View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 142 of 192 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1411
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    The OP seems to assume that allowing gay marriage is the default, which I don't understand.
    nope you assume I assume that

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    We don't allow it now. We've never allowed it in the past.
    so? doesnt make it right

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Marriage has, until very recently, been defined as an entirely heterosexual institution.
    false historically, language wise and meaningless overall to the debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Logically, the burden of proof should fall on those who are lobbying to allow gay marriage, because they are the people arguing for a change.
    this has easily been done, just read the OP and the thread and focus on discrimination, equal and civil rights

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    And as much as I am in favor of gay marriage, I see very few people actually making arguments for why it should be allowed
    then reread cause its here

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    how it would benefit society if it were allowed, how allowing gay marriage would bolster and promote the institution of marriage. Certainly, such arguments would be more compelling than empty appeals to "equal rights" and accusations of bigotry.
    why would it be more compelling?
    it be more compelling to argue something meaningless or subjective rather than easily proved denied equal rights, civil rights and discrimination.

    I just wouldn't see value in that since i know tons of marriages NOW that hold no value and do not bolster and promote the institution of marriage nor does the law require them too
    Last edited by AGENT J; 06-15-10 at 03:00 AM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #1412
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But it's the same concept, using religion as a base for laws.
    How is religion different from any other source of moral beliefs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Also like I've said, I don't understand how allowing gay marriage is a sin? It's not like you will be in one.
    If I understand Blackdog's position correctly, it isn't allowing gay marriage that is a sin-- it is the act of changing the law to allow it that is a sin. He is not allowed to support or promote homosexuality, which arguing in favor of legalizing gay marriage would definitely constitute.

  3. #1413
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,546

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But it's the same concept, using religion as a base for laws. You may have your religious values, and thats fine. But we live in a country were all religions are allowed to live. So using someone's religious views as a basis for laws, and what is allowed or disallowed isn't really the best thing for this country. Also like I've said, I don't understand how allowing gay marriage is a sin? It's not like you will be in one.
    No it's not. I am not using my religion for the bases of making laws. I am using my morals, which in this case come from my religion.

    So no, wrong.

    Are you a Christian? Do you know anything about the laws laid down in the Bible? If not I really don't expect you to know much about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #1414
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    The law is that marriage is between a man and a woman. It is your view that the law should be changed. It is your view that the definition of marriage, as it currently stands, is discriminatory. It is your view that homosexual marriage should be allowed. It is your argument that these views should be reflected in the law against the will and the vehement opposition of the majority of Americans. You are attempting to impose your views on the law, on our law which applies to and belongs to all of us.
    more fantasy all i want is to end discrimination which you are right it is all our law, you choose to IGNORE it or stand for it I choose to fight for it and stand up for the americans being discriminated against


    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    You are assuming the liberal argument that everyone should be allowed to do whatever they want, should be free to choose whatever they want. Not everyone shares that belief and not everyone wants that belief to be reflected in the law.
    wrong again and more fantasy, who said everyone should be allowed to do whatever they want? not me nice try I just don't want people discriminated against marriage wise, what you wrote above is nothing more than empty
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #1415
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    nope you assume I assume that
    Cute. But the wording of the OP implies that unless there is a good reason to prohibit it, it should be allowed. Since it is currently not allowed, the shoe belongs properly on the other foot-- unless there is a good reason to allow it, it should remain prohibited.

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    We don't allow it now. We've never allowed it in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    so? doesnt make it right
    No, but it makes it the law. You are claiming that your moral beliefs have nothing to do with this argument, and that it is based entirely in the law. I have shown that this is not the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    this has easily been done, just read the OP and the thread and focus on discrimination, equal and civil rights
    Marriage isn't a right and shouldn't be a right. Marriage is a social institution that serves a purpose-- multiple purposes, actually-- and in order to change the laws concerning it we must demonstrate that the changes serve those purposes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    why would it be more compelling?
    it be more compelling to argue something meaningless or subjective rather than easily proved denied equal rights, civil rights and discrimination.
    The fact that you believe societal benefit and social order are meaningless is telling. You are incapable of seeing any side of this argument but your own.

  6. #1416
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No it's not. I am not using my religion for the bases of making laws. I am using my morals, which in this case come from my religion.

    So no, wrong.

    Are you a Christian? Do you know anything about the laws laid down in the Bible? If not I really don't expect you to know much about it.
    As for the bolded part, if you use your morals as a basis for law, and your morals come from your religion then yes you are using your religion as the basis for laws. You can't spin your way out of that one.

    And yes I'm a Christian. Self admittedly I am a very liberal Christian. I do not believe homosexuality is a sin, there is not enough evidence to compel me to believe so. I think it's just another variation in God's beautiful creation.
    Also, even if I did believe homosexuality was a sin, I would still be in support for gay marriage, because my politics, will always, and forever be secular. When religion gets involved in politics, nasty things happen.

  7. #1417
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Also, even if I did believe homosexuality was a sin, I would still be in support for gay marriage, because my politics, will always, and forever be secular. When religion gets involved in politics, nasty things happen.
    How do you reconcile your political beliefs with your morals? And where do your morals come from, if they are not derived from your religion?

  8. #1418
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,546

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    As for the bolded part, if you use your morals as a basis for law, and your morals come from your religion then yes you are using your religion as the basis for laws. You can't spin your way out of that one.
    Oh I see. So if peoples morals are based in nothing it's OK. If peoples morals are based on religion, they should not be allowed to vote etc. Pot, meet kettle.

    Hows that for spin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    And yes I'm a Christian. Self admittedly I am a very liberal Christian. I do not believe homosexuality is a sin, there is not enough evidence to compel me to believe so.
    I agree, it's not like a man shall not lie with a man as he does a woman is any kind of biblical evidence. Along with all the other verses we posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I think it's just another variation in God's beautiful creation.
    And yet this beautiful creation was called an abomination to the lord.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Also, even if I did believe homosexuality was a sin, I would still be in support for gay marriage, because my politics, will always, and forever be secular. When religion gets involved in politics, nasty things happen.
    Many people put other things before God. I will not condemn you for it. I will say that is not the correct path according to scripture though.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 06-15-10 at 03:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #1419
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No, you said in the post below you see, but you don't.

    You say I want to discriminate? Has gay marriage ever been legal in this country? No. Has marriage until recently ever been defined as between more than one man and one women in this country? No. Can gays marry anyone of the opposite sex they wish? Yes. Are they restricted by polygamy laws etc like everyone else? Yes. Have their always been restrictions on marriage? Yes.

    No discromination.
    dude you are smarter than this, watch how easy i debunke your argument you are not even trying.
    Were women allowed to vote BEFORE they were allowed? nope
    Were slaves allowed to be free in this country before they were allowed? nope
    we minorities treated equal before they were? nope

    guess they were never discriminated against either LMAO
    come on? you knew better than that
    its totally discrimination

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You say I am being hypocritical. Am I bound by all the same laws gay people are? Yes.
    Nope. No hypocrite here. but you want GODS laws to be above everything and not others to have that same freedom, that = hypocrite

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Did the founding fathers own slaves? Yes. Did the founding fathers allow men or wemon to marry the same sex? No. Does the Constitution mention anything about marriage? No. Do I act in any way to hinder law abiding citizens or speak out against the US and it's allies? No.

    Nope not anti American.
    what you said doesnt even make any sense or have a bearing on the debate, you can easily be argued anti american because the constitution, laws, freedoms and citizens of america dont matter to you, or matter less that you bible eventhough america is what allows you to use that bible






    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    God must come first.
    I get this is your stance and I told you i respect it since you finally manned up and admitted it, all i needed was for you to admit that your religion and god are more important than anything including america, americans, laws, and constitution

    told you ill wont debunk you any more cause you admitted your truth
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #1420
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,546

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    wrong again and more fantasy, who said everyone should be allowed to do whatever they want? not me nice try I just don't want people discriminated against marriage wise, what you wrote above is nothing more than empty
    Ummmm you did?

    I want EVERYBODY to get their way and EVERYBODY to get to practice their OWN views but some how you figure that "i" dont care? LMAO hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •