View Poll Results: Which of the following statements do you agree with?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • America is becoming more and more racist

    5 10.00%
  • America isn't becoming any more racist but racists in America are becoming more and more vocal

    27 54.00%
  • America is no more or less racist today that it has ever been

    20 40.00%
  • America is not a racist country and never has been

    5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 169

Thread: Racism in America

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Racism in America

    Want to prove the crack laws are racist?

    Present the enabling debates, from all 57 states, that demonstrates the intent of the legislators of all 57 states was the oppression of the black drug addict to preserve the white drug addict.

  2. #132
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    50 years of living on Planet Earth, outside of the Ivory Towers means I'm able to form my own opinions on better evidence than unelected judges.



    Just think of all the time you've wasted when you could have asked me for the right answer, instead.

    I'm not one to see a racist behind ever bush, tree, and blade of grass. I wait for the real thing before I start using the term.

    Also, you simply refused to address the cultural aspect that negates the racism in the law. If more of one cultural group is participating in an illegal act, it's not the fault of the law or the legislators that more of that group get convicted of the crime.

    You've failed to make the case that crack and coke are the same, because they're not. Thus your argument that the greater preponderance of crack convictions among blacks is racist isn't logically sustainable. Now you're pretending to practice law. Well, you need more practice if you're going to improve your debating skills and your applied logic.

    now that is funny

    now tell us why crack is 100 times worse than coke

    you do that and I might stop thinking you the fool

    you have completely missed the point. American jurisprudence allows someone to establish a presumption of racism if a law or a rule has a disparate impact on a race. That presumption can be rebutted with a legitimate non-discriminatory reason. You seem to miss the entire analysis

    tell us why people get a mandatory five for mere possession of minor league amounts of crack but there is no mandatory jail time for crank, or crystal meth or heroin etc



  3. #133
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Want to prove the crack laws are racist?

    Present the enabling debates, from all 57 states, that demonstrates the intent of the legislators of all 57 states was the oppression of the black drug addict to preserve the white drug addict.
    57 states=you don't strike me as having the same politics as that clown in the whitehouse



  4. #134
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    So, you're assuming I'm not black.

    Case closed.
    I am assuming this among other things yes.

    Does not change the fact that you are in this case wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #135
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    706

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Black crime rates were not nearly as high compared to whites back in the days of Jim Crow.
    What were the crime rates for crimes committed by Jews in Auschwitz? People who aren't free, ie no freedom of mobility, speech, action can't commit much crime really.
    Racism does not explain the fact that more t han 70% of black births are to unwed mothers or that black teenage girls are impregnated at alarming rates by black men often 10-15 years their senior. Racism does not explain why black kids who bust their humps in school are ridiculed by other blacks or blacks who learn proper English are called sell outs.
    It does actually. Unfortunately you have to think about it for a moment.
    "We may have destroyed this country, but we got rich doing it!" --The GOP
    There is a special place in hell for those who care only about themselves.

  6. #136
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by faminedynasty View Post
    What were the crime rates for crimes committed by Jews in Auschwitz? People who aren't free, ie no freedom of mobility, speech, action can't commit much crime really.

    It does actually. Unfortunately you have to think about it for a moment.
    Yeah I did-for many years. You see I know that racism is at fault. But not the kind you think. Its not "right wing" racism that causes that. Its black racism that is bigoted towards "white values". Its also liberal racism-the racism of low expectations and the enablement of sociol pathologies to continue and expand-that causes these problems



  7. #137
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by faminedynasty View Post

    It does actually. Unfortunately you have to think about it for a moment.
    I fail to see how racism causes this.

    Your just looking for an excuse. If more people would pull their heads out of their asses they wouldn't have this problem. Unfortunately, the type of thinking coming from you is an excellent example of why this doesn't happen. Its easier to blame someone else than to realize you are at fault or there might be other factors involved in the problem outside of a paranoia of racism and that is what alot of these lame examples of racism are.

    When a black guy is arrested for possession of marijuana when he is in possession of marijuana, thats not racism, thats enforcing the law.

    When a black kid doesn't make it into college because his grades suck ass and he never tried to apply himself, thats not racism.

    But, if we just blame everything on racism instead of looking at what the real problem is, then somehow society is to blame for the failures of the individual.

    In the end, what the real problem is in these two examples is the individual's lack of desire to succeed, and the individual's lack of respect for the law. Personally I think both of those could be fixed by parental involvement during the crucial pre-teen/teenage years. Of course, the excuse is that the poor black single mother has to work two jobs to afford to take care of her family doesn't "have time" to be a parent. Thats an excuse. Im a white male who, after his mother passed when he was 9 years old, had a father who was never around because HE was busy working hard to afford to take care of his three children. I managed just fine. He didn't spend alot of time with us, but its about how you relay the message to your children in the time you do have thats important.

    No excuses.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #138
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I fail to see how racism causes this.

    Your just looking for an excuse. If more people would pull their heads out of their asses they wouldn't have this problem. Unfortunately, the type of thinking coming from you is an excellent example of why this doesn't happen. Its easier to blame someone else than to realize you are at fault or there might be other factors involved in the problem outside of a paranoia of racism and that is what alot of these lame examples of racism are.

    When a black guy is arrested for possession of marijuana when he is in possession of marijuana, thats not racism, thats enforcing the law.

    When a black kid doesn't make it into college because his grades suck ass and he never tried to apply himself, thats not racism.

    But, if we just blame everything on racism instead of looking at what the real problem is, then somehow society is to blame for the failures of the individual.

    In the end, what the real problem is in these two examples is the individual's lack of desire to succeed, and the individual's lack of respect for the law. Personally I think both of those could be fixed by parental involvement during the crucial pre-teen/teenage years. Of course, the excuse is that the poor black single mother has to work two jobs to afford to take care of her family doesn't "have time" to be a parent. Thats an excuse. Im a white male who, after his mother passed when he was 9 years old, had a father who was never around because HE was busy working hard to afford to take care of his three children. I managed just fine. He didn't spend alot of time with us, but its about how you relay the message to your children in the time you do have thats important.

    No excuses.
    Excellent point. the crutch of being able to excuse all sorts of failure on racism rather than personal failure that the left has supplied is the worst form of racism



  9. #139
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    706

    Re: Racism in America

    You guys seem to tend to think that Black culture is the cause of Black people's astronomical rates of poverty, imprisonment, drug abuse etc.
    1) That's not the main factor.

    2) I'll admit that "Black culture" isn't perfect. I'm not denying that gangs and anti-intellectualism are a problem (although that's a problem in most races in America) But let me ask you this: what has African-American culture developed in response to? Why is there even something called Black culture? And why is there a group of people who are defined first and foremost as being "Black"?

    Blackness itself, at least as the defining characteristic of an individual is an invention of the capitalist system. The presumed inferiority, the assertion of the less than human value of a Black man or woman, etc. arose out of the necessity for cheap labor. Modern racism was invented as a justification for the slave trade, which in turn built modern capitalism. Thus, Blackness itself, as we know it today, is an invention of capitalist racism.

    Black culture has developed in response to systematic oppression and racism. From slavery, to Jim Crow, to the destruction of the Black middle class under Reagan to today--at every turn Black culture has had to respond to massive, systematic racism with the limited resources that are inherent to being part of a hated minority who is oppressed politically and economically.

    Throughout history when you have any racial or ethnic group to whom the doors of power aren't open--to whom jobs or equal rights aren't available, you'll see that they tend to establish their own leadership structures which will be criminal by the standards of the ruling class. Be it la castra nostra or the bloods and crips. In the early 80's, as the manufacturing jobs that had offered some hope to the Black community were systematically dismantled and shipped overseas people turned to the drug trade out of desperation.

    Drug trades lead to violence. But these drugs and violence are the result of horrific conditions that make them seem like the best possible options. You can talk about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps all you want, but the reality is that when gangs and drugs exploded in LA, there weren't jobs available to young men in the Black community. And there aren't many today. Have you seen the Black unemployment rate lately?

    Can you acknowledge that if some problems arise in "Black culture" that perhaps, just maybe on some infinitesimal level, racism, historic and current, played some hand in that? You really can't make that connection? If not, I'd like you to offer an alternative explanation. Is it simply that the vile, destructive, Black culture you despise has emerged purely from the vile, destructive, Black hearts of Black men, for no good reason?
    "We may have destroyed this country, but we got rich doing it!" --The GOP
    There is a special place in hell for those who care only about themselves.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Yeah I did-for many years. You see I know that racism is at fault. But not the kind you think. Its not "right wing" racism that causes that. Its black racism that is bigoted towards "white values". Its also liberal racism-the racism of low expectations and the enablement of sociol pathologies to continue and expand-that causes these problems
    Not aLL liberals think that way. For example I think affirmative action is racist.

    My opinion is that other means should and could be used to combat racism, within the boundaries of the constitution.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •