View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 13 of 192 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #121
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're assuming no one is misusing "marriage". Please account for your assumption.

    Also, how many of those couples have had children who are now grown or deceased? How many of those couples have had children but aborted them? How many of those couples want to have children someday but do not have children presently?

    Most importantly, what % of gay couples have children now?
    I have no idea what percentage of gay couples have children now. I only know that up 8 to 10 million children could benefit from it, in addition to thousands of kids in foster care.

    If you have better statistics to indicate how many married people over the course of their lives have kids, then I would love to see them. What is clear is that currently less than half the people who are married, have kids.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're assuming no one is misusing "marriage". Please account for your assumption.

    Also, how many of those couples have had children who are now grown or deceased? How many of those couples have had children but aborted them? How many of those couples want to have children someday but do not have children presently?

    Most importantly, what % of gay couples have children now?
    Its easy enough to have marriage be about couples with children and still be fair to gay people: Don't consider a marriage a legal marriage unless the couple has children. Once all the children are of the age of majority, dissolve the marriage. (They could still be together in a relationship, they just wouldn't be married anymore).

    Hmmm, I wonder why we don't do this... OHHHHHH, its because marriage isn't about children. It is obviously about society's interest in providing a stable framework for long term relationships that become financially and socially entwined.

  3. #123
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Its easy enough to have marriage be about couples with children and still be fair to gay people: Don't consider a marriage a legal marriage unless the couple has children. Once all the children are of the age of majority, dissolve the marriage. (They could still be together in a relationship, they just wouldn't be married anymore).

    Hmmm, I wonder why we don't do this... OHHHHHH, its because marriage isn't about children. It is obviously about society's interest in providing a stable framework for long term relationships that become financially and socially entwined.
    So perhaps my recent thought of two types of unions might be an idea.

    Although...

    I suppose that is already the case, what with increased tax breaks the more children you have...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #124
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    I give up. I'm just going to let the heteros destroy marriage. They have been doing a good job of destroying their institution, so it only makes sense to let them finish it off. That way they can't blame the gays for it.


    Edit: Oh, who am I kidding. They will still blame the gays for it.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I have no idea what percentage of gay couples have children now.
    Those numbers are critical to your argument, because they certainly would convince social conservatives like myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I only know that up 8 to 10 million children could benefit from it, in addition to thousands of kids in foster care.
    That's true but worthless since the same can be said for incest; that argument doesn't say anything specific of gay couples, but of just any couple one can imagine.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If you have better statistics to indicate how many married people over the course of their lives have kids, then I would love to see them. What is clear is that currently less than half the people who are married, have kids.
    That statistic only shows how corrupt out culture is. The divorce rate substantiates this as well.

    "56% will not raise children like like heteros" is not a convincing argument to those of us who oppose heteros marrying without intent of raising children.

    Heteros are not a pure sample for gays to then point to and claim that they are just like.

    I put my support behind gay marriage which is exactly like all other marriages I support. This means that I automatically oppose gays marrying when they will form a step-parent family because I oppose heteros doing the same thing. I oppose gays marrying "for the legal benefits" because I already oppose heteros doing the same thing.

    All of these distinctions are lost when you look at the issue of marriage through the eyes of identity politics. It's not about social groups, it's about the function an institution is supposed to perform. Any couple capable of performing that function should have access, but you can't identify such a couple merely by what social group they belong to.

    So should gays have the right to marry? Hell no they should not. Any couple in loving, stable, committed relationship should have the right to marry be they opposite sex, same sex, mixed race, etc.

    The right should not be accessible by just any gay couple just like it shouldn't be accessible by just any hetero couple now.

    "Gay rights"...pht, I don't give a **** about "gay rights". How about "stable couple" rights, "couples raising children" rights.

    I'm not about to support a gay couple just because of their sexual orientation. That's reverse homophobia and is just as irrational.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-01-10 at 10:06 PM.

  6. #126
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,796

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Of course I (and everyone else) has the right to vote their conscience. And there's no requirment (obviously) that voters be either informed or enightend.

    As for the right tell others who they can or can't 'marry?'

    Sure.

    But that doesn't mean they will (or have to) listen.
    thanks for being honest, then you are an oppressor and a hypocritical american IMO

    Wasnt just asking if you think you have the right to vote but that was a nice way to start your spin machine again. Nor was I asking you if you ONLY have the right to just "tell" people who they can marry my question was more than that and you know it but when your scared to answer its natural to spin things, play coy and and argue semantics.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #127
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,796

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I most certainly do have a right, that is what being part of our society is all about. I want the laws etc to develop around what I morally and logically want. I don't care what you want, even if I do care about what you have to say and your input. After all is said and done we vote or go to court etc based on our own morality.

    That is how this country and our society works, period.



    That is silly. It was just an example. I clearly stated my position in my original post you responded to...
    nope sorry you are arguing you RELIGION and if gay marriage is legal your religion isnt effected one single bit. Instead you are being selfish and think some how you are more important than others without your religious beliefs and want to FORCE yours on others. Nope not american
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #128
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,796

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes.



    The Constitution told me so.
    WOW, you actually think you have the right to tell two consenting adults who they can marry, then you are totally selfish and and hypocritically american, and NO sorry the constitution doesnt give you that right per say LMAO

    at least you arent afraid to admit how pompous and selfish and arrogant you are. My hats off to you sir. Its amazing to me anybody thinks they have that right, my guess is its only because its not YOUR equal rights being denied
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #129
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,796

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Both, and more also. The law should not endorse relationships which are of no value to anyone other than the couple, precisely because there's reason to support them.



    Gay relationships in Rome were not of equals. Gay relationships of Rome were of master and student, of owner and slave, which is why it was illegal for a Roman citizen to be on the receiving end of a sexual encounter.

    Even in feudal Japan where gay relationships were the accepted mainstream norm, such relationships were not assumed to be the same or equal to the husband and wife union.
    wrong wasnt always the case until a religion storm happened
    denying gay marriage is denying equal rights plain and simple, no spin you TRY and put on it will matter LMAO
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    WOW, you actually think you have the right to tell two consenting adults who they can marry, then you are totally selfish and and hypocritically american, and NO sorry the constitution doesnt give you that right per say LMAO

    at least you arent afraid to admit how pompous and selfish and arrogant you are. My hats off to you sir. Its amazing to me anybody thinks they have that right, my guess is its only because its not YOUR equal rights being denied
    I actually can't marry, so wtf are you talking about?

    If I fell in love with someone and began a romantic relationship, first I would face a court-martial, and second I no longer possess the basic human right to marry as I no longer meet the criteria.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •