View Poll Results: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am sick and tired of hearing about racism!

    76 87.36%
  • I think the race card should be played more often!

    6 6.90%
  • I am offended that you're offended that someone was offended about racism

    13 14.94%
  • Moar Racist lulz plz!

    7 8.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 130 of 130

Thread: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Are you implying that I, a white man, am not on the receiving end of racism?
    Whoaaaaa dude, good one.

  2. #122
    User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    05-23-10 @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    116

    Re: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by faminedynasty View Post
    Well, sure. But this is a country built on slavery and in which the strategies of both of the major political parties are based inherently on racism, with de facto segregated schools and neighborhoods, huge incarceration rates for Blacks and Latinos and economic white supremacy.

    Race is the very prism through which people view politics, events, and the value of other people. I'm sure Alaskan folks are tired of hearing about snow. But it's everywhere you look. Racism is to such a huge extent the fabric of our lives. I believe, as Dr. King did, that most Americans are unconscious racists. Not because of any personal immorality on their part, but because of American history and because of an economic and political system that is still entirely dependent on it.

    That is all to say, I'm not sick of hearing about racism so much as I am sick of racism.
    Yes, Racism is the reason for huge incarceration rates for Blacks and Latinos and economic white supremacy...just like racism is the reason, why my father immigrated to this country, at the age of 40, not being white (we're Chinese), not speaking more than two sentences of English, and without a college degree, but six years later managed to get a job that secured a middle class income and life style for our family. Racism is also the reason why my friend's neighbor, having fled from his native country of Cambodia, after spending time in a Khmer Rouge prison where one of his arms was severed below the elbow, moved to the United States, got a job working for the Post Office where he had to walk two hours to/from work each day (not having a car or lacking a knowledge of the public transportation system) for years, managed to buy a house, move his entire family to the States with him, and provide for his family (now he, his wife, and his kids all have cars). I apologize for the run-on sentence.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheServantCharles View Post
    Yes, Racism is the reason for huge incarceration rates for Blacks and Latinos and economic white supremacy...just like racism is the reason, why my father immigrated to this country, at the age of 40, not being white (we're Chinese), not speaking more than two sentences of English, and without a college degree, but six years later managed to get a job that secured a middle class income and life style for our family. Racism is also the reason why my friend's neighbor, having fled from his native country of Cambodia, after spending time in a Khmer Rouge prison where one of his arms was severed below the elbow, moved to the United States, got a job working for the Post Office where he had to walk two hours to/from work each day (not having a car or lacking a knowledge of the public transportation system) for years, managed to buy a house, move his entire family to the States with him, and provide for his family (now he, his wife, and his kids all have cars). I apologize for the run-on sentence.

    Are you still living in the 70's?

  4. #124
    User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    05-23-10 @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    116

    Re: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Are you still living in the 70's?
    No, but in the 80s a Chinese man was beaten to death in Detroit, by two white American males who were recently laid off by one of the American car makers, because they thought he was Japanese. The judge saw fit to fine the men, $2,000 each, and despite extensive testimony by eye witnesses the two men were found not guilty.

    I'm sorry, what about the 70s? I wasn't alive then, so I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to imply.
    Last edited by TheServantCharles; 05-21-10 at 11:22 AM. Reason: correcting incorrect historical information

  5. #125
    User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    05-23-10 @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    116

    Re: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Your obvious prejudices on this topic slanted your survey choices. I think that racism still clearly exists, still deserves to be addressed, and should be addressed openly and candidly, without throwing out names and pots and kettles.

    And, no, I'm not tired of discussing actual racism, and talking about ways to deal with it.

    p.s. I would suggest that your view of racism has a lot to do with the fact that you're white, male, and living in Tennessee. I suspect you rarely experience it.
    I'm not tired of discussing actual racism either. For example, is it racist for black people to vote for Barrack Obama simply because he's half black? If one could prove beyond a shadow of the doubt that the basis for their decision was the color of his skin, and not the politics/issues he stands for/behind; would you Catz consider that racism? If yes, how would you propose we deal with that "hypothetical" scenario?

    As for the experience of the young black Memphis 19 year old. I must ask, as I've only visited Memphis (once); the scenario you describe for our hypothetical or based on a true story African American friend, what is the premise? How is our friend attired? How does our friend carry himself? Generally how would you describe our friend?

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheServantCharles View Post
    No, but in the 80s a Chinese man was beaten to death in Detroit, by two white American males who were recently laid off by one of the American car makers, because they thought he was Japanese. The judge saw fit to fine the men, $2,000 each, and despite extensive testimony by eye witnesses the two men were found not guilty.

    I'm sorry, what about the 70s? I wasn't alive then, so I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to imply.
    You do not know about a quota system for Hiring?

    If I apply for a job and a minority also applies and the company has not met their quota the minority is hired. Experience, skills, work history none of that matters the quota rules hiring.

  7. #127
    User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    05-23-10 @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    116

    Re: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You do not know about a quota system for Hiring?

    If I apply for a job and a minority also applies and the company has not met their quota the minority is hired. Experience, skills, work history none of that matters the quota rules hiring.
    I'm sorry...can you please please please point out to me one incident where a Chinese person received a job because of a "quota"? It is my understanding that many Asians do not get into certain colleges because those colleges need to fill their quota of "minorities" and there is an "overabundance" of Asians. I'm not sure I've ever in any way enjoyed minority status, but if I have please correct me so that I may go about my life honestly.

    Is your implication then, that my father benefited from Affirmative Action? On what grounds? For your statement to be absolutely true, you must be able to prove 1. such a thing as a quota for Asians exist, 2. or Asians receive minority status, 3. that when applying my father WAS NOT better than the other candidates present.

    Even if I were to benefit from Affirmative Action and similarly disillusioned programs, I would not hesitate to state I find such programs racist and my conscience would not allow me endorse such a program. I am not sure you can accuse me of supporting something I clearly do not; you may accuse me of benefiting from it, but in this matter I hold myself blameless until you can prove otherwise.

  8. #128
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

    I'm tired of hearing about it, but it is the only card some have left to play.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  9. #129
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You do not know about a quota system for Hiring?

    If I apply for a job and a minority also applies and the company has not met their quota the minority is hired. Experience, skills, work history none of that matters the quota rules hiring.

    Good point.

    A colleague of mine at work, who also happens to be a pretty good Officer, has been longing to return to his home state of Florida. However when he applied about 1.5 year ago, he was informed they were not hiring. Now they are hiring.

    But...

    Apparently he has been informed that they are only hiring Minorities and Women, not lowly white males.


    Edit: I believe this is the Tampa Police Department, or the Sheriff's Department in the county where Tampa resides, I cant remember which.
    Last edited by Caine; 05-21-10 at 06:13 PM.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #130
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Who here is tired of hearing about racism?

    I'm not sick of hearing about racism. Real racism is a problem that should be exposed and confronted where ever it may pop up. I'm sick of hearing about faux racism - where people simply want to make excuses, play victim, or are just flat out over sensative. Outrageous cases of false racism charges only serve to deepen the racial divide in our nation and pick at the scab of old wounds, rather than let those wounds heal so we can, as a nation, move on to better places.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •