View Poll Results: Will there be violence at the May Day immigration protests?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

    4 23.53%
  • Absolutely...a lot of violence

    5 29.41%
  • Maybe a little, but it will be mostly peaceful

    8 47.06%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Do you think there will be violence by the May Day immigration protests?

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,959

    Re: Do you think there will be violence by the May Day immigration protests?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think sanctuary states are worried that if it this trend picks up then their illegal immigration will become bigger due to illegals fleeing to their states thus eventually forcing them to do something about their illegal immigration or they are worried that the federal government might actually do their damn job and crack down on illegal immigration.Either way its bad for the sanctuary states.
    I think they just do it because Republicans passed wonderful and actually helpful legislation that attempts to actually solve the illegal immigration problem. We know these cities don't really care about the issue or immigrants, after all they are criticizing Arizona but not extending sanctuary to the illegals that live there FOXNews.com - Some 'Sanctuary Cities' Fight Arizona's New Immigration Law Without Offering Sanctuary It's all just partisan politics and partisan crying with the race finger being pointed at Arizona. I wouldn't be surprised if counter protests formed around these illegal supporters.

  2. #12
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Do you think there will be violence by the May Day immigration protests?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think they just do it because Republicans passed wonderful and actually helpful legislation that attempts to actually solve the illegal immigration problem.

    And that wonderful legislation will cause illegals to flee to surrounding states that do tolerate illegal immigration.Which as a result may cause other states to follow suit.


    We know these cities don't really care about the issue or immigrants, after all they are criticizing Arizona but not extending sanctuary to the illegals that live there
    They do care about the illegal immigration, no illegals means no tossing the salad of those who harbor and cater to illegals for votes. But at the same time too many illegals can be a problem. So sanctuary states have a stake in this. States doing something about the illegal immigration problem means that more illegals will flee to their states or that the federal government will do something about illegal immigration that does not involve any form of amnesty thus forcing Sanctuary states to do something about it, which will be one less issue for them to exploit for votes.


    FOXNews.com - Some 'Sanctuary Cities' Fight Arizona's New Immigration Law Without Offering Sanctuary
    It's all just partisan politics and partisan crying with the race finger being pointed at Arizona. I wouldn't be surprised if counter protests formed around these illegal supporters.
    Of course they are not going to go out in the open and invite illegals to come to their states. They are not totally stupid. They still have to give some appearance that they care about the law. Openly inviting illegals to come to your state is basically inviting criminals(seeing how illegal immigration is a crime) to come to your town. At most they will advertise that they are sanctuary state or city under the guise of tolerance and other BS.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Do you think there will be violence by the May Day immigration protests?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think they just do it because Republicans passed wonderful and actually helpful legislation that attempts to actually solve the illegal immigration problem. We know these cities don't really care about the issue or immigrants, after all they are criticizing Arizona but not extending sanctuary to the illegals that live there FOXNews.com - Some 'Sanctuary Cities' Fight Arizona's New Immigration Law Without Offering Sanctuary It's all just partisan politics and partisan crying with the race finger being pointed at Arizona. I wouldn't be surprised if counter protests formed around these illegal supporters.
    THis isn't a wonderful law, because it requires law enforcement to violate the rights of American citizens. Law enforcement is not allowed to stop people here unless there is a reasonabile suspicion of criminal activity. In this case, the only basis officers will have to rely on will be physical appearance, because illegals don't act differently than anyone else. Further, American Chicanos and Mexican nationals look the same, thus, a lot of American citizens are going to be stopped and hassled for no reason.

    That's why officers in Arizona have actually filed suit against this law. Not because they're evil social liberals, but because they understand that enforcement of this law will put them in a position of violating constitutional rights against unreasonable search/seizure by law enforcement. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100429/...on_enforcement

    I share your concerns about illegal immigration. However, it seems to me that a better way to deal with it would be to cut off the economic benefits that drive people to immigrate here. Make it harder for illegals to work, severely penalize, including criminal penalties, for the companies that hire illegals. Beef up our requirements for showing proof of residency/citizenship when employees are hired. If need be, create a biometric national i.d.

    But, a law that undermines central constitutional rights (against unreasonable search and seizure) isn't a good path.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 05-01-10 at 02:51 PM.

  4. #14
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Do you think there will be violence by the May Day immigration protests?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    THis isn't a wonderful law, because it requires law enforcement to violate the rights of American citizens. Law enforcement is not allowed to stop people here unless there is a reasonabile suspicion of criminal activity.

    http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf
    B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY
    21 OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS
    22 STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS
    23 UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE,
    24 WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE
    25 PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
    26 PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).


    In this case, the only basis officers will have to rely on will be physical appearance, because illegals don't act differently than anyone else. Further, American Chicanos and Mexican nationals look the same, thus, a lot of American citizens are going to be stopped and hassled for no reason.

    That's why officers in Arizona have actually filed suit against this law. Not because they're evil social liberals, but because they understand that enforcement of this law will put them in a position of violating constitutional rights against unreasonable search/seizure by law enforcement. Lawsuits target AZ law amid calls for boycotts - Yahoo! News
    Someone only gets checked if they are stopped for something else. Hence the Lawful contact part of the bill. Meaning if they get stopped for a traffic violation, loitering, DUI road block checks and etc then they get checked to see if they are here legally. Oklahoma has a similar law except you have to be arrested first.

    I share your concerns about illegal immigration. However, it seems to me that a better way to deal with it would be to cut off the economic benefits that drive people to immigrate here.
    Illegal immigration should be tackled from illegals all the way to those who hire them. It takes two to tango.

    Make it harder for illegals to work, severely penalize, including criminal penalties, for the companies that hire illegals.
    I agree with that.However there are already criminal penalties for hiring illegals. The penalties need to severe.

    Aiding, abetting, harboring, encouraging illegals a felony
    Section 274 felonies under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act, INA 274A(a)(1)(A):

    A person (including a group of persons, business, organization, or local government) commits a federal felony when she or he:

    * assists an alien s/he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S. or who lacks employment authorization, by transporting, sheltering, or assisting him or her to obtain employment, or

    * encourages that alien to remain in the U.S. by referring him or her to an employer or by acting as employer or agent for an employer in any way, or

    * knowingly assists illegal aliens due to personal convictions.

    Penalties upon conviction include criminal fines, imprisonment, and forfeiture of vehicles and real property used to commit the crime. Anyone employing or contracting with an illegal alien without verifying his or her work authorization status is guilty of a misdemeanor. Aliens and employers violating immigration laws are subject to arrest, detention, and seizure of their vehicles or property. In addition, individuals or entities who engage in racketeering enterprises that commit (or conspire to commit) immigration-related felonies are subject to private civil suits for treble damages and injunctive relief.





    Beef up our requirements for showing proof of residency/citizenship when employees are hired. If need be, create a biometric national i.d.
    How would those things stop someone from hiring illegals? If you here legally you have to submit a I-9 form and possibly other documentation which an employer has to check and if you are a citizen you have to submit a SS number which an employer has to check. Someone who is hiring illegals does not check those things why would those same individuals check to see if biometric data on a ID card matches? The REAL ID act is nothing more than a fraud meant to give the government another inch of control over the people which they will try to take a mile.

    But, a law that undermines central constitutional rights (against unreasonable search and seizure) isn't a good path
    Contrary to what the folks at MSNBC(Yes I do watch other media outlets, its how I know they are spreading lies), and other liberal media outlets have been spewing, the law does not do that.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Do you think there will be violence by the May Day immigration protests?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf
    B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY
    21 OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS
    22 STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS
    23 UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE U
    NITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, 24 WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE
    25 PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
    26 PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).
    .
    Based on this, my comments are moot.

  6. #16
    Professor
    Travelsonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,375

    Re: Do you think there will be violence by the May Day immigration protests?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Based on this, my comments are moot.
    The law, and how it is enforced are not always one in the same though, most cops (I hope) will do things right, but nobody should fall into the trap of being naive to think abuse WON'T happen just because of how the bill is worded, provisions, etc.
    Nationalism in high dosages may be hazardous to your health. Please consult a psychiatrist before beginning a regular regimen, and if feelings of elitism and douchbaggery continue, discontinue immediately before you become unable to do so on your own.

  7. #17
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Do you think there will be violence by the May Day immigration protests?

    Well, I voted for Option 3, but my first response was: "What May Day immigration protests?".

    Shows how closely I've been watching the news lately...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #18
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,008

    Re: Do you think there will be violence by the May Day immigration protests?

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    The law, and how it is enforced are not always one in the same though, most cops (I hope) will do things right, but nobody should fall into the trap of being naive to think abuse WON'T happen just because of how the bill is worded, provisions, etc.
    That could be said about any law that is currently on the books. There are good cops, there are some that are not so good. Your point is not a reason to reject the law.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •