View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 178 of 192 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1771
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Probably about the same or even less of a possibility than some opposite sex couples doing so for the same reasons. I don't really know why people think that this would be prevalent when same sex marriage is legal than it is with opposite sex marriage legal. I knew a few people in the military who would marry someone just to get the housing and/or the benefits. They usually only got caught if they were doing something stupid, like not living together or lying about where one of them was living. How do you prove someone is in love? How do you prove that a couple is not marrying for financial reasons? And, would it be much different than marrying because the couple had a kid together, but they really didn't like each other after that one night affair, so they decide to just have an open marriage?
    So, you know people in the military that twisted, broke, or disregarded the rules?

  2. #1772
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,040

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    So, you know people in the military that twisted, broke, or disregarded the rules?
    Yes, I knew people who would have done it, and one who did. And I knew a civilian chick who was actually looking for military men to do this with. But I didn't care why someone was choosing to get married. It really wasn't any of my business. It wasn't my place to say that they shouldn't get married and I certainly couldn't prove that they were doing it for the benefits.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #1773
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Han and Chewie are a family unit. Why shouldn't they receive the same benefits that Beru and Owen do?
    Han has the hots for Leah. I don't know who Beru and Owen are.

    If they want to be a family, that's fine with me.





    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Ok, well, those were the examples that were given. Use another example and I will be happy to demonstrate how it too should be equally applicable to Han and Chewie despite the platonic nature of their relationship.
    All the rights included in marriage. Han and Chewie should be able to get married if they so choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #1774
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,040

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Han has the hots for Leah. I don't know who Beru and Owen are.

    If they want to be a family, that's fine with me.


    All the rights included in marriage. Han and Chewie should be able to get married if they so choose.
    Beru and Owen were Luke's aunt and uncle. They were the ones burned while he was out searching for C3PO and R2D2.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #1775
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Beru and Owen were Luke's aunt and uncle. They were the ones burned while he was out searching for C3PO and R2D2.


    I should have known.

    May the Force be with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #1776
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,088

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    In the instance of homosexuality. There is plenty of proof of causation in other behaviors related tot he brain. It's my assumption that homosexuality is a choice based on the "evidence" that I have seen. As such, I feel that the decision over whether or not to accept it as a society is also a choice.



    My point is that if it were shown, conclusively, to indeed be beyond the choice of homosexuals, then I would support gay marriage regardless of my personal feelings on the matter.



    The majority of the "evidence" is derived from interviews with homosexuals. The homosexual, as a defense mechanism, is likely to believe, or make him/herself believe that they had no other choice. It has been proven, conclusively that there are people with absolutely no impulse control. That lack of control doesn't make what they do "right" or acceptable by society, depending on the uncontrollable impulse.



    That doesn't in an of itself make it acceptable. I personally believe that homosexual marriage will have no direct and definable impact on me or my family beyond what I feel is further damage to a nearly destroyed concept of marriage.



    I like that though there is no concrete evidence supporting the validity of homosexuality, you ask for concrete evidence that it will have negative affects on our society. Was it generally assumed that the invention of the light bulb and motor vehicle would relatively rapidly destroy our environment? Apples and oranges? Maybe, but, there are unforseen negative affects...sometimes dire.....to almost everyhting, eventually we are going to have to consider them.


    Personally, I do not feel that homosexuality or gay marriage will affect me personally in anyway, however I do believe it will have some pretty serious affects on our society. Maybe good effects, maybe bad. Time will tell. That is more my concern than anything, and is the only reason I oppose it.
    I have to assume that you are against cigarettes and alcohol, since your primary concern is negative social effects, and certainly when tens of thousands of people are dying due to these two items, that would make perfect sense, right? I mean, nobody is dying when two same sex individuals get "married", right? :roll

    I like how you say that, " Maybe good effects, maybe bad. Time will tell. That is more my concern than anything, and is the only reason I oppose it". Pretty smart, opposing something because it might have good effects, right?

    Again, you must be against cars, trains, airplanes... cars alone, how many people die each year in accidents. That is actually something worth being against, isn't it? Do you have a stat on how many people die the moment they say, "I do"? Because the stats showing how many people die when being hit by a car is staggering.

    He didn't ask for concrete evidence, he said that there is no concrete evidence... how about you read that again and answer his question?

    What is the nearly destroyed concept of marriage? Hell, you must be against women being able to work and not stay at home then, right? The womens movement did far more to destroy the concept of marriage than anything two gay people have done. With the success of the womens movement came more womens power, more choice... they exercised this and got out of the homes, and families have suffered, at least according to your idea of marriage. The divorce rate skyrocketed...

    See, your argument against same sex marriage is flimsy and from what I can tell, almost entirely fear driven and consequently, bigotted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #1777
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I have to assume that you are against cigarettes and alcohol, since your primary concern is negative social effects, and certainly when tens of thousands of people are dying due to these two items, that would make perfect sense, right? I mean, nobody is dying when two same sex individuals get "married", right? :roll
    I am against these, yeah.

    I like how you say that, " Maybe good effects, maybe bad. Time will tell. That is more my concern than anything, and is the only reason I oppose it". Pretty smart, opposing something because it might have good effects, right?
    No, I oppose it because I think the bad will outweigh the good.

    Again, you must be against cars, trains, airplanes... cars alone, how many people die each year in accidents. That is actually something worth being against, isn't it? Do you have a stat on how many people die the moment they say, "I do"? Because the stats showing how many people die when being hit by a car is staggering.
    I am an environmentalist, so in a way, yes I am opposed to these things.

    He didn't ask for concrete evidence, he said that there is no concrete evidence... how about you read that again and answer his question?
    Actually, he did.
    If you have heard about these negative effects, please point me to the article or report.
    What is the nearly destroyed concept of marriage? Hell, you must be against women being able to work and not stay at home then, right? The womens movement did far more to destroy the concept of marriage than anything two gay people have done. With the success of the womens movement came more womens power, more choice... they exercised this and got out of the homes, and families have suffered, at least according to your idea of marriage. The divorce rate skyrocketed...
    and greater environmental impact due to consumerism.

    See, your argument against same sex marriage is flimsy and from what I can tell, almost entirely fear driven and consequently, bigotted.
    Couldn't disagree more.
    Last edited by mac; 06-23-10 at 08:14 PM.

  8. #1778
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,088

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I am against these, yeah.
    OK... fair enough.

    No, I oppose it because I think the bad will outweigh the good.
    More clear... thanks. But what is the bad that would occur? I honestly can think of nothing reasonable... seriously. I am sure that you have stated your reason somewhere, please humor me and state the negative reason(s) again.

    I am an environmentalist, so in a way, yes I am opposed to these things.
    Again... fair enough. But should they be made illegal, that is the point. Cars kill people, same sex marriage does not. Nobody drops dead after saying "I do" but they do when hit by a car going 70mph. Will you address the analogies as to how they relate to your position?

    Actually, he did.
    Semantics... by me as well. I'll move on.

    and greater environmental impact due to consumerism.
    What does that have to do with families falling apart? My point is valid...

    Couldn't disagree more.
    I'll reserve judgement until I hear more then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #1779
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    More clear... thanks. But what is the bad that would occur? I honestly can think of nothing reasonable... seriously. I am sure that you have stated your reason somewhere, please humor me and state the negative reason(s) again.
    I have yeah, most of my reasoning is that there will be unforseen negative effects. This stance naturally drew a lot of fire because I've been ask to clarify "unforeseen effects". Well, If I could do that, then they wouldn't be unforeseen, would they? I draw parrallels to other significant changes in our history that have to some extent or other had dire effects on our society and even our planet. Invention of the light bulb and car for example. Huge environmental impacts that had anyone brought up at the time of these inventions, would have sounded like science fiction. Women's lib, as you re-iterated for me. Without getting into whether it was good or bad, it has had dire effects on everything from general health to family stability. But you can't identify these effects whithout being a sexist pig, now, right? I can "dream" up all sorts of negative effects, but like the destruction of our ozone layer, and rivers aflame, it would just be seen as science fiction.

    Again... fair enough. But should they be made illegal, that is the point. Cars kill people, same sex marriage does not. Nobody drops dead after saying "I do" but they do when hit by a car going 70mph. Will you address the analogies as to how they relate to your position?
    Your analogy in this case doesn't quite cut it, because how you use it is more accurately described as people kill people, not cars kill people. But, just to illustrate a possibility: In my view homosexuality is a learned behavior resulting from environmental influences. Let's say that after homosexuality becomes mainstream, and more prevalant we see a progressibvely greater number of homosexuals emerge due to that greater environmental influence. Eventually, our species could die out if the severity of decreasing birth rate is realized too late. The severity being as related to the lack of genetic diversity as it is to the diminshed number of new people being born to carry on the species. Science fiction, I know, I know, but since environmental influence is generaly recognized as a major factor in homosexuality, what would greater environmental influence cause?

    What does that have to do with families falling apart? My point is valid...
    I was just continuing your point about the negative impact of women's lib. I personnaly don't think recognizing the negative effects makes me a sexist.

    I'll reserve judgement until I hear more then...
    mkay.
    Last edited by mac; 06-24-10 at 12:00 AM. Reason: horrendous typos...

  10. #1780
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,040

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    mac, are you honestly suggesting that gay marriage might cause humankind to all become homosexual? Because if you really think this is possible, ROFL. I really can't stop laughing. I can't even fathom how that would be possible.

    Do you really think that homosexuality is somehow more desirable a sexuality than heterosexuality? Personally, even though I am all for homosexuals having the right to marry their partners, I myself would not "convert" to homosexuality, even if I thought it was possible, nor would I "teach" my children to be homosexual. I will teach my children that it is okay to be either homosexual or heterosexual or bisexual, but that it should be based on who they are attracted to, not who someone says they should be attracted to.

    Also, how does homosexuals having the right to marry lead to teaching people to be homosexual? Homosexuality is already legal, and homosexuals are raising children, both their own biological children and adopted children. I just can't see your reasoning here.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •