View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 187 of 192 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1861
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Why should you assume others have the capacity to change their sexual orientation at will, when you can not?
    What kind of sense does that make?

    Do you also assume they can change skin color at will?
    Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

  2. #1862
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?
    Why yes, in fact. I was born in one.

  3. #1863
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?
    That's not changing orientation. That's changing behavior. Heterosexuals engaging in homosexual behavior because of power and availability. Doesn't change their sexual orientation at all.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #1864
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Why yes, in fact. I was born in one.
    I was born in a Turkish bath, so that probably means we're related in some odd way.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #1865
    Educator
    Anarcho-fascist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    T E X A S !
    Last Seen
    09-26-14 @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,069
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    I didn't choose to find women attractive, I just do. Saying sexual orientation is a choice doesn't make much sense to me.

  6. #1866
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    That's not changing orientation. That's changing behavior. Heterosexuals engaging in homosexual behavior because of power and availability. Doesn't change their sexual orientation at all.
    Maybe. But how do you know it can't be changed? Have you tried to change yours? If you can't prove what "caused" an orientation, how can you prove it can't be changed? How can you prove that greater acceptance, lack of associated stigma, and greater prevalance of homosexuality in the developing environment of children will not have an impact on the chances of developing into a homosexual? Studies that indicate that children raised by homosexuals can develop into heterosexual isn't enough to prove that, since there have been no societies that have fully embraced homosexuality for more than a generation. Long term effect is unknown.
    Last edited by mac; 06-26-10 at 09:10 PM.

  7. #1867
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarcho-fascist View Post
    I didn't choose to find women attractive, I just do. Saying sexual orientation is a choice doesn't make much sense to me.
    I agree with you. Though there is no emprical evidence that proves what causes one's sexual orientation, this makes the most sense. It's kinda like asking you why your favorite food is your favorite food.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #1868
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Maybe. But how do you know it can't be changed? Have you tried to change yours? If you can't prove what "caused" an orientation, how can you prove it can't be changed? How can you prove that greater acceptance, lack of associated stigma, and greater prevalance of homosexuality in the developing environment of children will not have an impact on the chances of developing into a homosexual? Studies that indicate that children raised by homosexuals can develop into heterosexual isn't enough to prove that, since there have been no societies that have fully embraced homosexuality for more than a generation. Long term affect is unknown.
    You keep going with the "negative societal effect" argument. I haven't addressed it, because I dismiss it as narrow-minded. All societal changes have positive and negative effects. A good gauge on the levels of these on society as a whole, is looking at how this effects smaller groups. Families would be one small group to explore. Research certainly shows that gay parents do NOT produce gay children any more than straight parents. Just like gay parents produce straight children at the same levels as straight parents. Your "negative societal effect" argument is completely without foundation, whereas the opposite has some data to support it.

    In as far as whether sexual orientation can be changed, no, I've never seen it. I've seen sexual BEHAVIOR change, but not orientation. I've argued this issue with Jerry for years.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #1869
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Wheather or nor a person is religious isn't likely to become a problem, for the religious, since marriage between man and woman doesn't viloate their fundamental principle. But no, assuming the attempt was made to so restrict marriage, I wouldn't support it.



    This stance assumes that one is born gay as they are born black, white, or other. If that were indeed true, I would support it. Right now, I don't beleive there is evidence to support the "born gay" argument. As I said before, if I am proven wrong on this, I would gladly support it.
    So you don't see the hypocrisy in saying that you are against rules that would restrict marriage according to religious beliefs, when religion is most definitely a choice, but that you are not against rules that restrict marriage according to sexuality because it may be a choice, although that is not conclusive? And there is plenty of evidence to support the "born gay" argument, because the same evidence is true for someone to be "born straight".

    Also, there were actually a lot of state with interracial marriage bans that included Indians and Chinese, as well as blacks. Some states said that everyone had to marry within their own race, and others just restricted who whites could or could not marry. Just to clarify.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #1870
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You keep going with the "negative societal effect" argument. I haven't addressed it, because I dismiss it as narrow-minded. All societal changes have positive and negative effects. A good gauge on the levels of these on society as a whole, is looking at how this effects smaller groups. Families would be one small group to explore. Research certainly shows that gay parents do NOT produce gay children any more than straight parents. Just like gay parents produce straight children at the same levels as straight parents. Your "negative societal effect" argument is completely without foundation, whereas the opposite has some data to support it.

    In as far as whether sexual orientation can be changed, no, I've never seen it. I've seen sexual BEHAVIOR change, but not orientation. I've argued this issue with Jerry for years.
    Why is it that homosexuality has existed throughout the known history of our species and yet though tolerated, it's never been accepted? Further, marriage is a societal function, why wouldn't negative societal impact be a concern? I think ignoring it is narrow minded.
    Last edited by mac; 06-26-10 at 09:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •