View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 44 of 192 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #431
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Who says? Does Christianity say this too? That's mostly opinion.
    No. It's a fact children do better with a mother and a father.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    You know, single parents adopt children and raise them successfully.
    Yes they do. Most of us are not against a gay couple adopting or having the same rights, it's not a marriage. It is a civil union recognized by the state, and the state alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Personally I know of one gay couple who have a stable family with two kids, I'm sure there are others. But that's my opinion, haven't found any facts to back that up yet.
    And I know plenty of gay couples that don't. Or have switched partners so many times it is confusing.

    Anecdotal evidence proves nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #432
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    They deserve loving and supportive care givers, that is what they deserve. A couple of the best parents that I know are gay men and their son is hetero and they are happy simply because they have a son and they are a loving family...
    So what? I have a happy family that has a mother and a father.

    So what is your point? You know a happy gay couple? So do I, and hundreds of happy hetero couples.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Fertility issues ARE naturally impossible
    I don't understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #433
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The law was passed by a simple vote of the people. The state Constitution was amended to state what marriage is. Had nothing to do with being a religious law or supporting any particular religion in this case and any of the others I know of.
    The original ban was there on religious grounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Discrimination' is nothing more than a sociological construct solely by class or category. Discrimination is the actual behavior toward another group.

    So yes it would be, and it was.

    Somehow discrimination has come to be a derogatory term when it is not.

    Females are discriminated against in the military for certain jobs. People are discriminated against because of physical ability. People are discriminated against because of a lack of education.

    None of these are necessarily wrong or evil. It is just a term meaning denied by class or category.
    Yes, however, arbitrary discrimination is wrong. For what reason is this distinction not arbitrary?
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #434
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    The original ban was there on religious grounds
    Could you post some evidence?

    I don't know so I am asking.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Yes, however, arbitrary discrimination is wrong. For what reason is this distinction not arbitrary?
    Depends on who you ask I would think.

    I mean I don't think it's arbitrary at all in the case of gay marriage. I am certain other people who disagree think it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #435
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Could you post some evidence?

    I don't know so I am asking.
    I don't really feel like digging through links so I'll just concede that point for now. As I've said, just because, a majority supports a bill, doesn't make it the right decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Depends on who you ask I would think.
    I'd like to hear your answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I mean I don't think it's arbitrary at all in the case of gay marriage. I am certain other people who disagree think it is.
    Why isn't it? Also, as I've asked before how does consenting adults negatively affect you or society as a whole?
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  6. #436
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yes they do. Most of us are not against a gay couple adopting or having the same rights, it's not a marriage. It is a civil union recognized by the state, and the state alone.
    I think I found the core of our disagreement here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say we agree that both Heterosexual and Homosexual should have the same legal rights. We just disagree is on the actual marriage part. My proposal is that both groups get the same legal rights, we call them civil unions, and we leave the marriage stuff to private institutions who can discriminate as they see fit.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  7. #437
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No. It's a fact children do better with a mother and a father.
    Okay first of all, where is that said?

    Second, regardless of that question, it's essentially up to the couple (whether straight or gay) and the compatibility of the child that determines whether a child is adopted, right?

    Therefore, whatever happens, its essentially a choice issue no? It affects no one else. The reason I say it affects no one else is because straight families and gay families have the same likelihood of being dysfunctional or unstable.

    And I know plenty of gay couples that don't. Or have switched partners so many times it is confusing.
    Anecdotal evidence proves nothing.


  8. #438
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So what? I have a happy family that has a mother and a father.
    Good for you. This does not negate my point that two gay people can do the same. In fact, it affirms it by showing that being a happy family is the end goal.

    So what is your point? You know a happy gay couple? So do I, and hundreds of happy hetero couples.
    And how does any of this show that two gay people should not be a family or be able to marry one another.

    I don't understand?
    Basically he put down gays and made an exception for infertile couples but both make childbirth naturally impossible. This just logically shot down his argument... that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #439
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No. It's a fact children do better with a mother and a father.
    What a load of junk. Children do best with care givers/parents that love them and set up a structured and nurturing environment. Don't try and pain the mom dad life as rosey. Abusive ****bag parents of any sex or orientation suck and I would say that the majority of these ****bags are heterosexual mom/dad run families...

    Yes they do. Most of us are not against a gay couple adopting or having the same rights, it's not a marriage. It is a civil union recognized by the state, and the state alone.
    It can be marriage if those that are illogically fear bound and against it would simply stop pressuring politicians to keep it illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #440
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    1.) sorry but this may be the biggest stretch of the imagination i have every heard, its pure propaganda. You would not be forced to accept it by any stretch of the imgination. If that silliness was true I guess people are "forced" to accept cussing, premartial sex, nudity, masturbation, tattoos, etc etc etc LMAO

    gues people are forced to accept meat can be consumed at any time because McDoalds always sells it, right? LMAO hahahahahahahahah sorry thats pure nonsense. You and your church could still teach, preach and believe what ever you want. Nice try but I live in reality
    Obviously you would not be forced to accept it in your own mind. But as you yourself stated, one would be forced to accept it legally. Which I find at least somewhat unacceptable.

    And your example comparisons are not valid.

    And again with the "you, your, etc." I am not a member of any church. I believe the best description of my stance is Agnostic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    2.) well didnt you imply this would change? it wouldnt and if you didnt it was meaningless to talk about
    I should hope I didn't imply any such thing.

    And, yes, it was meaningless to talk about, which is why I responded with “Isn’t that what I just said?”

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    3.) wrong a different name is easily discrimination its that simple. You are picking and choosing when you want to go by the law and religion but i wont let you. If you agree religion is different than law the then LAW name has NO impact on religion so pick one, i wont let you have it both ways LMAO
    No.

    If all legal marriages are called the same thing, it is obviously not a "different name", and quite the opposite of discrimination.

    As to the legal name usage having no effect…That is obviously BS. If the legal usage of the term “marriage” had no effect, no one would care about gay marriage.

    It is partially because people consider the very term “marriage” to be sacred that there IS such debate over it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    4.) more BS, the LAW is already doing that NOW and religion hasnt changed so unless the real world becomes your fantasy land this point is meaningless. The law already defines TONS of things different LMAO next.
    The "LAW" is doing what now?

    And what are you ranting about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    5.) but you will stop others from having equal rights, see thats called a hypocrite.
    WTF??? I thought I had specifically stated that I would NOT stop others from having equal rights. In fact my suggestion was one of equal rights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    6.) its actually NOT an unfair comparison at all, i said it was for humor and extreme but changing the name of something based on YOUR religion but ignoring everybody else;s religions or beliefs is in fact discrimination.

    Did you not say you dont want it called marriage? if you did yes you do want it called something different
    First, this is not based on my religion, as I don't really have one.

    Second, I never suggested naming gay marriage something different, which is what you seem to think I suggested.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    7/) like i said there is only ONE type of marriage in this debate because the other kind is in fact SECONDARY to the debate and NOT impact by the debate LMAO not my fault you just dont get that LOL
    There are currently two types of marriage.

    Both are intertwined to an extent, and even if you renamed the legal part, they would still be intertwined.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    8.) eventhough people marry that never want to have kids? whooops nice try more empty propaganda

    and you religious right to marry wouldnt get impacted one bit, thats a FACT you keep repeating it like it will be but it wont be in reality LMAO
    I never suggested that any religious right to marry would be effected.

    Any law doing so would quickly be struck down as unconstitutional.

    I was simply stating fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    9.) actually its the forcing of matter that you are making up because religion doesnt have to change you keep debating a fallacy
    I never said religion would change. Did I?

    Please point out where.
    Last edited by The Mark; 05-04-10 at 10:39 PM.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •