View Poll Results: Should the U.S. have a national identity card?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it makes perfect sense. Screening for legal residence could be done with other police stops

    8 22.86%
  • They already make you show ID and proof of insurance, it might be okay

    1 2.86%
  • As long as minorities aren't specifically targeted, it's fine

    1 2.86%
  • I don't like the idea, it makes me uncomfortable

    4 11.43%
  • Sounds like police state tactics to me.

    17 48.57%
  • Other, please explain

    4 11.43%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Should the U.S. have a nationa identity card?

  1. #31
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should the U.S. have a nationa identity card?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    I have an idea... how about you profile me? Oh wait, you just did. I'm not pro-illegal. I'm anti-discrimination... in this case, towards people who ARE in the country legally but look like, act like or sound like they are in the country illegally.
    When you spew pro-illegals rhetoric one has to wonder if you are pro-illegal immigration.

    Tell me, how do you tell an illegal from a legal resident?
    When you stop someone for a traffic violation,loitering or some other crime you ask them for ID.If they do not speak english get an interpreter to demand immigration documents (seeing how natural born citizens are fluent in english and naturalized Americans have to pass a english proficiency test.) if they do not produce documents then most like that person is an illegal.They produce documents then they are here legally, if they do not then they are here illegally.

    This is why I said the police should require EVERYONE to show proof of a legal status if they are stopped for a legitimate reason, even if they are most likely a legal citizens.
    I have no problem with everybody being asked to show proof of legal status if they are stopped from speeding or some other offense. With the age of computers it shouldn't take long for the police to check the DMV to see if everything is legit.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #32
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Should the U.S. have a nationa identity card?

    7 out of 10 illegals don't drive. They just pile into the van.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Should the U.S. have a nationa identity card?

    I think a national ID card, though a good idea, would actually be unnecessary if:

    1. the gov't would just enforce immirgration laws already on the books;
    2. all local and state criminal databases where also linked to NIS/FBI databases.

    To me it's quite simple - if you're going to be checking a person's driving and criminal record on routine traffic stops, you may as well check their immigration status, too, if you suspect that person of being here illegally. It's a common sense approach that won't be enforced simply because it sounds too much like the right thing to do.

    Now, having said that, IF the fed could convince the states that the information on the National ID card would, in fact, contain all pertainant info on it and would also act as a valid state issued driver's license as well as a VISA, then and only then would I be okay with it because it would streamline the ID process in conjunction with what I've stated above and also eliminate the need to carry multiple pieces of ID. But again, it will never happen because it sounds too much like right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    7 out of 10 illegals don't drive. They just pile into the van.
    True, but if you as a local law enforcement officer suspects the driver and/or passengers of being in this country illegally, you have the right to inquire of anyone in that vehicle to provide proof of legal residency and, thereby their legal status, in this country. Remember: It's only racial profiling if you purposely target a specific group of people by virtue of their race or ethnicity of wrong doing w/o probably cause.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 04-29-10 at 05:56 PM.

  4. #34
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,443
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Should the U.S. have a nationa identity card?

    One question?

    What good is the card if you don't carry it around with you all the time?

    Is that the idea?

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  5. #35
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Should the U.S. have a nationa identity card?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    When you spew pro-illegals rhetoric one has to wonder if you are pro-illegal immigration.
    Where did I "spew pro-illegal rhetoric"? Just because I'm against discrimination toward American citizens who look, sound or act like illegal immigrants... does not mean I'm pro-illegal.



    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    When you stop someone for a traffic violation,loitering or some other crime you ask them for ID.If they do not speak english get an interpreter to demand immigration documents (seeing how natural born citizens are fluent in english and naturalized Americans have to pass a english proficiency test.) if they do not produce documents then most like that person is an illegal.They produce documents then they are here legally, if they do not then they are here illegally.
    Yes, this could be a good sign that they are illegally in the U.S.

    However, I've had friends who are legally, and were legally in the U.S., who couldn't speak English when they first migrated to the states. Even during high school and in my neighborhood there were people who couldn't speak English well.

    And lets not forget that people can take vacations from Mexico to the U.S.

    This is my main concern: I would personally feel discriminated against if police officers kept asking me if I was legally in the country and demanding I show proof. But that would depend on how often I got questioned.

    Should the Mexican police suspect you of being an illegal immigrant and question you because you primarily speak English?

    Using solely a person's speaking habits is not a bullet proof way of determining that someone is illegally in the U.S. Everyone should be asked to show proof, even if they can speak English well; or can't speak English at all.



    But like I said, and you appear to be ignoring this comment... I'm waiting to see how they implement the law before passing final judgment. If the law turns out the way I fear it could, then I'd say ban the law... but if it works, keep it.

  6. #36
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should the U.S. have a nationa identity card?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jucon View Post
    Where did I "spew pro-illegal rhetoric"? Just because I'm against discrimination toward American citizens who look, sound or act like illegal immigrants... does not mean I'm pro-illegal.
    Seeing how pro-illegals are spewing the line that Arizona's new law is racial profiling and you seem to be spewing that line too. One has to wonder if you are what you say you are.


    However, I've had friends who are legally, and were legally in the U.S., who couldn't speak English when they first migrated to the states. Even during high school and in my neighborhood there were people who couldn't speak English well.
    If they are naturalized citizens then they should be able to speak english.However if they are permant resident/greencard, work visa or anything else they have to carry their immigration documents on them
    And lets not forget that people can take vacations from Mexico to the U.S.
    They still have carry their documents on them at all times regardless of what state they are in.

    This is my main concern: I would personally feel discriminated against if police officers kept asking me if I was legally in the country and demanding I show proof. But that would depend on how often I got questioned.
    The only way that would happen is if you kept speeding,driving with a broken tail light or some other traffic offense (thus giving police a reason to stop you), going through DUI check points, loitering around somewhere or doing something that is going to get you pulled over or stopped by police.

    Should the Mexican police suspect you of being an illegal immigrant and question you because you primarily speak English?
    Yes and I should have my legal documents on me to prove that I am in their country legally.Its funny that the country we get the most illegals from has the strictest anti-illegal immigration laws.

    Using solely a person's speaking habits is not a bullet proof way of determining that someone is illegally in the U.S. Everyone should be asked to show proof, even if they can speak English well; or can't speak English at all.
    It is a way to determine if they are a immigrant or an illegal seeing how in order to be a naturalized citizen you have to pass a english proficiency test.As far as I know you have to be stopped(see the lawful contact part of the new Arizona law) for some other reason before they can even question you.

    But like I said, and you appear to be ignoring this comment... I'm waiting to see how they implement the law before passing final judgment. If the law turns out the way I fear it could, then I'd say ban the law... but if it works, keep it.
    In Oklahoma if you are arrested even for a misdemeanor they check your legal status, if you can not they hold you until ICE can get you. I imagine that Arizona's is similar except they can stop you for speeding,loitering,road block and etc they then can ask you to prove your legal status there since the new Arizona law says lawful contact must be made,meaning they can ,Lawfull contact does not mean stoping someoen because they look Mexican contrary to what all the pro-illegals degenerates in the media says that the new Arizona law does.

    http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf
    B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY
    21 OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS
    22 STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS
    23 UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE,
    24 WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON. THE
    25 PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
    26 PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373(c).
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #37
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should the U.S. have a nationa identity card?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    If they have a state ID of some kind, why would that not be enough to prove that they have legal residence in the U.S.?
    The same reason why it is not enough to prove eligibility to work on an I-9 -- a DL only establishes identity.

  8. #38
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should the U.S. have a nationa identity card?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    National ID cards are a sensible policy that should have been implemented years ago.
    Damn I am actually having to thank the Rat.

  9. #39
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should the U.S. have a nationa identity card?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Most of the the people in Arizona who are illegal, "look" (i.e., Mexican) illegal.
    That stinks of Racism.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •