View Poll Results: Regarding the "Cordoba House" mosque being built 2 blocks from ground zero in NYC...

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is OK by me

    51 36.43%
  • This is NOT OK at all

    85 60.71%
  • Other (Explain)

    4 2.86%
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 510

Thread: Mosque near WTC moves forward

  1. #411
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mosque near WTC moves forward

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post



    No. City ordinance wouldn't allow it. I'm a man for the rule of law, and unfortunately for the opposition the law is on the Muslims side.
    I'm not aware of any City ordinance which would not allow converting the planned WTC buildings into mosques. In fact, since you're for the rule of law, such a move would be allowed Constitutionally under at least the 1st amendment.

    What City ordinance over rules the 1st Amendment? Link?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #412
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Mosque near WTC moves forward

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I'm not aware of any City ordinance which would not allow converting the planned WTC buildings into mosques. In fact, since you're for the rule of law, such a move would be allowed Constitutionally under at least the 1st amendment.

    What City ordinance over rules the 1st Amendment? Link?

    City Ordinance would not allow the noise of the Muslim call to worship to be loud enough to be effective in reaching the people of New York City.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  3. #413
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Mosque near WTC moves forward

    The Dome of the Rock sits atop the Temple mount, erected after the fall of the second Jewish temple. This is no coincidence, since the pattern in the spread of Islam is to destroy the religious structures of the conquered people and replace them with mosques.

    What greater example of America's number one religious symbol than the twin towers, eh? Since we worship capitalism and all.......
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  4. #414
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mosque near WTC moves forward

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    City Ordinance would not allow the noise of the Muslim call to worship to be loud enough to be effective in reaching the people of New York City.
    You're actually, 100% wrong in this case. Here's the evidence:

    NY Law Library, DEP Noise Code, 1998 ---


    24-217 Exemptions.


    The provisions of this code shall not apply to the operation or use of any organ, bell, chimes or other similar instrument by any church, synagogue, mosque or school.

    NPC Law Library: city of New York Noise Ordinance

    So I'll ask again, why not change your opinion and go all the way, since there is no noise ordinance in NYC that would prevent it. I think it's time you move the goal post and change your argument.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #415
    User Vincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Seen
    04-13-12 @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    140

    Re: Mosque near WTC moves forward

    How come nobody can 'exercise their rights' and be considerate of others at the same time anymore? How hard would it be for those muslims to build their mosque a few miles farther away? The law might not require them too, but would it kill them to show a little respect for the thousands of innocent people who were murdered by some of their fellow muslims?
    Last edited by Vincent; 05-10-10 at 10:28 AM.

  6. #416
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Mosque near WTC moves forward

    Great idea, let's build the tallest building in the world, and put a mosque at the top.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #417
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Mosque near WTC moves forward

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    How come nobody can 'exercise their rights' and be considerate of others at the same time anymore?
    How hard would it be for those muslims to build their mosque a few miles farther away? The law might not require them too, but would it kill them to show a little respect for the thousands of innocent people who were murdered by some of their fellow muslims?
    I have to say, I can see the point of the original article in that, outreach would be to show the BEST of Islam close to where such a tragedy occurred in SUPPORT of healing that tragedy. However, this is way overly optimistic in my view --- if this were another 30 or 40 years in the future, it would probably be embraced. But 10 years is not enough time. The holes are still there - such loss of innocent life is not quickly forgiven so I agree with you... too soon, not a good idea. Islam should be more interested in sending outreach to madrassas and other pockets of radicalized Islam around the world instead of some attempt at outreach to the victims and the ground zero location. Let the victims have time --- get Islam's own house in order first. That would go much further than putting a mosque on the front steps of the new WTC.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #418
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Mosque near WTC moves forward

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    A $100 million dollar glass mosque called the "Cordoba House" is being built approximately 2 blocks away from ground zero. The purpose, according to Imam Feisel Abdul Rauf, is to "...foster better relations between the West and Muslims." Costs are being handled by groups such as the Ford Foundation and the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, which would pay for the construction.

    Not everyone is on board though...




    So weigh in -- is this all OK due to the stated intent, or is it NOT okay and this type of outreach building should be built somewhere not so close to the site of 9/11?





    Read more: Plan for mosque near World Trade Center site moves ahead
    If they bought the land and can finance putting a mosque up, then that's that. They're free to do so and there's nothing we can legitimately do to stop them.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #419
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Mosque near WTC moves forward

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I have to say, I can see the point of the original article in that, outreach would be to show the BEST of Islam close to where such a tragedy occurred in SUPPORT of healing that tragedy. However, this is way overly optimistic in my view --- if this were another 30 or 40 years in the future, it would probably be embraced. But 10 years is not enough time. The holes are still there - such loss of innocent life is not quickly forgiven so I agree with you... too soon, not a good idea. Islam should be more interested in sending outreach to madrassas and other pockets of radicalized Islam around the world instead of some attempt at outreach to the victims and the ground zero location. Let the victims have time --- get Islam's own house in order first. That would go much further than putting a mosque on the front steps of the new WTC.
    I can't help but think that the real outreach is that of Saudi money reaching out from across the Atlantic to finance the thing.

    I would be more supportive of it's building if plans were in works to build a 100 million dollar church in Mecca. Somehow the notion of reciprocity never enters the picture when it comes to the relationship between Islam and the west.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #420
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Mosque near WTC moves forward

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    He is the worst kind of political hack. One that is a bigot and hides behind intellectualism to disguise his bigotry.

    I am not even going into the fact he is a tin foil hat wearing Republican.

    He is everything I said.
    I really respect you doing this, BD.

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •