It was just an FYI, general thank you and courtesy post. Is that ok? lmao
But you're right there probably wont be anything new, only the law changing, my guess is 20 years a the longest but wont be surprised if its half that
"Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run
Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.
1. That gays can lead happy, functional lives.
2. That homosexual behavior is and always has been very prevalent in nature.
3. That there is biological factors that likely contribute to a homosexual orientation.
4. That future sexual orientation is largely predictable even in early childhood.
5. That societal stigma towards gays does have lasting detrimental effects.
6. That attempting to change sexual orientation is only minimally successful if at all.
7. That there are 8 to 10 million children of gays and lesbians in the country who could benefit from gay marriage, in addition to tens of thousands of foster care kids.
8. That the latest 25 years of research has shown that same sex couples can raise children who are no better or worse adjusted than those raised by opposite sex couples.
9. That heterosexual marriages have actually increased in countries which legalize gay marriages. (Exception in countries which have civil unions for both straights and gays.)
10. That when states legalize gay marriage, it does not change heterosexual marriages in any real conceivable way and in fact, Massachusetts which first legalized gay marriage holds the lowest rate of divorce.
So basically that leaves social conservatives to argue "ideals" over the facts, and their ideals in this area are actually costing society in the long run and proving detrimental, and it is unlikely that the younger generation is going to take it for much longer. Whatever ideal a person has for marriage is irrelevant when the ideal of civil marriage is that it exists to improve the welfare of society by providing stable relationships and good homes for children. Social conservatives can't win a civil argument with religious motivations forever and propaganda and fear mongering on this issue may stall it, but its going to rob them of credibility down the road on much more important issues that actually impact society.
Last edited by CriticalThought; 05-10-10 at 01:29 AM.