View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 59 of 192 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #581
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Your statement is misleading.

    Part of the "Parenting Ability" I spoke of includes knowing when you shouldn't be having another kid...
    Touche.

  2. #582
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    That is an extended family. The moment you include grandparents, it is not a nuclear family. If you wish to redefine it arbitrarily then have at it, but it makes your argument irrelevant.
    Thanks for being disingenuous. It comes off well.

    Grandparents are not extended family as far as most people are concerned.

    I am not trying to redefine anything, it is a simple term...

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Wow, you really have no clue.
    And now you resort to personal attacks after I already admitted I used the term incorrectly. Nice.

    We are done here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #583
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Thanks for being disingenuous. It comes off well.

    Grandparents are not extended family as far as most people are concerned.

    I am not trying to redefine anything, it is a simple term...

    And now you resort to personal attacks after I already admitted I used the term incorrectly. Nice.

    We are done here.
    Sigh...it's a debate forum. You made an incorrect assertion and stood by it without any evidence to substantiate your arguments. I apologize if I came across as crass, but the purpose of this forum is to destroy such flimsy arguments. Don't pretend like you wouldn't have done the same to me had you had the chance.

  4. #584
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Sigh...it's a debate forum. You made an incorrect assertion and stood by it without any evidence to substantiate your arguments. I apologize if I came across as crass, but the purpose of this forum is to destroy such flimsy arguments. Don't pretend like you wouldn't have done the same to me had you had the chance.
    Apology accepted. I did not realize I was using the term wrong. The whole time I was talking about the "extended family" and did not realize it.

    Well in such a manor, no. Although I would have went into the basement.

    I have never thought of grand parents as being extended.

    Ok I guess I was wrong then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #585
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No real comparison has been done. I have seen some of the studies. Most were not even long enough to jump to any real conclusions and are the equivalent of an educated guess.

    The success of the family unit is absolutely relevant.
    As long as you understand that that fact has zero bearing on the fact that the success of a same-sex family unit has been shown to be equivalent, we have no argument.



    A few hundred vs a few hundred billion raised by a mother and a father.
    Irrelevant. Just because there are far fewer incidents does not equate to the success of the types of families.



    My comment is completly accurate.
    No it's not.

    I tell you what, Jerry made a good point. As soon as they do a study where the extended family is not a variable, you may be able to say that.
    Firstly, since the extended family will effect both scenarios, this would prove nothing. And, once they eliminate as a variable, YOU might be able to make your claim, but until then, you have no evidence. Time period is irrelevant.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #586
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    See I included the "it's my understanding" so that it wouldn't sound like a claim. Oh well, I guess I need an English comp class.

    That's how I understood previous studies linked to in these discussions. I accept the fact that I'm likely not recalling the data accurately which is why I'm looking for clarification.

    If Blackdog's religious opinion has merit, then an appropriate study examining this interaction should shed some light on how it's accurate...assuming such a study has ever been don.
    Here's what I've read. Jerry. Children from any kind of family structure can get role modeling either inside or outside the family. From what I've read, regardless of the sex of the parents, positive involvement by extended family adds to the success of the child. I don't have studies handy to show this, but if I looked, I'd be that's what I'd find... across the board. The saying, "it takes a village" isn't so far from the truth. The more positive role models that a child has in their life, the more options they have if issues present themselves.

    I do not think that any study has been done that separates out extended family, when looking at child success in same-sex vs. traditional families. My guess would be that there would be little or no difference based on the importance of the extended family in general, but that's just a guess.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #587
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You did not read Jerry's comment I think?

    Same sex couples when dealing with children use extended family to fill the gender gap in child rearing. Opposite sex couples do not have to do this. The extended family is not as important to child rearing as it would be or is for same sex couples.

    This is part of what makes heterosexual partnership in child rearing optimal compared to anything else.



    Look again.
    I do not think this is what Jerry was saying at all, and since there is no empirical evidence to prove this, unless you have some, I reject this. It is not what evidence in child-rearing studies have shown.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #588
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    As long as you understand that that fact has zero bearing on the fact that the success of a same-sex family unit has been shown to be equivalent, we have no argument.
    Has absolutly nothing to do with it.

    It does not make the male female family unit less than optimal.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Irrelevant. Just because there are far fewer incidents does not equate to the success of the types of families.
    In this case the success rate is indisputable by centuries.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No it's not.
    Well according to history I think it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Firstly, since the extended family will effect both scenarios, this would prove nothing. And, once they eliminate as a variable, YOU might be able to make your claim, but until then, you have no evidence. Time period is irrelevant.
    Again it boils down to a lot of "ifs" on your part. I will stick with what is tried and true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #589
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Please explain how "just may" is optimal? It's not.
    If the trusting relationship exists, it would be optimal.



    Not in all cases and teenagers more often than not, will not fit into that mold.

    The relationship is key I agree. But your mother or mother is not going to be able to help you with certain problems or be a male role model and visa versa.
    You are not correct. The relationship is more important that the sex of the parent. Again, in studies done, children who had same sex parents reported having no issues discussing things with them.



    You mite as well say facts don't cut it.
    Except your naturalistic fallacies are not facts.



    Just because you feel it is not accurate has nothing to do with my intentions. So far you have not shown it to be incorrect.
    You have proven nothing accurate. All of your claims go to the traditional or naturalistic logical fallacy, neither of which proves anything.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #590
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I do not think this is what Jerry was saying at all, and since there is no empirical evidence to prove this, unless you have some, I reject this. It is not what evidence in child-rearing studies have shown.
    I reject the studies as to short and to many educated guesses. Maybe in the next 50 years it will be different, but I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •