View Poll Results: Why do the poor do badly in school?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • lack of ability - poor can't do the work and feel stupid

    8 15.69%
  • lack of motivation - poor can't study way out of poverty

    18 35.29%
  • school is racist - not taught things important to poor's race

    1 1.96%
  • school is class-based - not taught things important to poor's class

    5 9.80%
  • schools are underfunded - don't have special programs to help the poor

    15 29.41%
  • urban schools don't attract talented teachers

    17 33.33%
  • rural schools don't attract talented teachers

    12 23.53%
  • socio-economic factors

    28 54.90%
  • gang culture

    23 45.10%
  • other... (please describe)

    23 45.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 190

Thread: Why do the poor do badly in school?

  1. #171
    Folle
    Urethra Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Why do the poor do badly in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Nothing wrong with being grateful for what you have, and wanting others to have the same....or helping the unfortunate...
    Our little town just had a fund raiser to help a single mom, a teacher, with lukemia. Haven't heard yet how much was raised, but it was a lot. Most people are generous to those who get smacked with truly bad luck.
    Now, if she had been a crack abuser, it would have been a waste of time to do a fund raiser for her. Nobody would have shown up....

    That somebody with lukaemia needs charity says a lot about the society she's living in. And not everybody has the good fortune to live in such generous communities. And yes, those who've used drugs for whatever reasons will be pre-judged, even by some of the generous.
    Last edited by Urethra Franklin; 05-03-10 at 08:36 PM.
    "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison"
    Amina.

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Why do the poor do badly in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    We recently talked about some of this in another thread. I am curious what others think are the driving factors for why the poor, both urban and rural, do so poorly in school.
    In a word:

    Parents.

    Weak parents create ignorant kids.

    If the parents want their kid to learn, they don't need the school.

    If the parents don't make the kid study, they're wasting time in class.

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Why do the poor do badly in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    I don't know how to motivate the poor.
    Cut their hammocks down.

  4. #174
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Why do the poor do badly in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Urethra Franklin View Post
    That somebody with lukaemia needs charity says a lot about the society she's living in. And not everybody has the good fortune to live in such generous communities. And yes, those who've used drugs for whatever reasons will be pre-judged, even by some of the generous.
    No insurance covers everything...especially those with compromised immune systems or mobility issues.

    There are no "reasons" to use illicit drugs, only excuses...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Why do the poor do badly in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Urethra Franklin View Post
    Send him my way, I'm not fussy, and I quite enjoy charity work.
    I'll get there as quickly as possible.

    Some societies are fairer, more equitable than others. Get over it. No society gets top marks. Nobody here has claimed that.

    Highly subjective opinion.


    What were you saying about fairness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Urethra Franklin View Post
    Leave it all to the voluntary acts of altruism and very little will get done.
    Speaks to the principles and resolve of your type, doesn't it? You all talk such a big game, sound so compassionate, but your actions fall well short of your rhetoric. How tragic...

    When, it comes to health, education and social services, the less state provision the greater the inequality. Fact.
    When it comes to health, education, and social services, the more Federal intervention, the less individual liberty there is. Also fact.

  6. #176
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Why do the poor do badly in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    ...
    Speaks to the principles and resolve of your type, doesn't it? You all talk such a big game, sound so compassionate, but your actions fall well short of your rhetoric. How tragic.

    ......
    It's easy to be compassionate.... with someone else's money.

    .

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why do the poor do badly in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    In a word:

    Parents.

    Weak parents create ignorant kids.

    If the parents want their kid to learn, they don't need the school.

    If the parents don't make the kid study, they're wasting time in class.
    That seems to be the consensus. A pity so many families are single parent these days. Makes their job even harder. It is scary to think about all the mediocre students that will be produced in coming years.

  8. #178
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Why do the poor do badly in school?

    I was talking to another teacher the other day and she said she thinks we're getting a lot of meth babies in schools now.


  9. #179
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Why do the poor do badly in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    That seems to be the consensus. A pity so many families are single parent these days. Makes their job even harder. It is scary to think about all the mediocre students that will be produced in coming years.
    ITs a sad fact that the people most qualified to be parents tend to reproduce at much lower numbers than the people least capable of raising children.



  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Why do the poor do badly in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    I was talking to another teacher the other day and she said she thinks we're getting a lot of meth babies in schools now.
    This is a very sad fact of life. Very sad...

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •