View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 75 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #741
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Well, as you may have guessed from my previous posts, I am of the opinion that marriage has two parts, the legal and the religious.
    Partly because of this, I don’t think government should be involved in ANY marriages (the whole separation of church and state bit).
    Perhaps I’m nuts….
    i dont think your nuts has i like many point you make in posts in general but in this case you are just wrong because marriage can in fact just have one part
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Excellent.
    thought you'd like that

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Well, that would be the effect, but I’m actually supporting it more so that no one can obtain that lawful title.
    i get that but like i said i think that adds to the problem not solves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Trying to correct your English usage in sentences really messes with my responses…But here goes:
    its really not that bad, i could try to slow down but on a message board its hard to for me, im also usually multitasking, but as you pointed out, im doing it poorly i guess

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    It’s not catering to people who want to discriminate, it’s eliminating any real connection between religious marriage and legal marriage by changing the title of legal marriage, thus (IMO) nixing the whole “The word “marriage” is a sacred religious thingy and forcing us to accept those disgusting gays using the word would violate separation of church and state” pseudo-argument”.
    As to it being an obvious dodge, I don’t see it that way at all. I see it as granting those rights completely.
    and you think that people will buy this?
    Im not knocking your logic at its foundation Im asking you to think about it in the reality of america. Even now in politics blue and red are the devil to each other and i think this will not work.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I see it as granting those rights completely.actually, if they insist that the same word be used, they are no better than those who insist the word has religious meaning. It’s just a damn word, and you can use it all you want. Hell, you can even call the legal “civil union” a marriage if you want; no one will be able to say **** about it legally, which is the whole issue anyway.
    they want the word cause that is the current legal standard so i dont think it make them equal to the ones that want them to not use it. In fact I find them hypocritical because the word in the non legal sense is ALREADY used for gays has no one has controlled over the word being used

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Not at all obvious, as my previous responses show (IMO, of course).
    yes it is just opinion of course has is mine but i seriously doubt the masses would buy it

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Ok, what’s with the “(of any large part)” bit? Don’t get that.
    did that because didnt want some saying "technically we all might be black" of that obama isnt full black etc.
    you know somebody might have lol

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    But on to your point: Not a good example, as the presidency has no religious aspect, and thus (IMO) no even tentative reason to complain on religious grounds. And I consider the religious aspect slightly applicable to the gay marriage bit. But we’ve been over that, if memory serves.
    well like you siad I totally disagree because religion plays no rule nor should it when it comes to discrimination which is the issue
    ALSO id have to disagree because many people used religion to keep women and minorities down, the reasons didnt apply then and should now.
    So actually my example could very well be based on religion.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Perhaps
    But if eliminating marriage from government control (except the legal equivalent of it, obviously) requires weathering that storm, so be it..
    so whether the discrimination storm instead of doinf somthing that gets rid of the storm all together, thats why i dont think that makes sense


    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    That would be discrimination. Again, a poor parallel IMO.
    very equal since that could be based on religion also BUT again its not about religion its about discrimination whcih you agree that would be sorry but IMO thats VERY hypocritical of you on this issue, VERY


    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Basically, I see some validity in the argument that:

    Granting the ability to enter into a legal contract entitled “marriage” would in effect force people who disagree with that interpretation of the word to accept it against their religious views. Thus, IMO, violating the whole separation of church and state bit.

    But I don’t think you agree, as we’ve been over that.

    Awhile ago, too.

    Bla.
    I dont agree as there is huge evidence that shows this is NOT the case at all and all validity can be shot down.
    if it was that simple many things already violate that, non legal seen marriage which is already going on. so by default this argument is hugely hypocritical too

    example

    religion marriage alone has no legal rights
    marriage is not owned by religion
    the argument that the word is sacred is invalid for many reasons, a couple being right now gays can get married just not legally recognized. Two the state already marries people WITHOUT religion. So is that marriage being forced on you?

    also if you think they are "separate" then legal marriage has nothing to do with religion which is true, but you want it too. You want the legal to ONLY reflect religion, that would already go against what you are saying hence the hypocrisy.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #742
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    I donít think your nuts has I like many point you make in posts in general but in this case you are just wrong because marriage can in fact just have one part.
    I think weíve been over this already.

    Not that I recall the details.

    I disagree with you, and you disagree with me.
    Each seems unable to convince the other.
    SoÖMeh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    I get that but like I said I think that adds to the problem not solves it.
    How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    And you think that people will buy this?
    Hey, I prefaced this whole bit with ďin my perfect worldĒ.

    Of course they will, itís my world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Iím not knocking your logic at its foundation Iím asking you to think about it in the reality of America. Even now in politics blue and red are the devil to each other and I think this will not work.
    Well, yeah, this topic is far too useful for an actual solution to be reached any time soon.
    Assholes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    They want the word cause that is the current legal standard so I donít think it make them equal to the ones that want them to not use it. In fact I find them hypocritical because the word in the non legal sense is ALREADY used for gays as no one has control over the word being used
    And Iím saying take the legal usage away from everyone, and obviously make no laws restricting the non-legal usageÖAs that would be unconstitutional, methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Yes it is just opinion of course has is mine but I seriously doubt the masses would buy it
    Well, itís my perfect world, so I say they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Did that because didnít want some saying "technically we all might be black" of that Obama isnít full black etc.
    You know somebody might have lol
    UhhÖOk, whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Well like you said I totally disagree because religion plays no rule nor should it when it comes to discrimination which is the issue
    ALSO id have to disagree because many people used religion to keep women and minorities down, the reasons didnít apply then and should now.
    So actually my example could very well be based on religion.
    In a secular sense, discrimination based on reasons other than ability I disagree with and think should be eliminated (or as close as possible to such).

    In the religious sense, trying to eliminate discrimination internal to a religion is up to the religion, and no one else (albeit lessening of membership may nudge them in the right direction).

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    so whether the discrimination storm instead of doing something that gets rid of the storm all together, thatís why I donít think that makes sense
    Nothing will get rid of discrimination altogether, and I have no idea what you think will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Very equal since that could be based on religion also BUT again itís not about religion itís about discrimination which you agree that would be sorry but IMO thatís VERY hypocritical of you on this issue, VERY
    Itís the religious aspect we seem to disagree on here Ė I see it as existing, you do not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    I donít agree as there is huge evidence that shows this is NOT the case at all and all validity can be shot down.
    If it was that simple many things already violate that, non legal seen marriage which is already going on. So by default this argument is hugely hypocritical too

    Example

    Religious marriage alone has no legal rights
    Marriage is not owned by religion
    The argument that the word is sacred is invalid for many reasons, a couple being right now gays can get married just not legally recognized. Two the state already marries people WITHOUT religion. So is that marriage being forced on you?

    Also if you think they are "separate" then legal marriage has nothing to do with religion which is true, but you want it too. You want the legal to ONLY reflect religion, that would already go against what you are saying hence the hypocrisy.
    Weíve rehashed this a couple times alreadyÖ

    I see an argument in it that you do not accept, and thus our disagreement.

    Itíll have to wait till Monday, as the weekend approaches and I will be on hiatus from the forum during it.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #743
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Marriage is between one man and one woman.
    Other than that it is a union.

  4. #744
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I think we’ve been over this already.

    Not that I recall the details.

    I disagree with you, and you disagree with me.
    Each seems unable to convince the other.
    So…Meh.
    well this isnt about convincing or disagreeing it a simple fact

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    How so?
    because theres no reason to think that this will make the people being discriminated against just now be quite i think it will create the opposite effect like my women ceo and black president example.

    it wont be technically getting rid of the discrimination buy side stepping it and i dont think people will buy it, i could be wrong though
    Hey, I prefaced this whole bit with “in my perfect world”.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Of course they will, it’s my world.
    lol fair enough i guess

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Well, yeah, this topic is far too useful for an actual solution to be reached any time soon.
    Assholes.
    agreed this is why i want to just make it equal forget the assholes

    And I’m saying take the legal usage away from everyone, and obviously make no laws restricting the non-legal usage…As that would be unconstitutional, methinks.
    Well, it’s my perfect world, so I say they will.
    Uhh…Ok, whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    In a secular sense, discrimination based on reasons other than ability I disagree with and think should be eliminated (or as close as possible to such).

    In the religious sense, trying to eliminate discrimination internal to a religion is up to the religion, and no one else (albeit lessening of membership may nudge them in the right direction)..
    well since religion wouldnt be effected in reality and religion can still discriminate this point is totally moot

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Nothing will get rid of discrimination altogether, and I have no idea what you think will..
    i agree but that doesnt mean we should chip away at it every chance we get this is america
    rather get rid of it than empower it or let them win one

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    It’s the religious aspect we seem to disagree on here – I see it as existing, you do not.
    thats because it doesnt based on any existing logic over discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    IWe’ve rehashed this a couple times already…

    I see an argument in it that you do not accept, and thus our disagreement.

    It’ll have to wait till Monday, as the weekend approaches and I will be on hiatus from the forum during it.
    fair enough but weve rehashed it because IMO your argument makes a circle and is inconsistent and hypocritical per you explanation but maybe im missing something

    have a good weekend
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #745
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Marriage is between one man and one woman.
    Other than that it is a union.
    Except in all the places where it isn't.

    Your marriage definition is being changed all over the world and in the United States as well. More and more states are allowing it, and it won't be that long before they all do. Might as well get used to it. It's going to happen, I guarantee it.

  6. #746
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    "Get married to the person you love" comes to mind.
    I love my mom. I'm not allowed to marry her. I love my dad, I;m not allowed to marry him. I love my brother and sister, and I'm not allowed to marry either of them. I have no more interest in marrying a girl right now than a gay man does.

    Clearly your response is inaccurate.

  7. #747
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Also join the army comes to mind? =]
    That answer is much closer to accurate, though technically gays can join the army. It would be more accurate to say that I can speak freely about my sexual conquests while in the army.

  8. #748
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    LMAO!
    Glad I could amuse.

    you are funny and now its confirmed you must be trolling. blah blah blah etc...
    Your lack of rebuttal is telling.

    It is really pretty simple. The licensing of marriage is an innately discriminatory practice that gives some privilege over others as a reward for their sexual pairing. Allowing anyone, blacks, gays, whites, blondes, or other to participate in such a discriminatory process only spreads the discrimination around like a kid spreading his vegetables around on his plate. The vegetables are still there no matter how you arrange them.

    The only real solution is to abolish the licensing of marriage altogether. If, as I heard so many people say, its none of the governments business if two consenting adults want to get married, then it should be NONE OF THE GOVERNMENT'S business, and they should stay out of it altogether.

    Allowing the government to license marriage is an admission that it IS the governments business, and as such the arbitrary criteria for determining who can marry who is completely at the discretion of the slimeball politicians pandering to their respective bases.

    It should be no one's business but the people getting married.

  9. #749
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Glad I could amuse.



    Your lack of rebuttal is telling.

    It is really pretty simple. The licensing of marriage is an innately discriminatory practice that gives some privilege over others as a reward for their sexual pairing. Allowing anyone, blacks, gays, whites, blondes, or other to participate in such a discriminatory process only spreads the discrimination around like a kid spreading his vegetables around on his plate. The vegetables are still there no matter how you arrange them.

    The only real solution is to abolish the licensing of marriage altogether. If, as I heard so many people say, its none of the governments business if two consenting adults want to get married, then it should be NONE OF THE GOVERNMENT'S business, and they should stay out of it altogether.

    Allowing the government to license marriage is an admission that it IS the governments business, and as such the arbitrary criteria for determining who can marry who is completely at the discretion of the slimeball politicians pandering to their respective bases.

    It should be no one's business but the people getting married.
    telling? i agree
    nothing to reply to since you offered nothing of substance

    you want to get rid of marriage fine thats a different topic and still does nothing to the OP and criteria, nor change that its discrimination thanks
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #750
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I love my mom. I'm not allowed to marry her. I love my dad, I;m not allowed to marry him. I love my brother and sister, and I'm not allowed to marry either of them. I have no more interest in marrying a girl right now than a gay man does.

    Clearly your response is inaccurate.
    actually his response is 100% accurate as you didnt contest it one bit you only gave other examples per you opinion LOL

    if this was still a time when women and minorites couldnt vote and he said "minorities cant vote its discrimination" and you reply "women cant vote either so no its not" that doesnt change the fact that it is still discrimination that minorites cant vote
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •