View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 25 of 192 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #241
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Violating Criminal law is not the sole item which qualifies an act as "illegal"

    If I went out to the bar this evening and hooked up with someone, I would be committing a criminal act and could face a Court Martial as I am still legally married, so yes there absolutely is a criminal nature to adultery.
    For illegal things, yes. There are many forms of contract in which a legal act could in fact be a violation of that contract and thus breech the terms of contract. In such case, you go to civil court. Adultery is not illegal, you will never be arrested for it. The only thing it can be used as is in terms of contract. And that is because people have the right to contract. If there was criminal nature to adultery, you would be criminally charged when committing it. But there is no such thing, so no there absolutely is not a criminal nature to adultery. No matter how much you wish it to be true to make your point.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #242
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    And yet it's not happening. So again you are screaming at the air.
    The government has oft overstepped boundaries. Trying to excuse tyranny with tyranny doesn't make a good argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So? Their are consequences. Does not matter if they are criminal in nature.
    For the context of the argument, yes it does. Adultery is considered breech of contract in many states for the marriage contract. It is not an illegal act, it is not a criminal act. It is purely civil, purely circumstantial, and entirely up to the individuals whom have forged the contract.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #243
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,547

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The government has oft overstepped boundaries. Trying to excuse tyranny with tyranny doesn't make a good argument.
    It has nothing to do with excusing anything or tyranny. It has to do with that is the way our system works. You are free to use the system to get what you think is fair, and I will do the same. It is simple.

    Then later if it is found to be unconstitutional, it can again be changed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    For the context of the argument, yes it does. Adultery is considered breech of contract in many states for the marriage contract. It is not an illegal act, it is not a criminal act. It is purely civil, purely circumstantial, and entirely up to the individuals whom have forged the contract.
    Again so what? It has consequences in most cases. It's again pretty simple.

    Are you going to threaten me with a bullet or revolution again?

    Not baiting, just thought that was funny. No need to reply to it.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-03-10 at 04:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #244
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    All action has consequence, it is an effect of action. That doesn't make something illegal. As the context was using religion to make things illegal, and adultery is not illegal. Thanks for keeping up.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #245
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,547

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    All action has consequence, it is an effect of action.
    Yes.

    But all reactions are NOT the same depending on the action. The reaction is not an absolute, only that their is one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That doesn't make something illegal. As the context was using religion to make things illegal, and adultery is not illegal. Thanks for keeping up.
    You keep harping about religion keeping something illegal when it is only a part of the equation. You need to open your eyes and understand what I am saying.

    Even when I was NOT A CHRISTIAN. I did not support gay marriage. As a Christian I still don't support it and never will. If I was to become an atheist tomorrow I would still not support it.

    It does not matter if it is illegal or not. Their are consequences for breaking the marital contract. It does not matter if it is criminal or civil. The reaction is not the same in all cases, this is a fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #246
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Why does it matter if its called marriage, thats in fact what it would be?
    Welll... if it doesn't matter, then call it a 'civil union' and be done with it.

  7. #247
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yes.

    But all reactions are NOT the same depending on the action. The reaction is not an absolute, only that their is one.
    Everything is situation dependent, especially when dealing with consequences of contract and suing for breech of contract. But the fact is adultery is not in and of itself illegal; which was the original contention to that point. Which is why I've said that over and over again. I don't know how much clearer to make it. The original point was saying it's ok to use religion to make law and someone pointed to adultery. But adultery is not illegal. Depending on context of contract, it can be considered breech of contract and one party may sue the other for just that. But it's not an illegal act. That was the point of it all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You keep harping about religion keeping something illegal when it is only a part of the equation. You need to open your eyes and understand what I am saying.

    Even when I was NOT A CHRISTIAN. I did not support gay marriage. As a Christian I still don't support it and never will. If I was to become an atheist tomorrow I would still not support it.

    It does not matter if it is illegal or not. Their are consequences for breaking the marital contract. It does not matter if it is criminal or civil. The reaction is not the same in all cases, this is a fact.
    Christianity is not the only religion. Saying you were not Christian doesn't mean a damned thing. And you could have other bigotries which you base your decision off of as well; so again, you've said nothing. What you have said is that you believe that your bigotries should be exploited through law at the expense of the rights of a specific group. That is a fact.
    Last edited by Ikari; 05-03-10 at 05:08 PM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #248
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Welll... if it doesn't matter, then call it a 'civil union' and be done with it.
    That's fine and dandy once you get rid of the Marriage License.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #249
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's fine and dandy once you get rid of the Marriage License.
    My point was that if it doesnt matter if it called 'marriage' or not, then there's no reason the same-sex union needs to be called 'marriage'.
    BUT, that won't be acceptable.

  10. #250
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    My point was that if it doesnt matter if it called 'marriage' or not, then there's no reason the same-sex union needs to be called 'marriage'.
    BUT, that won't be acceptable.
    I don't really think it matters either. But so long as the Marriage License exists as a government issued and recognized contract, then all should have their right to contract recognized. In the end, I think it's all a big semantics game and I don't know why either side is so entrenched in their definitions. The best solution is to remove the marriage license all together, return marriage to a purely religious affair and let the churches worry about it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •