View Poll Results: What should the legal drinking age be?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16

    8 10.13%
  • 17

    0 0%
  • 18

    50 63.29%
  • 19

    1 1.27%
  • 20

    0 0%
  • 21

    9 11.39%
  • never

    1 1.27%
  • Other

    10 12.66%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61

Thread: What should the legal drinking age be?

  1. #41
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,295
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What should the legal drinking age be?

    Late into this conversation. But for me, I grew up in countries with extremely different attitudes towards alcohol. In South Africa, parents dip their babies pacifiers into whiskey to get them to sleep lol. In Britain kids start binge drinking from 10 years old, there were times when I would drink my face off and go to class in England no problem, maximum control

    In Canada the drinking age is 19, but from the age of 16 when I moved there, all we did every weekend was get **** faced without any penalty. And you know what, it's funny that those of us that drank earlier, were far more responsible later on, than those that only drank when they turned 19, they went nuts and lost all control because they didn't know how to handle it yet. But this coming from the province I lived in where the premier (governor) said

    "In America they call it Soda, In Canada they call it pop, in Nova Scotia they call it mix" - Darrell Dexter Premier of Nova Scotia

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: What should the legal drinking age be?

    Whatever the individual state decides it should be, without coercion from the Nannies in Washington.

    I grew up when the drinking age was 18. I survived just fine.

    So 18 sounds like a dandy number.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: What should the legal drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    18 was legal for beer when I grew up. If you are mature enough to go to war and vote you should be able to drink
    They're not mature enough to vote. The voting age should be raised to 30.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: What should the legal drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Late into this conversation. But for me, I grew up in countries with extremely different attitudes towards alcohol. In South Africa, parents dip their babies pacifiers into whiskey to get them to sleep lol. In Britain kids start binge drinking from 10 years old, there were times when I would drink my face off and go to class in England no problem, maximum control

    In Canada the drinking age is 19, but from the age of 16 when I moved there, all we did every weekend was get **** faced without any penalty. And you know what, it's funny that those of us that drank earlier, were far more responsible later on, than those that only drank when they turned 19, they went nuts and lost all control because they didn't know how to handle it yet. But this coming from the province I lived in where the premier (governor) said

    "In America they call it Soda, In Canada they call it pop, in Nova Scotia they call it mix" - Darrell Dexter Premier of Nova Scotia
    When I was about sixteen I remember some of the kids who used to scorn me for drinking mad dog 20/20. A lot of them did turn into alcoholics later on.

  5. #45
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What should the legal drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    They're not mature enough to vote. The voting age should be raised to 30.
    And then, within a generation, thirty-year-olds wouldn't be mature enough to vote either and we'd be forced to raise the age to 45. People do not become mature enough to properly exercise a privilege until they have experience with it.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: What should the legal drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    They're not mature enough to vote. The voting age should be raised to 30.
    It's been my experience that people who aren't mature enough to vote don't vote.
    I mean, it typically requires going somewhere, and standing in line, and produces no tangible benefit or reward.
    It's not something immature people are likely to do on a whim.

  7. #47
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: What should the legal drinking age be?

    I would love to see the drinking age dropped to 18. There is really no logical reason to restrict the drinking age to 3 years over legal adulthood, except to pacify a group like MADD.

    I also agree with 10. I would love to see the driving age raised to 18. I won't argue higher, because that would be hypocritical of me. I will say though that it would be nice to see stricter standards on issuing licenses.

    I also don't have a problem with having a drinking license, I just don't see it happening in the foreseeable future. I think that it would be far more likely for us to just get the highway funding issue the federal government holds over the states repealed. I think that the states will mostly, if not all, change their drinking ages to 18. Especially considering how many states have laws that do allow minors to drink in the company of their parents and/or at certain private locations.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #48
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: What should the legal drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I would love to see the drinking age dropped to 18. There is really no logical reason to restrict the drinking age to 3 years over legal adulthood, except to pacify a group like MADD.
    If I could trust 18 year olds to not sell the alcohol to even younger minors, I'd be for it... however, I don't.

    This is why I'd be OK with them drinking at 18 but not buying the alcohol.

    I believe 21 being the legal drinking age encourages those under 21 to drink in secret and can lead to irresponsible drinking habits.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: What should the legal drinking age be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    If I could trust 18 year olds to not sell the alcohol to even younger minors, I'd be for it... however, I don't.

    This is why I'd be OK with them drinking at 18 but not buying the alcohol.

    I believe 21 being the legal drinking age encourages those under 21 to drink in secret and can lead to irresponsible drinking habits.
    When I was sixteen my young friends and I would always get an an old burned out wino to purchase our spirits for us.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,044

    Re: What should the legal drinking age be?

    Old enough to join the military, old enough to drink I say.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •