View Poll Results: Which of the following statements do you agree with?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • America is becoming more and more racist

    5 10.00%
  • America isn't becoming any more racist but racists in America are becoming more and more vocal

    27 54.00%
  • America is no more or less racist today that it has ever been

    20 40.00%
  • America is not a racist country and never has been

    5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 169

Thread: Racism in America

  1. #121
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-24-13 @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    64

    Re: Racism in America

    cocaine and crack cocaine are big problems. I think crack cocaine was introduced into the black community but it is rapidly spreading in the latino and white communities. Here in western and south florida most known crackheads in my neighborhoods were white though alot of latino and blacks too. It is rapidly spreading into rural america.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    If a law has a disparate impact on a group that is a prima facie case of racial discrimination.
    No.

    It's not.

    Your argument is not logically defensible.

    It's possible evidence that certain groups are statistically more likely to engage in certain unlawful behaviors.

  3. #123
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,630

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    No.

    It's not.

    Your argument is not logically defensible.

    It's possible evidence that certain groups are statistically more likely to engage in certain unlawful behaviors.
    you confuse a prima facie case -which is the first stage-with the rebuttal which is the third.



  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    That's probably the worst apples/oranges comparison I've ever seen. Hands down.

    Would you like to try again?
    No, it worked fine for me, especially since the argument that crack and coke are "the same substance" isn't true.

    If they were the same substance they'd have the same effect on a body.

    Properly tempering a Hershey Bar and pouring it into a bunny mold doesn't alter the properties of the chocolate and it won't affect the physical and chemical effects of the body when consumed. Since crack clearly causes a different physical response, the argument that it's an identical substance is refuted.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you confuse a prima facie case -which is the first stage-with the rebuttal which is the third.
    No.

    Just the observance of a disparity does not logically imply the existence of racism, the judgement of the vagina of Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor to the contrary notwithstanding.

  6. #126
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,630

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    No.

    Just the observance of a disparity does not logically imply the existence of racism, the judgement of the vagina of Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor to the contrary notwithstanding.
    40 years of race discrimination jurisprudence would disagree with you.

    But what do I know, I have only handled a few hundred cases of it, how about you?



  7. #127
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Which of the following statements do you agree with:
    I don't really agree with any of them.

    Apparently racism isn't an American-only thing. It's all over the world - every country, every culture.

    When I realized that there went my concern with trying to end racism. It's, apparently, a part of human nature. I don't understand it but I don't care about it like I use to.

    However, I believe Racism in America is far less common than racism in some other countries and cultures. In part because our issues with it in the past are far more recent than other countries - were more adamantly against it.

    I do feel that Americans have a horrible habit of generalizing everything - making broad sweeping statements that offend many and are rarely true.
    The recently thrashed statement that "If you're racist then you're probably a Republican" is proven wrong time and time again by every Black Democrat whose tossed a cracker-comment or vilified all "evil white men" at some point.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 05-03-10 at 11:38 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    40 years of race discrimination jurisprudence would disagree with you.
    50 years of living on Planet Earth, outside of the Ivory Towers means I'm able to form my own opinions on better evidence than unelected judges.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    But what do I know, I have only handled a few hundred cases of it, how about you?
    Just think of all the time you've wasted when you could have asked me for the right answer, instead.

    I'm not one to see a racist behind ever bush, tree, and blade of grass. I wait for the real thing before I start using the term.

    Also, you simply refused to address the cultural aspect that negates the racism in the law. If more of one cultural group is participating in an illegal act, it's not the fault of the law or the legislators that more of that group get convicted of the crime.

    You've failed to make the case that crack and coke are the same, because they're not. Thus your argument that the greater preponderance of crack convictions among blacks is racist isn't logically sustainable. Now you're pretending to practice law. Well, you need more practice if you're going to improve your debating skills and your applied logic.

  9. #129
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    50 years of living on Planet Earth, outside of the Ivory Towers means I'm able to form my own opinions on better evidence than unelected judges.
    Well I will cover your 50 years with my 47, and raise you being a black man and police officer.

    He's right and you are worng.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Racism in America

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Well I will cover your 50 years with my 47, and raise you being a black man and police officer.

    He's right and you are worng.
    So, you're assuming I'm not black.

    Case closed.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •