View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 170 of 192 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1691
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Then what are you saying?
    That there will be unforeseen ramifications to legalizing gay marriage.
    Last edited by mac; 06-17-10 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling

  2. #1692
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Gays have been around since the beginnings of humankind. They have been forming relationships since then. Considering that they have been here forever and will continue to be here for as humankind will be around I see no reason for them not to get married to their same sex partners and form more stable relationships.
    Yes they have been, for what percantage of that time has socially accepted gay marriage been recognized?

  3. #1693
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweEt Mauritius View Post
    It seems illogical today that interracial marriage was a religious issue, but the fact is that it WAS a religious issue to many of those that opposed it. Which is yet another reason why the interracial marriage analogy is so accurate. I posted it before but I'll post it again since it's been buried by an additional 40 pages in this discussion:



    That was the reasoning that a judge used in Loving v. Virginia to uphold anti-miscegenation laws. It seems silly now that people opposed interracial marriage for religious reasons, but that was the truth (in addition to opposing it because they were uncomfortable with/repulsed by the idea, I would imagine, which falls under the "it's not natural" argument), and that was only 40 years ago! And it's astonishing how almost identical reasons are being used to oppose same-sex marriage. I would bet that in 40 years, the "marriage is to unite the unique, special halves of humanity, man and woman" arguments against same-sex marriage, which are similarly based in religion and ignorance whether people want to admit it or not, will sound as silly as the "God put the races on separate continents for a reason" arguments against interracial marriage seem now.
    I don't agree with you that interracial marriage was a religious issue since there is no reference to it in any religious text that I am familiar with. If there were some religious leaders opposing it, it doesn't make it a religious matter. The majority of the opposition to interracial marriage and desegregation came from Democrats, by the way.

    A judge's personal interpretations of Gods will does not make it a religious issue for anyone but that Judge. Homosexuality is specifically addressed in many religious holy texts, and to me, that is the difference. Regardless, it's not only the religious who oppose homosexual marriage.

  4. #1694
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That there will be unforeseen ramifications to legalizing gay marriage.
    Everything works that way.

    And for that matter, they could be unforeseen positive ramifications...

    But yeah…


    The trick with any change is do your best to predict the positive and negative effects, then decide to go for it or not based on those factors.

    One major problem, as I see it, with the current government and system, is that issues are solved by bandaging the problem with a cheap and/or unsanitary dressing.

    It either falls off, malfunctions in some way, infects the wound, or some combination of the three.

    And then you fix THAT issue using the same method.

    Either that, or our governmental system never predicts the positive and negative effects correctly.

    Or both.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #1695
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That there will be unforeseen ramifications to legalizing gay marriage.
    So you've got nothing, and want to try and scare people with the fear of the unknown. You know what else has unforeseen ramifications? Leaving your house, interacting with other people. Just because it has unforeseen ramifications doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

  6. #1696
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Might as well look on the bright side: there will be unforeseen benefits as well.
    The future is unknowable.

  7. #1697
    User sweEt Mauritius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    07-15-12 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    79

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I don't agree with you that interracial marriage was a religious issue since there is no reference to it in any religious text that I am familiar with. If there were some religious leaders opposing it, it doesn't make it a religious matter. The majority of the opposition to interracial marriage and desegregation came from Democrats, by the way.

    A judge's personal interpretations of Gods will does not make it a religious issue for anyone but that Judge. Homosexuality is specifically addressed in many religious holy texts, and to me, that is the difference. Regardless, it's not only the religious who oppose homosexual marriage.
    Well, after a brief Google search, here are just a sampling of the Biblical passages that were used to condemn interracial marriage:

    Leviticus 20:24 says:
    But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I [am] the LORD your God, which have separated you from [other] people.
    Exodus 33:16:
    For how shall it be known that I have found favor in your sight, I and your people? Is it not in your going with us, so that we are distinct, I and your people, from every other people on the face of the earth?"
    Joshua 23:12-13:
    For if you ever go back and cling to the rest of these nations, these which remain among you, and intermarry with them, so that you associate with them and they with you, know with certainty that the LORD your God will not continue to drive these nations out from before you; but they will be a snare and a trap to you, and a whip on your sides and thorns in your eyes, until you perish from off this good land which the LORD your God has given you.
    Deuteronomy 7:3:
    neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son.
    2 Corinthians 6:14:
    Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
    Acts 17:24-26:
    God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation
    I think it's fair to say that these passages are at least as clearly anti-interracial marriage as the usual suspect passages are anti-gay marriage (or, more generally, anti-homosexuality). In fact, just looking up those Biblical passages somehow made the interracial marriage analogy even more accurate than I had already thought it was. The thing that bothers me the most is that people don't even seem to care to back up their statements. It only took me about 10 minutes of research to find evidence against your assertion that there was no reference to interracial marriage in religious texts, and yet you use that assertion as a foundation of your argument.

    It seems unbelievable now that these passages could have been used to condemn interracial marriage as sinful and contradictory to God's will, but the fact is that people genuinely believed that that was the truth, and then they somehow convinced themselves it wasn't discriminatory because it was God's word. It's not like I'm not making it up. People really believed that the races shouldn't mix, and those are some of the Biblical passages that they construed to support their view, a view which, in my opinion, was almost certainly rooted in some deeper level of discomfort with the idea and with breaking the status quo.

    I mean seriously, how much more valid can this analogy get? It's so similar I can hardly believe anyone would try to deny it at this point. If people want to simply ignore the concept of context and accept these outdated interpretations about what marriage is and isn't, then that's fine, they can live in their fantasy world where Biblical interpretations have never evolved at any point in history. But don't dare try paint over history with absurd illusions that this is somehow completely different from the shamefully late cultural, moral and legal awakening that gave interracial couples the right to marry.
    Last edited by sweEt Mauritius; 06-18-10 at 03:22 AM.

  8. #1698
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Though I haven't read all your studies completely I can tell you that whether or not homosexuals can be good parents or not was never in question. It may be a concern for others who oppose gay marriage, not for me. Second, I am looking at it logicaly...the potential negative impacts concern me. One of the largest concerns are the ones that homosexuals have no control over and that's the reaction of those that will do violence. The level of which can not be estimated. Though you and many equate it interracial marraige, interracial marriage wasn't a religious issue. Homosexual marriage directly opposes fundamental religious belief (pretty much all of them). The potential reaction scares me, and I'm not sure it's something our society can handle.
    I do not dispute the point that there could be negative ramifications. IMO, the positives far outweigh the potential negatives.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #1699
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweEt Mauritius View Post
    Well, after a brief Google search, here are just a sampling of the Biblical passages that were used to condemn interracial marriage:

    Leviticus 20:24 says:


    Exodus 33:16:


    Joshua 23:12-13:


    Deuteronomy 7:3:


    2 Corinthians 6:14:


    Acts 17:24-26:


    I think it's fair to say that these passages are at least as clearly anti-interracial marriage as the usual suspect passages are anti-gay marriage (or, more generally, anti-homosexuality). In fact, just looking up those Biblical passages somehow made the interracial marriage analogy even more accurate than I had already thought it was. The thing that bothers me the most is that people don't even seem to care to back up their statements. It only took me about 10 minutes of research to find evidence against your assertion that there was no reference to interracial marriage in religious texts, and yet you use that assertion as a foundation of your argument.

    It seems unbelievable now that these passages could have been used to condemn interracial marriage as sinful and contradictory to God's will, but the fact is that people genuinely believed that that was the truth, and then they somehow convinced themselves it wasn't discriminatory because it was God's word. It's not like I'm not making it up. People really believed that the races shouldn't mix, and those are some of the Biblical passages that they construed to support their view, a view which, in my opinion, was almost certainly rooted in some deeper level of discomfort with the idea and with breaking the status quo.

    I mean seriously, how much more valid can this analogy get? It's so similar I can hardly believe anyone would try to deny it at this point. If people want to simply ignore the concept of context and accept these outdated interpretations about what marriage is and isn't, then that's fine, they can live in their fantasy world where Biblical interpretations have never evolved at any point in history. But don't dare try paint over history with absurd illusions that this is somehow completely different from the shamefully late cultural, moral and legal awakening that gave interracial couples the right to marry.
    I'm not here to defend Christians, or Muslims, or Jews on their positions on any issue. However, further reading around those passages will show you that they generally speak of people of faith consorting with people with no faith...no people of different races. I'm sure they could be twisted to mean whatever the speaker wished.

    Further, because a preacher, priest, imam, or rabbi believes something regarding a secular issue doesn't mean the entirety of their particular religion believes the same.

    What I've seen, universally, is that all Christians believe homosexuality is a sin since it IS specifically addressed in the bible. The few Muslims I know believe the same.

    I'm not here to defend religion, I'm just saying there is a fundamental difference to the opposiotions of the two separate issues.

  10. #1700
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I do not dispute the point that there could be negative ramifications. IMO, the positives far outweigh the potential negatives.
    This is what it basically boils down to. Opinion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •