View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 189 of 192 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1881
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Actually, the modern concept of marriage is most likely a construct of the early Catholic church.
    So you mean nuns are really married to Jesus whose body many practice ritualized cannibalism on the first Sunday of the month?

  2. #1882
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    It's without foundation on ANY scale. The pro side has foundation in smaller groups.



    Sure. And you have mentioned some. And the ones that you have mentioned have been more beneficial to society than they have been harmful.



    mac, you have a tendency to take general positions of mine and try to turn them into more narrow ones. I never said "Christianity". I said religion. That encompasses all religions. Remember, the OT dates back further than the beginnings of Chrstianity. Further, though most of the societies that we have information on are since the birth of Christ, those that date back further had their own religous or moral reasonings. Non-acceptance of homosexuality in societies has been near exclusively a religious/morality issue. It has only been recently that science has demonstrated that these beliefs are faulty.
    Well, Capt. I think this really boils down to different viewpoints on a lot of the same things. I don't think in the cases that I've mentioned, that the good does outweigh the bad and in many others that we could continue discussinf for eons. If two people look at the exact same information, they can often derive two entirely different assumptions from it.

    I think there are too many unfortunate assumptions made about the opposition on both sides of this discussion. People are so quick to label. One the one side there are tree huggin, fruit bats, on the other Religious zealots and bigots. Unfortunately for those of in the middle of that spectrum, we have to deal with insults, in order to have a stance.

    I wouldn't have participated in this discussion for this long if it were simply my intention to tell everyone how wrong they are, I really do want to to hear the justifications from both sides on this issue. Both Capt and Rogue have offerd up legitimate challenges to my position that will leave me thinking for some time, however at present I still beleive in my position on this.

    I don't judge everything to be right or wrong because it's written in some book, or because that's just the way it is. But I don't automatically accept everything that is a challenge to "just the way it is" either. There is plenty to be said for convetional wisdom, and at times it does need to be challenged. My kids, in fact, challenge me all the time. It makes me sit back and think about why I feel a certain way.

    Thanks to all that have discussed this with me respectfully. It's often very difficult to debate with someone respectfully, and my hat is off to both Rogue and Capt. I don't feel this is progressing, so I'm going to bow out of the thread.

    My parting shot thoug is that I feel we all to some extent or the other, selectively choose the information we use to support and otherwise ignore the information that doesn't support our positions. Me included.

  3. #1883
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Well, Capt. I think this really boils down to different viewpoints on a lot of the same things. I don't think in the cases that I've mentioned, that the good does outweigh the bad and in many others that we could continue discussinf for eons. If two people look at the exact same information, they can often derive two entirely different assumptions from it.

    I think there are too many unfortunate assumptions made about the opposition on both sides of this discussion. People are so quick to label. One the one side there are tree huggin, fruit bats, on the other Religious zealots and bigots. Unfortunately for those of in the middle of that spectrum, we have to deal with insults, in order to have a stance.

    I wouldn't have participated in this discussion for this long if it were simply my intention to tell everyone how wrong they are, I really do want to to hear the justifications from both sides on this issue. Both Capt and Rogue have offerd up legitimate challenges to my position that will leave me thinking for some time, however at present I still beleive in my position on this.

    I don't judge everything to be right or wrong because it's written in some book, or because that's just the way it is. But I don't automatically accept everything that is a challenge to "just the way it is" either. There is plenty to be said for convetional wisdom, and at times it does need to be challenged. My kids, in fact, challenge me all the time. It makes me sit back and think about why I feel a certain way.

    Thanks to all that have discussed this with me respectfully. It's often very difficult to debate with someone respectfully, and my hat is off to both Rogue and Capt. I don't feel this is progressing, so I'm going to bow out of the thread.

    My parting shot thoug is that I feel we all to some extent or the other, selectively choose the information we use to support and otherwise ignore the information that doesn't support our positions. Me included.
    I disagree with your position and your reasoning for the most part, but as opposed to most I debate this issue with, you handled yourself respectfully and intelligently. I found some of your arguments quite logical, and I probably thanked more of your posts than I have any "anti" in a long time. You, for the most part, did not use standard "anti" talking points, and were not degrading in anyway.

    Though I disagree with you, you have earned my respect, sir.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #1884
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, actually, that is my point.
    You can't be serious... your point is that in 1,000 years something bad may or may not happen as a result of allowing same sex marriage? That is not much of an argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #1885
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    wow 189 pages and 1884 posts

    Update

    Lets check the count, how many sound, reasonable, logical, non-bais, non-selfish, non-arrogant, non-hypercritical, non anti-american reason are there to "Stop" gay marriage

    GOOD REASONS: 0

    still holding strong
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #1886
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    wow 189 pages and 1884 posts

    Update

    Lets check the count, how many sound, reasonable, logical, non-bais, non-selfish, non-arrogant, non-hypercritical, non anti-american reason are there to "Stop" gay marriage

    GOOD REASONS: 0

    still holding strong
    Hey, this thread died of old age and lack of discussion...How dare you revive it!

    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #1887
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Hey, this thread died of old age and lack of discussion...How dare you revive it!

    whoooooooooooo meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

    just wanted to check the count and see if it changed
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #1888
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    08-17-10 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    151

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Most Americans do NOT want gay marriage. They have voted it down dozens of times. The gay judge who just ruled for it should have recused himself.

  9. #1889
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by chickie View Post
    Most Americans do NOT want gay marriage. They have voted it down dozens of times. The gay judge who just ruled for it should have recused himself.
    Why shoud he have recused himself?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #1890
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    08-17-10 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    151

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Because he is gay. He is not objective. He was doing what HE wanted, not what the voters want.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •