View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 168 of 192 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1671
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    How is gay marriage a "matter of sexuality" but hetero marriage isn't?
    How is that question related to that quote?

    Maybe I don't understand the question as you intended it, but in the traditional sense, hetero marriage is related to sexuality but it's also related to religious beliefs and accepted societal norms.

  2. #1672
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    How is that question related to that quote?

    Maybe I don't understand the question as you intended it, but in the traditional sense, hetero marriage is related to sexuality but it's also related to religious beliefs and accepted societal norms.
    You said:

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Second, matters of sexuality shouldn't be taught at all in school. It's simply not their business.
    We were talking about gay marriage. For you to be consistent, you would have to apply this to hetero marriage.

    The religious aspect has nothing to do with a civics class.

    Homosexuality has been accepted as a societal norm. The APA has decided that it is a normal variant of human sexuality. By your logic, it's not illegal to be gay therefore it is accepted.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #1673
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    You said:



    We were talking about gay marriage. For you to be consistent, you would have to apply this to hetero marriage.

    The religious aspect has nothing to do with a civics class.

    Homosexuality has been accepted as a societal norm. The APA has decided that it is a normal variant of human sexuality. By your logic, it's not illegal to be gay therefore it is accepted.
    I do apply it to hetero marriage. The APA accepting homosexuality as a normal variant of human sexuality isn't quite the same thing as society accepting it. If it had, than homosexual marriage wouldn't have been voted down as often and in so many places as it has.

  4. #1674
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I do apply it to hetero marriage. The APA accepting homosexuality as a normal variant of human sexuality isn't quite the same thing as society accepting it. If it had, than homosexual marriage wouldn't have been voted down as often and in so many places as it has.
    In Texas when gay marriage was on the ballot only 13% of the eligible voters showed up. I would propose that the majority really just don't care.
    Last edited by winston53660; 06-17-10 at 10:39 AM.

  5. #1675
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I do apply it to hetero marriage.
    Then you do think that marriage shouldn't be discussed in school.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The APA accepting homosexuality as a normal variant of human sexuality isn't quite the same thing as society accepting it. If it had, than homosexual marriage wouldn't have been voted down as often and in so many places as it has.
    And this is where I disagree and agree with CC. The government has no interest in excluding homosexuals from being able to marry other homosexuals. The government is discriminating against homosexuals because of societal fears. This happened with interracial marriage. To a degree early on, people were correct about concerns of biracial kids being shunned by both sides. Society has gotten past that and is for the better now. I'd be interested to see how people would vote if a law would need to be past to legalize interfaith marriages.

    Civil rights should not be put to a vote. "Fear of the unknown" based bigotry in a society is the reason why.

    Other countries have legalized it. They are fine. Gays can raise families. There is no down side to legalizing it. Unsubstantiated fears don't count. There are existing models that exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #1676
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    In Texas when gay marriage was on the ballot only 13% of the eligible voters showed up. I would propose that the majority really just don't care.
    what was the outcome?

  7. #1677
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Then you do think that marriage shouldn't be discussed in school.



    And this is where I disagree and agree with CC. The government has no interest in excluding homosexuals from being able to marry other homosexuals. The government is discriminating against homosexuals because of societal fears. This happened with interracial marriage. To a degree early on, people were correct about concerns of biracial kids being shunned by both sides. Society has gotten past that and is for the better now. I'd be interested to see how people would vote if a law would need to be past to legalize interfaith marriages.

    Civil rights should not be put to a vote. "Fear of the unknown" based bigotry in a society is the reason why.

    Other countries have legalized it. They are fine. Gays can raise families. There is no down side to legalizing it. Unsubstantiated fears don't count. There are existing models that exist.
    but then, not everyone in America agrees that it is a civil rights issue.

  8. #1678
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    but then, not everyone in America agrees that it is a civil rights issue.
    The same was true about interracial marriage. Not everyone in America saw it as a civil rights issue. The popular thought of the time was it was fair because everyone had to marry inside their own race, including whites. And the laws that actually arrested people for living together as a mixed couple were defended because the white person was arrested too. The biggest difference between the homosexual marriage fight and the interracial marriage fight is that for interracial marriage, Loving v. Virginia took care of both the laws against interracial couples being together and changed the marriage laws at the same time, but the laws against homosexuals living together were already deemed wrong by Lawrence v. Texas, so it makes the fight for homosexual marriage harder.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #1679
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    How? Environmental impact. Kids raising themselves due to parental absence. Nutritional impact due to parents not having time to cook real food. I didn't say women were inferior to men, I said there were negative impacts resulting from womens lib.
    You seem to be doing the same thing with this issue that you do with sexual orientation. Looking at ONE side of the issue only, when, to examine it logically, you must look at BOTH. Any social change will have both negative and positive outcomes. You are condemning something by ONLY looking at the negatives without considering the positives. Woman's lib has had plenty of positive outcomes. Same with the civil rights movement of the '50's and 60's. And GM would do the same. What one must look at is a cost-benefit analysis, both from a quantitative, but more importantly, from a qualitative standpoint. The information that I posted demonstrates the benefits to society and, both qualitatively and quantitatively, it overshadows the negatives.

    Other than an infdividual's personal morality or dislike of homosexuality/GM, what do you think would be negative consequences of legalizing GM?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #1680
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-17-10 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    As a Christian I am against gay marriage. Marriage has always been a religious way to unite a couple for life and so that they can have children. The one thing that Christians get a bad name for is hating gay people. Those are the ones who misunderstand the bible and what your job is as a Christian. We are supposed to love everybody no matter what. A sin is a sin. There are pastors out there who are divorced and remarried and that is a sin. Just the same as being gay. But people don't see it the same.

    So no I do not want gay marriage to be legal but I will not hate someone for it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •