View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 122 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1211
    Educator Alastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Reality
    Last Seen
    06-08-14 @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    645

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I kind of wondered that myself.

    Levi does not really apply to Christians as it was the old law for the Jews, not Gentiles. It is however a good indication of what God likes and does not like. So it can be used as a reference, but the NT is what we should be following.
    So God likes it if we stone our wives and hang our brothers?

    Also, the New Testament doesn't ever mention anything about homosexuality, while it was mentioned in the Old Testament, indicating that the post-covenant God has no opinion on it one way or another.

    Can you explain then why this is deemed a sin by Christians?

  2. #1212
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    So God likes it if we stone our wives and hang our brothers?

    Also, the New Testament doesn't ever mention anything about homosexuality, while it was mentioned in the Old Testament, indicating that the post-covenant God has no opinion on it one way or another.

    Can you explain then why this is deemed a sin by Christians?
    Homosexuality is mentioned in the New Testament and is called sinful.
    1Cr 6:9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
    Rom 1:22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools
    Rom 1:23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
    Rom 1:24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.
    Rom 1:25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised. Amen.
    Rom 1:26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones.
    Rom 1:27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
    Rom 1:28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #1213
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    So God likes it if we stone our wives and hang our brothers?
    Your attempt at sarcasm to my honest answering of your question is duly noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Also, the New Testament doesn't ever mention anything about homosexuality, while it was mentioned in the Old Testament, indicating that the post-covenant God has no opinion on it one way or another.

    Can you explain then why this is deemed a sin by Christians?
    You are wrong and I have already used at least two different verses in this thread from the NT.

    Since you have chosen to "bitch" and be "sarcastic" rather than add anything to the debate, I am done with you.

    Have a good one.

    God Bless
    Last edited by Black Dog; 06-13-10 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #1214
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Homosexuality is mentioned in the New Testament and is called sinful.
    Interestingly, the I CR verse uses the Greek word malakoi, which has ambiguous and debated meaning.

    The passage from Romans has an equally debated point. One possible interpretation, which fits 100 % with the wording of the passage and the topic as it is being discussed by Paul is that it condemns heterosexuals living as homosexuals. Note that the pagans it is talking about converted from practicing heterosexuality to homosexuality. Of course, it is probably also important to note that Paul also advocated female inferiority and the owning of slaves...in the new testament, which is the current law of god according to this thread.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #1215
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Interestingly, the I CR verse uses the Greek word malakoi, which has ambiguous and debated meaning.

    The passage from Romans has an equally debated point. One possible interpretation, which fits 100 % with the wording of the passage and the topic as it is being discussed by Paul is that it condemns heterosexuals living as homosexuals. Note that the pagans it is talking about converted from practicing heterosexuality to homosexuality. Of course, it is probably also important to note that Paul also advocated female inferiority and the owning of slaves...in the new testament, which is the current law of god according to this thread.
    No Paul did not. He advocated wifes and husbands fulfilling their family roles with love and respect. He did not advocate slavery. In fact because of Christianity many slaves were treated better. Slavery was a Roman law, and Jesus and Paul never went against the government. So he laid down the rules for proper treatment of a slave, rather then condemn it.

    In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another.

    No mis translation, no out of context. This one statement is pretty self explanatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #1216
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    No Paul did not. He advocated wifes and husbands fulfilling their family roles with love and respect. He did not advocate slavery. In fact because of Christianity many slaves were treated better. Slavery was a Roman law, and Jesus and Paul never went against the government. So he laid down the rules for proper treatment of a slave, rather then condemn it.

    In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another.

    No mis translation, no out of context. This one statement is pretty self explanatory.
    Except it is out of context. It is part of a story, not the whole story. Note also the "abandoned", which fits the explanation I reported on.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #1217
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Except it is out of context. It is part of a story, not the whole story. Note also the "abandoned", which fits the explanation I reported on.
    That is one viewpoint. It is, however, a viewpoint that violates Occam's Razor.

    The simplest viewpoint is that it means what it seems to say, arsenokoites = butt****ers = sodomites, within the context of the surrounding verbage, homosexuals.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #1218
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    The word homosexuality that we see in the Bible doesn't reflect homosexual relationships as we see them today. It is talking about homosexual acts used while worshiping idols, and also refers to temple prostitutes. The NT doesn't really discuss homosexual relationships as we know them today.

  9. #1219
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    The word homosexuality that we see in the Bible doesn't reflect homosexual relationships as we see them today. It is talking about homosexual acts used while worshiping idols, and also refers to temple prostitutes. The NT doesn't really discuss homosexual relationships as we know them today.

    As I said, that is one viewpoint. It is, however, the more convoluted and indirect one, and requires quite a bit of hoop-jumping to explain "well, that verse and this verse and this passage here and that passage there do not really mean what it sounds like they mean, but rather something much less obvious."

    Been through this before. I am not convinced.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #1220
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    As I said, that is one viewpoint. It is, however, the more convoluted and indirect one, and requires quite a bit of hoop-jumping to explain "well, that verse and this verse and this passage here and that passage there do not really mean what it sounds like they mean, but rather something much less obvious."

    Been through this before. I am not convinced.
    Sometimes you have to jump through a lot of hoops to understand a book written thousands of years ago in a completely different language.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •