View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 151 of 192 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1501
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Over the last couple pages of this "debate" thread I have been discussing with a few you why I oppose homosexual marriage. The initial reaction to my posts was to cite "scientific and academic" studies that prove homosexuality is not a choice and therefore denying them the same rights as heterosexuals is immoral, illegal, or whatever negative word you'd like to use to describe it. When I challenged the assumptions made on hearsay related to "scientific studies" I was called ignorant, uninformed and was told I have an agenda. I say hearsay, because it's obvious that the posters read little more than the title of these studies.

    There is no scientific data that legitimizes homosexual behavior. So, using scientific data to both push your agenda and to discredit dissenters is moot. Simply put, many want homosexuality to be legalized for reasons no more valid than those of the many that want it to remain where it is. What it boils down to is two sides disagreeing on an issue and both sides concocting proof to feel confident about their respective stances.

    I am no more "uninformed" about the issue for opposing it, than you all are for twisting these studies to fit your position.

  2. #1502
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Over the last couple pages of this "debate" thread I have been discussing with a few you why I oppose homosexual marriage. The initial reaction to my posts was to cite "scientific and academic" studies that prove homosexuality is not a choice and therefore denying them the same rights as heterosexuals is immoral, illegal, or whatever negative word you'd like to use to describe it. When I challenged the assumptions made on hearsay related to "scientific studies" I was called ignorant, uninformed and was told I have an agenda. I say hearsay, because it's obvious that the posters read little more than the title of these studies.

    There is no scientific data that legitimizes homosexual behavior. So, using scientific data to both push your agenda and to discredit dissenters is moot. Simply put, many want homosexuality to be legalized for reasons no more valid than those of the many that want it to remain where it is. What it boils down to is two sides disagreeing on an issue and both sides concocting proof to feel confident about their respective stances.

    I am no more "uninformed" about the issue for opposing it, than you all are for twisting these studies to fit your position.
    You mean... Aside from the fact that major scientific research institutions that have long and brilliant histories of credibility say so, right?

    Sorry, Mac. If you want me to believe that Harvard, Georgetown, University of Chicago, UCLA, Yale, and many other prestigious institutions are all wrong on the matter, you're going to have to show some reason we should discount their stances.
    Last edited by Alastor; 06-16-10 at 08:26 AM.

  3. #1503
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    You mean... Aside from the fact that major scientific research institutions that have long and brilliant histories of credibility say so, right?

    Sorry, Mac. If you want me to believe that Harvard, Georgetown, University of Chicago, UCLA, Yale, and many other prestigious institutions are all wrong on the matter, you're going to have to show some reason we should discount their stances.
    What do you think their stances are, exactly?

  4. #1504
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Over the last couple pages of this "debate" thread I have been discussing with a few you why I oppose homosexual marriage. The initial reaction to my posts was to cite "scientific and academic" studies that prove homosexuality is not a choice and therefore denying them the same rights as heterosexuals is immoral, illegal, or whatever negative word you'd like to use to describe it. When I challenged the assumptions made on hearsay related to "scientific studies" I was called ignorant, uninformed and was told I have an agenda. I say hearsay, because it's obvious that the posters read little more than the title of these studies.

    There is no scientific data that legitimizes homosexual behavior. So, using scientific data to both push your agenda and to discredit dissenters is moot. Simply put, many want homosexuality to be legalized for reasons no more valid than those of the many that want it to remain where it is. What it boils down to is two sides disagreeing on an issue and both sides concocting proof to feel confident about their respective stances.

    I am no more "uninformed" about the issue for opposing it, than you all are for twisting these studies to fit your position.
    You continue to ignore the point that I have been making. There is no study that demonstrates that ANY sexual orientation can be conclusively shown to be physiological of genetic. You're failure to take that into account denotes the weakness in your argument. If you claim that there is no reason to legitimize gay marriage because of the lack of physiological or genetic proof, then there is no way to legitimatize STRAIGHT marriage for the same reason, since no conclusive link exists for the straight sexual orientation, either, when considering genetics or physiology. This is why your position is not valid based on the factors that you are using to prove it.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 06-16-10 at 08:33 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #1505
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You continue to ignore the point that I have been making. There is no study that demonstrates that ANY sexual orientation can be conclusively shown to be physiological of genetic. You're failure to take that into account denotes the weakness in your argument. If you claim that there is no reason to legitimize gay marriage because of the lack of physiological or genetic proof, then there is no way to legitimatize STRAIGHT marriage for the same reason, since no conclusive link exists for the straight sexual orientation, either, when considering genetics or physiology. This is why your position is not valid based on the factors that you are using to prove it.
    Read Darwin....natural selection....longstanding, cross cultural historical precedence...gimme a break, bro.
    Last edited by mac; 06-16-10 at 08:36 AM.

  6. #1506
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Mac, when did you choose your sexual orientation?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #1507
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    I started having my suspicions in high school, but wasn't until college that I made my decision.

  8. #1508
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Mac, when did you choose your sexual orientation?
    I started having my suspicions in high school, but wasn't until college that I made my decision.

  9. #1509
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Read Darwin....natural selection....longstanding, cross cultural historical precedence...gimme a break, bro.
    And yet, you still haven't shown where studies have shown there is a conclusive physiological or genetic cause for heterosexuality. You've read the studies... I'm sure you can fine ONE.

    Oh, and natural selection? Since homosexuality has existed as long as there has been recorded history, natural selection applies to it, too.

    Long-standing, cross-cultural historical precedence? Appeal to tradition logical fallacy. Oh, but wait... there is a long-standing cross-cultural historical precedence for homosexuality, too. Doesn't help my position, much, but it does help in torpedoing, yours.

    I await with anticipation, your links to studies that prove the physiological or genetic basis for heterosexuality.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #1510
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    And yet, you still haven't shown where studies have shown there is a conclusive physiological or genetic cause for heterosexuality. You've read the studies... I'm sure you can fine ONE.

    Oh, and natural selection? Since homosexuality has existed as long as there has been recorded history, natural selection applies to it, too.

    Long-standing, cross-cultural historical precedence? Appeal to tradition logical fallacy. Oh, but wait... there is a long-standing cross-cultural historical precedence for homosexuality, too. Doesn't help my position, much, but it does help in torpedoing, yours.

    I await with anticipation, your links to studies that prove the physiological or genetic basis for heterosexuality.
    Nice try. The human (or mammal, even) anatomy alone is proof. I'm sure you know there has been no study attempting to validate heterosexuality as even the most liberal know it's the natural order of our species and of every other mammal on earth. There is simply no need to conduct such a study. I agree that homosexuality has existed as long as recorded history, but I also know that homosexual marriage has been illegal for just as long. The first historical reference to banning it dates back to the roman empire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •