View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 173 of 192 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1721
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Gay Marriage should absolutely be legalized. This is a certain topic that really gets me heated up and I'm not even gay. The fact that people in America and all around the world think they a have a right to tell people who they can get married to is absolutely ridiculous. Evidence points to being Gay as something that is genetic, not LEARNED like many people say. A gay couple getting married effects your marriage and life and no negative way what so ever. Getting a marriage license is not some holy bond endorsed by god, it is just a union recognized by the U.S. government. I am not trying to alienate all Christians here but the number one reason i see brought up against gay marriage is a handful of verses in the bible. All of these verses were written by men. Jesus never even said single word about it, if it was so wrong one would think the son of God would have mentioned it.

    Let them get married. It won't have any negative effect on your life, the only difference is gay couples will have a marriage license.
    Last edited by BCR; 06-19-10 at 01:42 AM.

  2. #1722
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Gay Marriage should absolutely be legalized. This is a certain topic that really gets me heated up and I'm not even gay. The fact that people in America and all around the world think they a have a right to tell people who they can get married to is absolutely ridiculous. Evidence points to being Gay as something that is genetic, not LEARNED like many people say. A gay couple getting married effects your marriage and life and no negative way what so ever. Getting a marriage license is not some holy bond endorsed by god, it is just a union recognized by the U.S. government. I am not trying to alienate all Christians here but the number one reason i see brought up against gay marriage is a handful of verses in the bible. All of these verses were written by men. Jesus never even said single word about it, if it was so wrong one would think the son of God would have mentioned it.

    Let them get married. It won't have any negative effect on your life, the only difference is gay couples will have a marriage license.
    Though I agree with your position on GM, one thing of note. researchers are unsure of the causes of sexual orientation in general... heterosexuality, homosexuality, or bisexuality. Most attribute it to a combination of the following factors: biological, genetic, hormonal/chemical, environmental. There is no clear, conclusive evidence, though.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #1723
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    I see, it was my mistake then. I suppose it is better to say your sexuality is something that is more than likely out of your control.

  4. #1724
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Gay Marriage should absolutely be legalized. This is a certain topic that really gets me heated up and I'm not even gay. The fact that people in America and all around the world think they a have a right to tell people who they can get married to is absolutely ridiculous. Evidence points to being Gay as something that is genetic, not LEARNED like many people say. A gay couple getting married effects your marriage and life and no negative way what so ever. Getting a marriage license is not some holy bond endorsed by god, it is just a union recognized by the U.S. government. I am not trying to alienate all Christians here but the number one reason i see brought up against gay marriage is a handful of verses in the bible. All of these verses were written by men. Jesus never even said single word about it, if it was so wrong one would think the son of God would have mentioned it.

    Let them get married. It won't have any negative effect on your life, the only difference is gay couples will have a marriage license.
    So it's your assertion that the government has no right to regulate what people do? Society sets standards on quite a few issues, marriage is just one of them. Let me ask you a question: If you're walking through the park with your kids and you turn a corner to discover some people having sex on a park bench. Does that affect you? Does that affect your kids? Do you have any right in saying that it is wrong for people to have sex in public? Say you're sitting down to dinner and some folks at the table next to you are speaking loudly using words you find offensive. Does that affect you?

    There are a huge number of mental conditions and disorders that are considered by the mental health community to be directly caused by entirely external factors. To say that gay marriage WILL NOT have an affect on people is an assumption and only an assumption. You have no proof to back that up. There are all kind of things I could dream up based on the outcomes of other major changes in society that had results no one expected.

    The majority of the worlds population has been opposed to gay marriage throughout the history of the species. Marginalizing their beliefs and opinions on the issue makes you every bit as bigoted and ignorant as you claim they are.

    Evidence points to being Gay as something that is genetic, not LEARNED like many people say.
    This is simply false. The evidence in most studies says no such thing.
    Last edited by mac; 06-19-10 at 02:06 AM.

  5. #1725
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    So it's your assertion that the government has no right to regulate what people do? Society sets standards on quite a few issues, marriage is just one of them. Let me ask you a question: If you're walking through the park with your kids and you turn a corner to discover some people having sex on a park bench. Does that affect you? Does that affect your kids? Do you have any right in saying that it is wrong for people to have sex in public? Say you're sitting down to dinner and some folks at the table next to you are speaking loudly using words you find offensive. Does that affect you?

    There are a huge number of mental conditions and disorders that are considered by the mental health community to be directly caused by entirely external factors. The majority of the worlds population has been opposed to gay marriage throughout the history of the species. Marginalizing their beliefs and opinions on the issue makes you every bit as bigoted and ignorant as you claim they are.



    This is simply false. The evidence in most studies says no such thing.
    I may disagree with your position, overall, but what you say above is entirely logical.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #1726
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I may disagree with your position, overall, but what you say above is entirely logical.
    You, Sir, have rendered me speechless.

  7. #1727
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    The fact that people in America and all around the world think they a have a right to tell people who they can get married to is absolutely ridiculous.
    If marriage is a secular and civil institution as you argue, then it is absolutely within the State's prerogatives to regulate it.

  8. #1728
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    So it's your assertion that the government has no right to regulate what people do? Society sets standards on quite a few issues, marriage is just one of them. Let me ask you a question: If you're walking through the park with your kids and you turn a corner to discover some people having sex on a park bench. Does that affect you? Does that affect your kids? Do you have any right in saying that it is wrong for people to have sex in public? Say you're sitting down to dinner and some folks at the table next to you are speaking loudly using words you find offensive. Does that affect you?

    There are a huge number of mental conditions and disorders that are considered by the mental health community to be directly caused by entirely external factors. To say that gay marriage WILL NOT have an affect on people is an assumption and only an assumption. You have no proof to back that up. There are all kind of things I could dream up based on the outcomes of other major changes in society that had results no one expected.

    The majority of the worlds population has been opposed to gay marriage throughout the history of the species. Marginalizing their beliefs and opinions on the issue makes you every bit as bigoted and ignorant as you claim they are.



    This is simply false. The evidence in most studies says no such thing.
    First off if one is effected by a Gay couple it is more than likely because they are intolerant of their life style. Of course if I see a couple having sex on a bench it is going to effect me but to compare that to homosexuality is completely illogical. It can be said some people are effected by interacial marriage but that doesn't make it wrong, I think it goes the same for gay marriage. I would also like to here what your explanation is for Gay children and the cases where twins were seperated at birth to only be reunited 21 years later, also they are gay what a crazy coincidence. For you to say I am as bigoted as the opposers for marginalizing others beliefs is also ridicoulous. When one's beliefs have a negative effect on a whole other populations life, that's when there is a problem and gay marriage fits into this case.

    I corrected myself in my latest post "I suppose it is better to say your sexuality is something that is more than likely out of your control. " I would like you to find me a study that goes against what I said.

  9. #1729
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You, Sir, have rendered me speechless.
    I'm good at that.

    A good argument is a good argument. I have consistently agreed with your position on the government regulating things based on the beliefs and positions of Americans... even if I disagree with those beliefs and positions. Currently, US voters have voted down GM, consistently. I disagree with this, and I have many reasons why and why I believe voters have made the choice that they have made. However, I do not want to take the power to make these kinds of decisions away from the public.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 06-19-10 at 02:27 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #1730
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    First off if one is effected by a Gay couple it is more than likely because they are intolerant of their life style. Of course if I see a couple having sex on a bench it is going to effect me but to compare that to homosexuality is completely illogical. It can be said some people are effected by interacial marriage but that doesn't make it wrong, I think it goes the same for gay marriage. I would also like to here what your explanation is for Gay children and the cases where twins were seperated at birth to only be reunited 21 years later, also they are gay what a crazy coincidence. For you to say I am as bigoted as the opposers for marginalizing others beliefs is also ridicoulous. When one's beliefs have a negative effect on a whole other populations life, that's when there is a problem and gay marriage fits into this case.

    I corrected myself in my latest post "I suppose it is better to say your sexuality is something that is more than likely out of your control. " I would like you to find me a study that goes against what I said.
    Please, please, PLEASE show me the study where educated people separated twins at birth, kept them seperate for 21 years, reunited them and then discovered they were both gay. Please show me a study that says sexuality is "more than likely" to be out of your control.

    I wasn't comparing homosexuality to any thing or any behavior. What I was doing was showing that your assumption that, because YOU feel it to be a legitimate behavior, it will have no affect on society as a whole. The fact is, everything has an affect on society. I feel that if the government makes such a decision in direct opposition to the voters and in direct opposition to every mainstream religion on earth, that the repercussions would be severe. "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" is not the way to go on an issue with such an emotional and societal impact.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •