View Poll Results: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    186 43.26%
  • Yes, explain

    244 56.74%
Page 116 of 192 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1915

Thread: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

  1. #1151
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    WHO here does not let their personal beliefs, whatever those might be, guide their political positions to some degree? Redress, IT... have you EVER ONCE advocated that the government should not allow people do something? Then you've made a value judgement based on what you think is right, and have no grounds to bust on me for doing the same thing.
    yes in some cases personal beliefs do effect political one of course but in know quite a few people that arent for gay or gay live style but also realize in AMERICA they have no business telling two human consenting adults who they can or cant marry. They will still feel, teach, preach, and think its wrong but they arent arrogant and hypocritical enough to discriminate against their fellow americans. Most said they just wouldnt vote because they cant support it, which is fine and others even said they would vote yes because that freedom and that vote is more important to america.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #1152
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post

    Redress, I AM extending the same courtesy to you. You are free to vote according to your conscience. I will do the same, and the outcome will be whatever it is.
    I cannot stop you from voting your conscience. You cannot stop me from voting mine. Would you want to? Is it a free country if you tell me I can't vote according to my beliefs?
    But the thing is, voting based on religious beliefs will get you nowhere. The government is secular, and using a religious argument to oppose certain legislation won't hold up.

  3. #1153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Some interesting statistics:


    What do American families look like today?

    Single Parents

    * Single parents account for 27 percent of family households with children under 18. 1
    * More than two million fathers are the primary caregivers of children under 18, a 62 percent increase since 1990. 2
    * One in two children will live in a single-parent family at some point in childhood. 3
    * One in three children is born to unmarried parents. 3
    * Between 1978 and 1996, the number of babies born to unmarried women per year quadrupled from 500,000 to more than two million. 4
    * The number of single mothers increased from three million to 10 million between 1970 and 2000. 1

    Divorced Parents


    * Nearly half of all marriages end in divorce. 1
    * More than one million children have parents who separate or divorce each year. 5
    * More than half of Americans today have been, are or will be in one or more stepfamily situations. 6

    >snip< (I'm snipping out the sections on foster care and biracial families, because they are not pertinent to our discussion)

    Gay-and Lesbian-Headed/Unmarried Partner Households

    * Estimates show that approximately 2 million American children under the age of 18 are being raised by their lesbian and gay parents 11
    * The number of unmarried partner households has increased by 72 percent in the last decade from three million in 1990 to more than five million in 2000. These figures include both same-sex and different-sex couples. 1
    * One-third of lesbian households and one-fifth of gay male households have children. 1
    * The Census Bureau reports that New York has 46,490 same-sex households, Ohio has 18,937 same-sex households and Missouri has 9,428 same-sex households. 13
    * During the past decade, the number of same-sex households “grew significantly” in 10 states for which figures have been released: more than 700 percent in Delaware and Nevada; more than 400 percent in Vermont, Indiana, Louisiana and Nebraska; and more than 200 percent in Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts and Montana. 14



    1 US Census Bureau of Household and Family Statistics, 2000
    2 New York Times, May 20, 2001, Jane Fritsch
    3 State of America’s Children Yearbook 2000, Children’s Defense Fund
    4 National Survey of America’s Families
    5 The National Commission on Children
    6 Stepfamily Association of America
    7 CRS Report for Congress: Foster Care and Adoption Statistics
    8 US Census Bureau Press Release
    9 U.S. Census 2000
    10 US State Department
    11 Interview 2007, Senior Research Fellow, The Williams Institute UCLA School of Law
    12 Council on Contemporary Families
    13 Human Rights Campaign Press Release
    14 The Washington Post, June 20, 2001, D’Vera Cohn



    Groundspark

  4. #1154
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But the thing is, voting based on religious beliefs will get you nowhere. The government is secular, and using a religious argument to oppose certain legislation won't hold up.

    The government is secular yes. That doesn't mean the individual voters are, or that those they elect to represent them are, or that the beliefs of the majority are irrelevant.

    The beliefs of the majority have always been relevant in law in a democratic state. Granted that a court might force a change in the law against the will of the majority, but it is supposed to be based on existing law/Constitution, which presumably has (or at least had, at one time), majority support.

    Forced change that the majority opposes has always brought with it certain problems: civil unrest being a common one. Resentment againt the beneficiaries being another. You'd be better off to wait until you had majority support, if that happens.

    Again... if you get SSM somehow, then you do. I won't slit my wrists over it. I just can't support it.
    Last edited by Goshin; 06-13-10 at 03:37 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #1155
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,506

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    false
    like it has already been posted since we are talking about america and fair and equal rights and freedoms this doeant matter much even if it was true but lets talk about it. the majority have been male-female but the fact remains gay marriage was around like 2000 years ago
    First you say it is false. Then you say it does not matter. Then you repeat what he said as fact?

    but it has remained male-female throughout history with hardly any significant exceptions.Goshin

    the majority have been male-female but the fact remains gay marriage was around like 2000 years agoCentrist77

    Please feel free to point out the difference. Please point out where he said it was not around 2000 years ago and what that has to do with his statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    3now things you said in other threads
    you will still be just as free as you are RIGHT NOW to no support it, nobody is asking you to support it
    Yes, you are asking us to ignore it and just let it happen.

    All evil needs to succeed it for good men to do nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    also gay marriage wont change anything about marriage that is already effecting you besides that its already not holy per the law. Nothing NEW will change since theres marriages out there already that your religion doesnt see nor does it have to.
    Has no bearing on why we do not see it as viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #1156
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    At this point, I think the position of the theologically-conservative Christian has been explained as thoroughly as is possible, and further debate is unlikely to accomplish anything.


    And, I have laundry to do, so, buh-bye.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #1157
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    First you say it is false. Then you say it does not matter. Then you repeat what he said as fact?

    but it has remained male-female throughout history with hardly any significant exceptions.Goshin

    the majority have been male-female but the fact remains gay marriage was around like 2000 years agoCentrist77

    Please feel free to point out the difference. Please point out where he said it was not around 2000 years ago and what that has to do with his statement?.
    easy, not sure what you dont get, he said it is male and female THAT IS NOT TRUE, the majority is but it is not always male and female, which part dont you get?
    fact remains gay marriage has been around for a very long time so HISTORY wouldnt change and of course male female is the majority because hetero is the majority.
    so there i pointed it out like you asked
    history supports marriage HAS been between gay ALSO for a long time and that IS significant because its a fact that wont allow a true claim that it is male-female it has also been gay.



    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yes, you are asking us to ignore it and just let it happen.

    All evil needs to succeed it for good men to do nothing.
    really thats all that has to happen and that means you support it?
    wow thats a HUGE stretch!
    do you spend your days trying to stop everything that your religion says is wrong? if not you are already sinning according to your logic.

    Im going to have premarital sex tonight everybody's who religion doesnt support this better try their best to stop me or you will be supporting my sin and therefore be a sinner yourself

    also correct me if im wrong but if this is the way you feel I guess that means you also feel the hell with all people that dont think like you, the hell with the constitution, the hell with others rights because your religion is MORE important than AMERICA and everybody else in it who disagrees? or is it "just" on the gay issue and marriage, other things are ok? LMAO



    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Has no bearing on why we do not see it as viable.
    LMAO of course it does unless you want to ignore that there are probably a 1000 things that are legal or illegal that are not in line with your religion and you probably do nothing about it or dont cry that "its forcing" anything on you, it points to the heart of the issue, arrogance, hypocrisy and you want to discriminate
    Last edited by AGENT J; 06-13-10 at 04:13 PM. Reason: because it looked like a 8 yr old wrote it with all the copy/past & spelling errors due to fast typing & watching tv :)
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #1158
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    At this point, I think the position of the theologically-conservative Christian has been explained as thoroughly as is possible, and further debate is unlikely to accomplish anything.


    And, I have laundry to do, so, buh-bye.
    I agree at the end of the day it seems that you are fine with discriminating against others and being hypocritical, it seems you would rather have all laws reflect your beliefs and others dont matter.

    which by the way is your RIGHT "feel" this way, I just find it funny that its not acknowledge by you and others
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #1159
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But the thing is, voting based on religious beliefs will get you nowhere. The government is secular, and using a religious argument to oppose certain legislation won't hold up.
    agreed because it will still be discrimitive and hypocritical
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #1160
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Gay Marriage, is it right to stop it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The government is secular yes. That doesn't mean the individual voters are, or that those they elect to represent them are, or that the beliefs of the majority are irrelevant.

    The beliefs of the majority have always been relevant in law in a democratic state. Granted that a court might force a change in the law against the will of the majority, but it is supposed to be based on existing law/Constitution, which presumably has (or at least had, at one time), majority support.

    Forced change that the majority opposes has always brought with it certain problems: civil unrest being a common one. Resentment againt the beneficiaries being another. You'd be better off to wait until you had majority support, if that happens.

    Again... if you get SSM somehow, then you do. I won't slit my wrists over it. I just can't support it.
    People can have their private beliefs, but when dealing with public matters, one must put their beliefs aside, and focus on making laws that are fair, and ensure equality for all. You don't have to accept SSM, but the state should. It doesn't matter if the majority are against it, do you think the majority of people in the south would have voted against Jim Crow laws if the Supreme Court hadn't made them unconstitutional? They wouldn't of, but we all know that was a great decision that the Supreme Court made. Did most people in the south think so? No, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a good decision to repeal Jim Crow.
    And the civil unrest, and resentment is a weak argument, are we supposed to not let people have equal rights because some people may be upset about it? The time for equality, the time for justice is always, and forever now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •