View Poll Results: Which of the following statements do you agree with?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • America is becoming more and more racist

    5 10.00%
  • America isn't becoming any more racist but racists in America are becoming more and more vocal

    27 54.00%
  • America is no more or less racist today that it has ever been

    20 40.00%
  • America is not a racist country and never has been

    5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 161 to 169 of 169

Thread: Racism in America

  1. #161
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by faminedynasty View Post
    I explained it pretty clearly, but I'll be extra-patient, just for you. I pointed out that the discrepencies of income, education, prison rate, etc among the races suggests that racism has an impact on society. That's pretty straight forward. The variable in the descrepancies is race. The primary explanation is racism.
    Explain that part other than just saying it IS racism. Explain how you know it is racism, just don't say, ITS RACISM BECAUSE THERE IS A DISCREPANCY!!!!!

    There are other variables, ie where people live, their socio-economic factors, but these other variables have been impacted by racism as well. If you can think of some variable that explains the discrepencies between the demographics of the races, other than race, please, I am begging you, tell me what it is.
    Its not my job to tell you what it is. You are the one suggesting it is racism, You explain how it is racism. Don't just say, ... "it has to be". That is how the news media makes everyone think there is racism in everything. They find some statistics that look negatively on blacks and then say "There might be racism in <blank> and then everyone says, "Those RACIST ****ERS!" You are one of those reactionists that suck that **** up from the mainstream media as if it were accurate information.

    Are you suggesting that if ANY Black men succeed that there is no oppression of Black men?
    There is a difference between Fredrick Douglass, a free man, and slaves. Blacks now are free. Duh. This is too easy.

    My answer is that there are many extremely smart, talented and driven Black people in this country who manage to succeed in spite of the many obstacles they face. Also, Black culture and community, all things considered has done a fairly good job of providing strategies for success in an oppressive nation.
    We aren't an oppressive nation. We have people who lack the desire to suceed. Or they measure their success in different ways.


    So why is it then that so many Blacks, as you have it, lack the "motivation to succeed, holding true to family values", etc? Please offer an answer without appealing to race or racism. Why does the "some people have it, some people don't" thing also have huge statistical discrepencies based on race? I'm dying to know.
    Don't ask me. I have a desire to succeed. I can't explain the reason for the cultural differences between whites and blacks, why blacks are so attracted to gangs and crime at much higher rates than whites are.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #162
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    706

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Explain that part other than just saying it IS racism. Explain how you know it is racism, just don't say, ITS RACISM BECAUSE THERE IS A DISCREPANCY!!!!!
    The discrepency is based on race. Our neighborhoods are segregated based on race. So yes, this conclusively has to do with race.
    There is a difference between Fredrick Douglass, a free man, and slaves. Blacks now are free. Duh. This is too easy.
    Did you forget what your argument was? You obviously did. Your argument was how come we have successful black people if black people are oppressed. I demonstrated that Black people can succeed even under conditions of extreme oppression. That answered your question conclusively and refuted your argument. Don't completely change the subject and claim a victory out of that.
    We aren't an oppressive nation. We have people who lack the desire to suceed. Or they measure their success in different ways. Don't ask me. I have a desire to succeed.
    So in the final analysis your argument boils down to: Black people as a whole have higher rates of poverty and imprisonment, lower rates of college education, make less money and die younger because... Black people as a whole don't desire to succeed? Or at least don't desire to succeed as much as white people do? That's an alarmingly common argument and a good indication of where America is in terms of racism. It's no longer a belief that all whites are better than all Blacks, it's more of the belief that the economic supremacy of whites is the result of their moral supremacy.
    I can't explain the reason for the cultural differences between whites and blacks, why blacks are so attracted to gangs and crime at much higher rates than whites are.
    Of course you can't, because you refuse to analyze it historically and take into consideration the role that racism has had in the history of the country.
    "We may have destroyed this country, but we got rich doing it!" --The GOP
    There is a special place in hell for those who care only about themselves.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by faminedynasty View Post
    The discrepency is based on race. Our neighborhoods are segregated based on race. So yes, this conclusively has to do with race.
    But you can't explain how racism (unequal treatment of others based upon race) is at fault here.


    Did you forget what your argument was? You obviously did. Your argument was how come we have successful black people if black people are oppressed. I demonstrated that Black people can succeed even under conditions of extreme oppression. That answered your question conclusively and refuted your argument. Don't completely change the subject and claim a victory out of that.
    Your demonstration is comparing apples and oranges. Blacks are free. Thus the slavery comparison to today does not work. There is no oppression, only self oppression. Obama didn't oppress himself, look where he got.



    So in the final analysis your argument boils down to: Black people as a whole have higher rates of poverty and imprisonment, lower rates of college education, make less money and die younger because... Black people as a whole don't desire to succeed? Or at least don't desire to succeed as much as white people do? That's an alarmingly common argument and a good indication of where America is in terms of racism. It's no longer a belief that all whites are better than all Blacks, it's more of the belief that the economic supremacy of whites is the result of their moral supremacy.
    No, I have provided no reason for the disparity. Ive just continued to ask you to explain your reason why it MUST be racism that is causing the problem.


    Of course you can't, because you refuse to analyze it historically and take into consideration the role that racism has had in the history of the country.[/QUOTE]
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Racism in America

    Could not vote because there was no 'other'.

    First, let's put a range for racism...

    My gramma, SHE was racist... she'd be like 'look at that (insert slur here) walking by all (insert stereotype here)." Sometimes even if they were within earshot...

    Most people that could be called 'racist' fall in a less extreme category, where they might have just preferential issues against certain races, but won't act outright aggression for a person based on.

    That said, there are still racists out there that would act out violently at the presence of someone of that race. That's the minority.

    NOw, there is the recent media creation of redefining 'racism' to mean anyone essentially that objects to Obama, or any of his policies, especially tea parties, etc...

    So, yes, there's alot more 'racists' but it's racism with a different meaning, that's nothing even remotely based on any actual remnants of racism exists in this country.

  5. #165
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    What ****ing tripe this is. Be more emotional...it's really helping you out.
    So you can't answer any of those questions? Glad to know.

    I did. Did you somehow forget already what you wrote?

    "Some of the same posters in this thread who say America is becoming 'less and less' racist are those who will swear that it is highly unlikely that Barack Obama got through university without Affirmative Action. Seems to me like the racism is now a lot more politically correct."

    I'm in the group that you stereotyped. America is definitely not as racist as it once was.

    Oh but I disagree. I think not much has changed in 40 years.

    - You have a Republican party which picked up the "disenfranchised" whites left behind by the formerly pro-segregation Democratic Party.

    - You have quotas on how many blacks you are supposed to have in our schools.

    - You have black television channels for black people because the characters on 'white television' are stereotypical comic relief or token characters.

    - You have black actors being forced into negative stereotypical roles to win at the Oscars.

    - You have white people accusing the federal government of being racist when over 90% of congress is white itself.

    - You have both black and white people blaming their life failures on illegal immigrants from Mexico who took their orange picking jobs

    Seriously, anybody who doesn't think America is still as racist as say 50 years ago is fooling themselves. The racist has become more PC but it is still there. You have tons of unemployed people blaming others for their failures. Just like the Irish were blamed in the 1860s and 1870s, Mexicans are now blamed. You have a much more politically correct segregation of blacks and whites but it is still there. If anything the same trends of racism are still pretty obvious in America.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 05-09-10 at 12:50 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #166
    User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    05-18-10 @ 10:59 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42

    Re: Racism in America

    back in the 80s. people werent going after hispanics the same way they are today. take for example the arizona law. i also dont remember muslims being targeted the same way. back then people used to be able to say they were muslim. nowadays, you got people afraid to even admit theyre muslims. maybe things have gotten better for afro americans, but alot of hatred is still there. also afro americans still seem to get locked up in disproportionate numbers. another thing to consider is that since obama got elected this has fueled a rise in racist hate groups according to the southern poverty law centre.

  7. #167
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Last Seen
    09-15-10 @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: Racism in America

    Rascists are a good example of free speech abuse.
    Last edited by Mell; 05-17-10 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mell View Post
    Rascist are a good example of free speech abuse.
    Yes, we should just take them out back and shoot them for thought crimes.

    p.s. Your post is a good example of a failed attempt at censorship.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 05-17-10 at 04:36 PM.

  9. #169
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Mell View Post
    Rascists are a good example of free speech abuse.
    There is no such thing as free speech abuse.

    Free speech is free speech.

    It can't be abused or overdone, it just is.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •