View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 160 of 192 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1591
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Once homosexuality becomes accepted by the state and federal governments then it will be taught in civics classes to children of parents who will take great offense to having their children taught morality by public school teachers which is in direct opposition to their own personal beliefs. These teachers will then utilize (as they already do in some places) the separation of church and state to defend their rights to do so. This is but one of the many problems I see arising. It's a little more complicated than a couple of guys holding hands.
    First, what exactly are you imagining that they will be teaching children in school about homosexuality? That it is real? That it is okay? It is already okay to be homosexual according to US law.

    And the same argument could be used about many other things that children may be taught in school or come into contact with in school. In fact, there are a lot of children's parents who still do not like their children being taught about evolution.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #1592
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Ah, I see. It's okay for gov't to restrict access to marriage as long as it does so by criteria that you approve of. Got it.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #1593
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Ah, I see. It's okay for gov't to restrict access to marriage as long as it does so by criteria that you approve of. Got it.
    No. The criteria should be fair. It shouldn't be arbitrarily decided by what might be right or wrong. A good, fair criteria is harm to people or property. Financial considerations are fair, especially when we are talking about the government. However, there are several problems in themselves with just allowing multiple marriages without considering the consequences. Another to consider would be, if the government said today, that okay, anyone can marry as many people as they want. Then a girl goes out and marries 4 guys, but doesn't tell her husbands about each other. She gets pregnant and dies during childbirth. Who's the father? Who has legal right to inherit her property? Who gets the baby? What about the other guys who all thought they were about to be a daddy, and with good reason, since their wife was pregnant?

    In fact, I have said multiple times that I am not against polygamy, but would rather it be looked into before automatically made legal. From a logical standpoint, marriage becomes more complicated, especially when talking about civil marriage, the more people that the contract involves.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #1594
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,058

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That would only be true if homosexuals had no more choice over their sexual preference than Chinese do over their ancestry.
    Correct. And since homosexuality cannot be determined either way, we have to go with what homosexuals say about the subject. I have known my gays and every single one said that they just always felt attracted to men. Not one said it was a choice. Not one... So, unless you can prove beyond a doubt that they are making a choice, you have no logical or rational argument what so ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #1595
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,751

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Was that video a troll attempt?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #1596
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Was that video a troll attempt?
    It was on topic and satirical in nature. It made a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #1597
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,751

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    It was on topic and satirical in nature. It made a point.
    Didn't watch it. Will now.

    Edit:

    I saw someone who had posted their first post, and it worried me.

    /shrug
    Last edited by The Mark; 06-16-10 at 11:46 PM.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #1598
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,058

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Originally Posted by mac
    Once homosexuality becomes accepted by the state and federal governments then it will be taught in civics classes to children of parents who will take great offense to having their children taught morality by public school teachers which is in direct opposition to their own personal beliefs. These teachers will then utilize (as they already do in some places) the separation of church and state to defend their rights to do so. This is but one of the many problems I see arising. It's a little more complicated than a couple of guys holding hands.
    WHAT?! If it is taught at all, it would be taught as a Civil Rights Issue much the way that the feminist movements of the 20's and 60's were, or the Black Civil Rights Movements of the 50' and 60's were. We don't teach kids that it is OK to be black, just that all people deserve equal rights, and that this was not done in the past until it was challenged and then changed. We don't morality about any issue, we teach the facts about history to students. I am sensing that you are a little extreme in your ideas though, so that might be part of the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #1599
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    WHAT?! If it is taught at all, it would be taught as a Civil Rights Issue much the way that the feminist movements of the 20's and 60's were, or the Black Civil Rights Movements of the 50' and 60's were. We don't teach kids that it is OK to be black, just that all people deserve equal rights, and that this was not done in the past until it was challenged and then changed. We don't morality about any issue, we teach the facts about history to students. I am sensing that you are a little extreme in your ideas though, so that might be part of the issue.
    That isn't true. There is allready sensitivity training being introduced in the California and Massachussets school systems. These are issues that tackle morality. I am no more extreme in my views than you are in yours. You have certainly not been open to ideas throughout this discussion, have you?

  10. #1600
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Correct. And since homosexuality cannot be determined either way, we have to go with what homosexuals say about the subject. I have known my gays and every single one said that they just always felt attracted to men. Not one said it was a choice. Not one... So, unless you can prove beyond a doubt that they are making a choice, you have no logical or rational argument what so ever.
    That argument has no more basis than the pedophile or ax murder who says they didn't have a choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •