View Poll Results: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Move Jolt him!

    28 62.22%
  • Bad Move He Caused No Harm!

    13 28.89%
  • Other

    4 8.89%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 105

Thread: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

  1. #71
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

    Quote Originally Posted by barefootguy View Post
    6 or 7 security guards against 1 drunk fan. Using a weapon such as a taser was completely unnecessary.
    No it was completely justified because he was a Phillies fan.

  2. #72
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,871
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

    if you look at the err...girth...of the bloke that tasered him, it was probably better than getting tackled by him
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  3. #73
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Over-reacting, extremism, over zealousness, hatred, fear, envy are the problems. Also laziness, sloth(the so-called parent.)..
    A little tolerance can go a long way.
    Why so much hatred for this poor child?
    It wasnt but 100 years ago 15 year olds were routinely married, parenting children, building and running farms and business. And now...at 17 he is a 'poor child'. Behold...the pussification of America.

  4. #74
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

    I figure tasering him was probably a lot safer than tackling him.

    Tackling someone who isn't wearing protective gear and/or hasn't physically trained to pretty much "take a hit" can result in a large amount of possible injuries, including broken bones, contusions, strained muscles, possible head injury, and could even cause internal bleeding if the tackler landed on the person wrong. And all those things could also happen to the tackler. And the more people that you have tackling someone, the more likely an injury will occur.

    I don't think waiting it out would have worked well in this case, because it seemed like the kid was in better shape than the guards, and could have kept away from them for quite a while longer. Delaying the game because the guards didn't want to use a pretty safe method of stopping such a person could have easily caused complaints and cut into the profits of the park and/or ball club. Most of the spectators paid to see a baseball game, and even if the kid running around for a few minutes could have been considered an okay or even welcome pause of the game, eventually it would have gotten old, if it hadn't by the time they actually did stop him. People would have gotten restless and some probably would have gotten angry.

    There might have been a better way to deal with the situation, but I can't think of any other way that would have ended it as quickly or more quickly and would have caused as little injury as tasing him did. Well maybe if the guards were in better shape, and could have actually caught him, but there's really no way to fix that problem while the situation is occurring.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

    Quote Originally Posted by b.larset View Post
    Sweet! Now there is going to be a new 94 pound ten year old millionaire in Indiana soon.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

    A totally shocking thread !

  7. #77
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Sweet! Now there is going to be a new 94 pound ten year old millionaire in Indiana soon.
    nah...not when people read the whole accounting of the saga of this 10 year old and his violent tendencies. (Didnt we already discuss this thread once?)

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    nah...not when people read the whole accounting of the saga of this 10 year old and his violent tendencies. (Didnt we already discuss this thread once?)
    I don't recall.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I figure tasering him was probably a lot safer than tackling him.
    Does anyone who keeps saying this actually have any proof of validation of this? It seems to me that kids are tackling and worse from a very young age, people do it as adults too. And while some injury may occur, it is not often. While tazers do not have a high death rate, they have one which is non-zero. So we keep saying this line, but no one has proven it to be true. It's like we're trying our damnedest to excuse excessive force from the military arm of the government.

    In the end this guy got tazed from trespassing when a simple tackle would have been more than sufficient.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Delaying the game because the guards didn't want to use a pretty safe method of stopping such a person could have easily caused complaints and cut into the profits of the park and/or ball club. Most of the spectators paid to see a baseball game, and even if the kid running around for a few minutes could have been considered an okay or even welcome pause of the game, eventually it would have gotten old, if it hadn't by the time they actually did stop him. People would have gotten restless and some probably would have gotten angry.
    Have you been to a baseball game recently? The majority of what goes on is nothing. There's tons of dead space. So a guy runs out on the field...time to get another beer or use the pisser. It wouldn't have lasted too long, a few minutes at most. There would be no cut into profits or any of that. There would be cheers and boos for the dude, they would have tackled him, cuffed him, drug him off the field, and that's the end of it. Happened TONS of times before, will happen a TON of times after. There is zero need for the tazer.
    Last edited by Ikari; 05-06-10 at 03:59 PM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #80
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Phillies Fan Tasered - Good Move or Bad Move?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Does anyone who keeps saying this actually have any proof of validation of this? It seems to me that kids are tackling and worse from a very young age, people do it as adults too. And while some injury may occur, it is not often. While tazers do not have a high death rate, they have one which is non-zero. So we keep saying this line, but no one has proven it to be true. It's like we're trying our damnedest to excuse excessive force from the military arm of the government.
    Football has a non-zero death rate too. And a MUCH higher injury rate. 40,000 concussions per year, 16 or so deaths on average per year, 200 cervical cord injuries per year, and close to 70 cerebral injuries. From... tackling!

    Fact is, tazing the guy put him at minimal risk and zero risk to anyone else.

    In the end this guy got tazed from trespassing when a simple tackle would have been more than sufficient.
    Sure! If you wanted to risk concussion, broken bones, torn muscles, bruises - internal and external. But it surely would have worked too.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •