View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 186 of 192 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1851
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    A good portion of society did not find interracial marriage acceptable. .
    At the time of Loving vs Virginia the polls were running around 70% against interracial marriage.

  2. #1852
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    At the time of Loving vs Virginia the polls were running around 70% against interracial marriage.
    I really have been having trouble finding accurate numbers on this, with links. I know that in some states, especially in the South, it was definitely at those percentages, but I have seen some polls that have it closer to 50/50 for/against. I know that acceptance of homosexual marriage seems to mirror acceptance of interracial marriage back during that time.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #1853
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I really have been having trouble finding accurate numbers on this, with links. I know that in some states, especially in the South, it was definitely at those percentages, but I have seen some polls that have it closer to 50/50 for/against. I know that acceptance of homosexual marriage seems to mirror acceptance of interracial marriage back during that time.

    It was a gallup poll I think and it was national. Here is a contemporary summation from gallup.

    Most Americans Approve of Interracial Marriages

    Sorry I'm sitting in a bar with a really slow wifi connection otherwise I would find the exact poll I was thinking of.

  4. #1854
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The benefits of marriage are given by the government. We are talking about civil marriage in this discussion. It doesn't matter what a religion or certain people wish to accept/recognize as marriage. It matters that the laws governing marriage are treat people equally. So I'll ask again, if a state, let's say Utah, decides that they want to deny marriage to couples of different religions, would it be okay? Would it be okay if a state denied marriage to couples who weren't religious?
    Wheather or nor a person is religious isn't likely to become a problem, for the religious, since marriage between man and woman doesn't viloate their fundamental principle. But no, assuming the attempt was made to so restrict marriage, I wouldn't support it.

    BTW, I'll add that marriage is not fully in the hands of what society finds acceptable. A good portion of society did not find interracial marriage acceptable. Interracial marriage was deemed to be protected because marriage is a right and denying it due to race is discrimination. The pro-GM side is saying that it is also discrimination to deny it to homosexuals, because there is no reasonable state/government interest in making restrictions on the gender of the person another is allowed to marry.
    This stance assumes that one is born gay as they are born black, white, or other. If that were indeed true, I would support it. Right now, I don't beleive there is evidence to support the "born gay" argument. As I said before, if I am proven wrong on this, I would gladly support it.
    Last edited by mac; 06-26-10 at 07:09 PM.

  5. #1855
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Wheather or nor a person is religious isn't likely to become a problem, for the religious, since marriage between man and woman doesn't viloate their fundamental principle.



    This stance assumes that one is born gay as they are born black, white, or other. If that were indeed true, I would support it. Right now, I don't beleive there is evidence to support the "born gay" argument. As I said before, if I am proven wrong on this, I would gladly support it.

    Sexual orientation is innate and can no more be changed than race.
    This should be self-evident to all thinking people.
    Can you change your sexual orientation at will?
    If not, then it seems self-evident that nobody else can, either.

  6. #1856
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    At the time of Loving vs Virginia the polls were running around 70% against interracial marriage.
    I think you can further refine that. The majority of society didn't see interracial marraiges between other than whites and blacks as much of an issue. For example, European and Asian, or Native American marriages were not greatly objected too. This speaks to the specific conflict between white and black Americans at that time.

  7. #1857
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    There are many commonly accepted aspects of modern society that would have been considered science fiction 50, 100, or 1000 years ago. You have no way of knowing, now, what will occur in the future or what won't.
    Obviously... but that is not the point. The point is that to be against something because you think that it might have a negative effect in a 1,000 years is ridiculous. Your argument is really that you are not against gay marriage, it is that you are against the future. Throwing away a particular picture might, in 50 years, not allow some loved one to find their way back to the family after they lost part of the memory too during a horrific Lego accident. The list of examples is endless....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #1858
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Sexual orientation is innate and can no more be changed than race.
    This should be self-evident to all thinking people.
    Can you change your sexual orientation at will?
    If not, then it seems self-evident that nobody else can, either.
    Your opinion. You are assuming that since that's how you see it, no one should have a right to view it differently.

  9. #1859
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Obviously... but that is not the point.
    No, actually, that is my point.

  10. #1860
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Your opinion. You are assuming that since that's how you see it, no one should have a right to view it differently.
    Why should you assume others have the capacity to change their sexual orientation at will, when you can not?
    What kind of sense does that make?

    Do you also assume they can change skin color at will?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •