View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 85 of 192 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #841
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Yeah? Well, my evidence is The writings of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

    Oh, sorry, it has to be a best seller? OK, then my source is Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, which has gay characters living peacefully and happily.

    Sorry, I should be ignoring you but you're just too damn easy of a target!
    Queers can live together happily without lying to children. Try sticking to the argument.

  2. #842
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Mine have a basis, yours do not. That was very easy.

    more opinion
    nothing to dispute the OP
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #843
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Beautiful Yadkin Valley
    Last Seen
    09-26-10 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,219

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    bzzt. You misapplied the fallacy.
    I'm sorry that you misunderstood the fallacy.

  4. #844
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    I'm sorry that you misunderstood the fallacy.
    I am sorry you cannot tell the difference between objective and subjective.

  5. #845
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    So about gay marriage in Belgium

    First, in the Civil Code of 1804, mariage was
    - "indissoluble" (once you got married, it was until you died).
    - it was not a private matter, it was the matter of the society (you still get married in front of a judge, and now if you divorce it is also done by a judge)
    - it was hierarchical: the man leads, the wife obeys and has no right
    - don't even think about sex if you're not married

    However, during the 60's, there was the "individualist revolution", and marriage
    - was not eternal anymore, it became much more easy to get divorced, and today it is a right
    - became a private matter
    - became egalitarian, men and women are equal
    - dignity became central: now a husband can be sued for rape on his wife
    - homosexual marriage became acceptable

    Basically, marriage used to be based on transmission of patrimony and feeding/educating kids, today it is based on love, being married is "being free together". The core values of this "privatization" of marriage were freedom and equality.

    When it legalized gay marriage, our government said:

    "The logic that underlied that one of the necessary conditions for marriage was to have two people from different sex, came from the idea that the goal of marriage was procreation. Since people of the same sex are not able to procreate, both the doctrine and the jurisprudence used to consider that the spouses had to be from different sex.

    However, today, this explanation is obsolete. Indeed, children are conceived and born both in and outside marriages, and many wed couples do not consider that procreation is an essential purpose of their marriage. In our society, marriage is felt as a relation between two persons whose main purpose is the creation of a lasting "life community". Marriage offers the two partners the possibility to affirm their relation and their feelings in broad daylight.

    Mentalities having evolved - marriage today being used to exteriorize and to affirm a relation, and has lost its procreative nature - there is no reason anymore not to let people of the same sex get married.


    They also said that giving the right of marriage to gay people was also a way to establish a kind of symbolic equality between heterosexuals and homosexuals.

  6. #846
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Queers can live together happily without lying to children. Try sticking to the argument.
    OK, so your argument is that the Bible is never wrong? And since it's in the Bible, you think it should be the law of the land?

    The Bible also allows for slavery. It says that if you plant two crops next to each other, it's a crime. It's OK to sell your daughter, and if your kids talk back, you are allowed to stone them to death.

    So! How's your campaign in favor of slavery going? I mean, obviously, since the Bible cannot be wrong, you must support that. Otherwise, you'd be an absolute hypocrite, wouldn't you?

  7. #847
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    My evidence is the Bible, still the hottest selling book in the world.

    That was very easy.
    This is both the ciricular resoning and appeal to popularity logical fallacy. The Bible is not evidence that your morals are fact, you cannot use the Bible to prove the Bible is fact, and the Bibile's popularity is meaningless in proving facts.

    You keep trying and you keep failing. Where are those links to research that prove your position?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #848
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    OK, so your argument is that the Bible is never wrong? And since it's in the Bible, you think it should be the law of the land?

    The Bible also allows for slavery. It says that if you plant two crops next to each other, it's a crime. It's OK to sell your daughter, and if your kids talk back, you are allowed to stone them to death.

    So! How's your campaign in favor of slavery going? I mean, obviously, since the Bible cannot be wrong, you must support that. Otherwise, you'd be an absolute hypocrite, wouldn't you?
    Maybe God was just having a bad hair day or PMSing when she dictated those parts.
    I certainly hope SouthernMan takes the lobster prohibition seriously, though.
    I have it on good authority that God really meant that part.
    Also the part about how it's an abomination if men trim the corners of their beards.

  9. #849
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Subjectivist fallacy.
    Good. As is yours. So we agree.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #850
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Morality is not scientific. It doesn't have to be.
    Excellent. Which is why you can neither prove it as factual, nor show evidence that it is better than mine or any one elses. You just proved moral relativity.

    Self-pwnage at it's best.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •