View Poll Results: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 38.89%
  • No

    19 52.78%
  • Maybe

    1 2.78%
  • Not Sure

    0 0%
  • Other

    2 5.56%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 163

Thread: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    PS a general agreement is not a consensus by any means.

    Again shows it is subjective!
    Ok, I will concede that the conclusions are a general agreement, but that that is not a consensus and that it is subjective (I am generally a moral relativist, so I like subjective).

    However, I will not agree that this makes slavery a matter of perspective, back to the OP. There is general agreement on what slavery entails. Slave of drugs and conscription do not meet this measure.

    Blocks the attack and counters for a GOAL!!!

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No no no! In Calvin Ball I am winning: A to 14.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    +1 for Calvin and Hobbes reference.
    I miss the reference. Never was a Calvin and Hobbes fan.

  3. #103
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Ok, I will concede that the conclusions are a general agreement, but that that is not a consensus and that it is subjective (I am generally a moral relativist, so I like subjective).

    However, I will not agree that this makes slavery a matter of perspective, back to the OP. There is general agreement on what slavery entails. Slave of drugs and conscription do not meet this measure.

    Blocks the attack and counters for a GOAL!!!
    I think it absolutly does. Look at the debates going on around us. It is absolutly subjective. People do not agree at all.

    Penalty on the play. -15 bases.

    Score is C to 23.

    No score!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #104
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Since when does applying something evenly equate soundless points? In Goobie land?
    You created a standard relevant to a subject
    You want to apply that standard when you find it convenient and ignore it when not. Either your standard is valid in all cases regarding that subject, or it isn't. Your choice.

    Has literaly nothing to do with my point. Or yours for that matter.
    Wow. You must not be paying attention to your own posts.

  5. #105
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    You created a standard relevant to a subject
    You want to apply that standard when you find it convenient and ignore it when not. Either your standard is valid in all cases regarding that subject, or it isn't. Your choice.
    It was specific to your example. And since my argument is about the subjectivity of the issue, you are basically making my case for me.

    And you still have no clue as to what I meant.

    Things do not have to be applied evenly either way.

    You going to show me some evidence that all subjects need to be applies evenly? Good luck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Wow. You must not be paying attention to your own posts.
    I am not paying attention to the silliness of your posts. Huge difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #106
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It was specific to your example. And since my argument is about the subjectivity of the issue, you are basically making my case for me.

    Well, if that's the case, your standard doesn't apply at all, and your point fails.



  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I think it absolutly does. Look at the debates going on around us. It is absolutly subjective. People do not agree at all.

    Penalty on the play. -15 bases.

    Score is C to 23.

    No score!
    In the encyclopedia entry I cited, it says general agreement, but for the first item I will bet that there is consensus. "The slave was a species of property; thus, he belonged to someone else.". This is an objective observation about slavery.

    This fails conscription and "slave" of drugs.

    It is not subjective, therefore it is not a matter of perspective.

  8. #108
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    In the encyclopedia entry I cited, it says general agreement, but for the first item I will bet that there is consensus. "The slave was a species of property; thus, he belonged to someone else.". This is an objective observation about slavery.
    Still flies in the face of the definition of the word from any dictionary. It just does not pass muster as too many types of slavery have existed since the dawn of man.

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    This fails conscription and "slave" of drugs.

    It is not subjective, therefore it is not a matter of perspective.
    I disagree for the reasons I already stated. And by the evidence I have shown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #109
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,526

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post

    Well, if that's the case, your standard doesn't apply at all, and your point fails.


    Another dodge.

    I guess we are done.

    Again thanks for proving my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is slavery a matter of perspective?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Still flies in the face of the definition of the word from any dictionary. It just does not pass muster as too many types of slavery have existed since the dawn of man.



    I disagree for the reasons I already stated. And by the evidence I have shown.
    Yeah, we disagree. Enjoyed it none the less and it feels good to win one of these here debates on DP!

    (arguing with a Dictionary! BWHAHAAHHAHAHAA!!)

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •