View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 9 of 192 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The argument I made has nothing to do with whether or not gays can form their own unions. It is whether or not children can benefit from being raised by an unmarried same sex couple in the same way they can by being raised by a married same sex couple. The evidence I provided shows that marriage provides benefits to those children and therefore government recognition of same sex marriage is in the interest of those children and thus in the interest of general welfare.

    What you continue to fail to do is provide evidence as to why those children should be denied the benefit of being raised by a married couple just because their parents are the same sex.
    As I raised my child as a single parent with no benefits of marriage,... are you saying my rights or my child's rights were somehow violated? Can I get some back pay on that?

  2. #82
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The Constitution told me so.
    Where in the Constitution?

  3. #83
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    As I raised my child as a single parent with no benefits of marriage,... are you saying my rights or my child's rights were somehow violated? Can I get some back pay on that?
    The child's right to be raised by two parents was violated. Your child would have undoubtedly benefited more by being raised by two loving parents than just by one. Society has an interest in promoting marriage in order to provide two parent homes, whether they be different sex or same sex.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    I agree YOU shouldnt care about it so that exactly why YOU shouldnt stop it. Pick one? you said you shouldnt care but "sure"you should stop it, which is it
    Both, and more also. The law should not endorse relationships which are of no value to anyone other than the couple, precisely because there's reason to support them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    also its "common" for marriage to ba about kids but not a rule since gay marriage happened in rome. Its a nice try and spin but not a logical reason to stop it.
    Gay relationships in Rome were not of equals. Gay relationships of Rome were of master and student, of owner and slave, which is why it was illegal for a Roman citizen to be on the receiving end of a sexual encounter.

    Even in feudal Japan where gay relationships were the accepted mainstream norm, such relationships were not assumed to be the same or equal to the husband and wife union.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Where in the Constitution?
    The first Amendment gives me the right to speak out on issues as I see fit.

    DebatePolitics forum rule #1 extends that right onto these private forums.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-01-10 at 04:49 PM.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    fyi Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The child's right to be raised by two parents was violated. Your child would have undoubtedly benefited more by being raised by two loving parents than just by one. Society has an interest in promoting marriage in order to provide two parent homes, whether they be different sex or same sex.
    You are dodging my point.

    You claim that a child with married parents benefits unfairly against a child with un-married (gay) parents,... so would not the child of a single parent be in that same category?

    What "marriage" benefit did she have?

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The child's right to be raised by two parents was violated. Your child would have undoubtedly benefited more by being raised by two loving parents than just by one. Society has an interest in promoting marriage in order to provide two parent homes, whether they be different sex or same sex.
    A child now has a RIGHT to be raised by two parents?

    So, when my mother passed,.. and I was only 18 months old,.. my brother was only 9 days old,... Our rights were violated?

    Who knew?

  8. #88
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    You are dodging my point.

    You claim that a child with married parents benefits unfairly against a child with un-married (gay) parents,... so would not the child of a single parent be in that same category?

    What "marriage" benefit did she have?
    Alright, let's start with single parent raised kids. Society incurs a great cost due to kids who are being raised by only a single parent.

    63% of youth suicides are from single mother homes.

    [U. S. D.H.H.S. Bureau of the Census]

    90% of all homeless and runaway children are from single mother homes.

    85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from single mother homes.

    [Center for Disease Control]

    80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from single mother homes.

    [Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol. 14 p. 403-26]

    71% of all high school dropouts come from single mother homes.

    [National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools]

    70% of juveniles in state operated institutions come from single mother homes

    [U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report, Sept., 1988]

    85% of all youths sitting in prisons grew up in a single mother home.

    [Fulton County Georgia Jail Populations and Texas Dept. of Corrections, 1992]

    Etc. etc.

    Children of single parents pay a large price and society picks up the tab.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    A child now has a RIGHT to be raised by two parents?

    So, when my mother passed,.. and I was only 18 months old,.. my brother was only 9 days old,... Our rights were violated?

    Who knew?
    If it can be argued that one has a "right" to insurance, then any conceivable right to anything can also exist.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Alright, let's start with single parent raised kids. Society incurs a great cost due to kids who are being raised by only a single parent.

    63% of youth suicides are from single mother homes.

    [U. S. D.H.H.S. Bureau of the Census]

    90% of all homeless and runaway children are from single mother homes.

    85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from single mother homes.

    [Center for Disease Control]

    80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from single mother homes.

    [Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol. 14 p. 403-26]

    71% of all high school dropouts come from single mother homes.

    [National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools]

    70% of juveniles in state operated institutions come from single mother homes

    [U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report, Sept., 1988]

    85% of all youths sitting in prisons grew up in a single mother home.

    [Fulton County Georgia Jail Populations and Texas Dept. of Corrections, 1992]

    Etc. etc.

    Children of single parents pay a large price and society picks up the tab.
    You didn't answer my question.

    Where her rights any less violated (in respect to the children of married couples) than a gay couples children are?

    Yes they were or no they were not?

Page 9 of 192 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •