labor".
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Slavery is when someone takes a machine gun, actual or metaphorical, and denies you the fruits of your labor for the benefit of himself or others and with no measurable benefit to yourself.

    The classic example is the black slaves owned by Democrat Jefferson Davis. Except Ol' Jeff didn't have a machine gun.

    The modern example is the American worker who gets taxed and taxed and taxed so his masters can bail out AIG, GM, Greece, Europe, the Universe, and none of which will ever benefit him.

  5. #115
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Last Seen
    06-10-10 @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    277

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Slavery is when someone takes a machine gun, actual or metaphorical, and denies you the fruits of your labor for the benefit of himself or others and with no measurable benefit to yourself.

    The classic example is the black slaves owned by Democrat Jefferson Davis. Except Ol' Jeff didn't have a machine gun.

    The modern example is the American worker who gets taxed and taxed and taxed so his masters can bail out AIG, GM, Greece, Europe, the Universe, and none of which will ever benefit him.
    And there we go, the viewpoint that proves the case. Slavery is not a pinned down definition and even if it is, the terms in the definition are up to debate. What does "against one's will" mean? What does "will" mean?

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You did not even come close to winning.
    It is really pathetic seeing you try to deny it. But thanks for the coupon!

  7. #117
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,506

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    It is really pathetic seeing you try to deny it. But thanks for the coupon!
    Nothing pathetic. You did not prove your case. Your evidence supported my position more so than your own. You just want to white wash it. So no one cares but you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Nothing pathetic. You did not prove your case. Your evidence supported my position more so than your own. You just want to white wash it. So no one cares but you.
    Not a chance. Let's revisit the argument. The institution of slavery requires that people be owned as property. I proved it and you brought a dictionary.

  9. #119
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,506

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Not a chance. Let's revisit the argument. The institution of slavery requires that people be owned as property. I proved it and you brought a dictionary.
    Your source shows their is no consensus. You can't deny this. The dictionary definition also says "property ownership" is not necessary.

    Going by the preponderance of the evidence, your point is not valid.

    As most of the other posters have shown, it is clearly subjective from person to person.

    Got evidence that says "The institution of slavery requires that people be owned as property." that is a statement of fact? No, you don't because their "is no general consensus."
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-10-10 at 11:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Your source shows their is no consensus. You can't deny this. The dictionary definition also says "property ownership" is not necessary.

    Going by the preponderance of the evidence, your point is not valid.

    As most of the other posters have shown, it is clearly subjective from person to person.

    Got evidence that says "The institution of slavery requires that people be owned as property." that is a statement of fact? No, you don't because their "is no general consensus."
    "Slavery (also called thralldom) is a form of forced labour in which people are considered to be the property of others."

    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery]Slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

    It's a done deal.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •