View Poll Results: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 15.79%
  • No

    48 84.21%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 81

Thread: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

  1. #51
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Apparently the concept of asking questions is over your head. The question mark at the end of the sentence you quoted denotes a question, as in I am asking if that is what you are saying. Let me try it another way, since you diucked the question. Is it life or death, or is it convenience that most illegals are in this country?
    Neither.


    Just because you don't believe it's a crime does not make it so.
    You obviously have reading comprehension issues. On a STRICTLY PERSONAL LEVEL I do not believe it to be crime. The state does, however. So it's illegal. I thought that was pretty clear, but I understand what I'm dealing with now, so I'll be far more careful (or not bother at all).

    The real question is why you think it's bad. Is it simply because it's illegal and you think anything illegal is bad by sole virtue of it being illegal? If so that's really lazy, but OK. At least we can end the conversation. If not, what makes hopping the fence bad?
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  2. #52
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Well, a million a year are granted. That's hardly a 'few'.
    What are the odds of a Mexican getting a resident Visa? Pretty damn slim. 'Nuff said.

    And, I said I would only enter a country illegally if my life was in danger. In which case, I would be afforded protection by the US government if I could show that my life was in danger. There would be absolutely no other reason I would enter a country illegally.
    That's fair. It's up to you. I cannot very well argue against your own personal morality. Don't want to jump the fance, don't jump the fence. Who gives a crap?

    Yeah, they don't steal SS numbers, get paid under the table, get treatment at hospitals that the rest of us have to pay for. Nothing like that at all.
    What do you expect? You won't give them a Visa! They have to get paid under the table (which hurts no one). They have to get a SSN (which may or may not hurt someone). And they can't get health insurance (no hospital should be forced to treat anyone, citizen or not).
    Last edited by stekim; 04-27-10 at 03:20 PM.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  3. #53
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    Neither.
    Then what are you saying?




    You obviously have reading comprehension issues. On a STRICTLY PERSONAL LEVEL I do not believe it to be crime. The state does, however. So it's illegal. I thought that was pretty clear, but I understand what I'm dealing with now, so I'll be far more careful (or not bother at all).

    The real question is why you think it's bad. Is it simply because it's illegal and you think anything illegal is bad by sole virtue of it being illegal? If so that's really lazy, but OK. At least we can end the conversation. If not, what makes hopping the fence bad?
    Laws are not on a STRICTLY PERSONAL LEVEL. They are something very important, and made by the representatives of us the people. Laws are important.

    Illegals are bad because they, by definition, do not respect the laws of the country they are coming to. Illegals are bad because they are not controlled immigration. I am all in favor of legal immigration, it made this country great. The controls on immigration are there for a reason. One of those reasons is that we simply cannot absorb without social cost all those who want to come here.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    With regards to Mexicans coming in here, I don't mind as long as they do two things: pay taxes and speak English.

    If you're an uneducated American laborer who's whining because some Mexican will do a better job at a fraction of the cost, tough luck on you. Jobs aren't a right, nor are they an entitlement.
    That is basically my thoughts on the matter. The scenario where illegals are hiding like rats and trying to avoid becoming tax payers has been debunked over and over again.

    More illegal immigrants are rushing to file taxes - The Boston Globe

    In Massachusetts, taxpayers here illegally are lining up from Chelsea to the Berkshires, despite the fear of deportation that is permeating the state after a massive raid in New Bedford last year and smaller raids in Boston-area cities and towns. While typical American taxpayers are wary of the Internal Revenue Service, illegal immigrants see the IRS as a friendly agency that could help in their quest for legal residency.

    "It's catching on that this is one of the things that you do" as a resident of the United States, said Corinn Williams, executive director of the Community Economic Development Center in New Bedford, which is getting 10 calls a day, double the number it got a year ago, from immigrants who want help filing taxes. "If you're making a case that you want to stay here, without a doubt that's one of the things that the judge is going to look at."
    Illegals filing taxes more than ever - Tax Tactics - msnbc.com

    RICHMOND, Calif. - Carlos Diaz broke the law when he crossed the border and took a job as an office janitor. But he’s not about to break another by failing to pay his income tax.

    “I’ve been talking to other people who’ve done it, and I want to follow the law,” said Diaz, an undocumented immigrant from Guatemala who squirmed in his seat at a neighborhood tax preparer’s office.
    IRS seminars, IDs help illegal immigrants pay US taxes / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

    These people aren't in a quandary over new tax laws or changes to the code. These are illegal immigrants who – up until today – have been using false social security numbers to work in the United States. Immigrants like them are flocking in record numbers to IRS offices and seminars such as this one to learn how to become legal US taxpayers.

    The IRS has been quietly supporting this activity since 1996 when it created an individual taxpayer identification number designed for anyone who doesn't have a social security number.

    This program has gained momentum as immigrants become aware of this option – and more fearless about their position in the US workforce.
    It is just a lot easier to paint them as criminals or people who do not want to integrate into American society.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #55
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Illegals are bad because they, by definition, do not respect the laws of the country they are coming to. Illegals are bad because they are not controlled immigration. I am all in favor of legal immigration, it made this country great. The controls on immigration are there for a reason. One of those reasons is that we simply cannot absorb without social cost all those who want to come here.
    So they are bad because the law says they are bad and not because they are causing any harm to anybody in particular. The 'legal immigration made this country great' line is erroneous. Immigration laws started out to control who came into this country and when they came. For the first 100 years or so of our history they were used to declare who was white - thus allowed to be a citizen - and who wasn't. Nobody was safe. Even Eastern Europeans who by today's standards would be considered 'white' got it pretty bad. Italians, Greeks etc. If anything for the majority of people who came here 'legal immigration' as you word it reflects what made this country so horrible for the first 300 years of its history. The only problem is, that it was a lot harder to deport people 100 years ago than it is today.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 04-27-10 at 03:47 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #56
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Then what are you saying?
    I'm saying if it's a real struggle to support your family in East Berlin and it's far easier in West Berlin, jumping the wall makes total sense to me. The fact it's illegal means nothing to me because no one is being harmed.

    Laws are not on a STRICTLY PERSONAL LEVEL.
    I know. But my opinion as to their general worth is entirely personal. They have every right to pass laws and I have every right to agree with them or not.

    They are something very important, and made by the representatives of us the people. Laws are important.
    Some are. Some are not. In general, however, I agree that "laws are important".

    Illegals are bad because they, by definition, do not respect the laws of the country they are coming to.
    How do you define that exactly? Is it breaking one law? 100 laws? "Important" laws? I don't know where the cutoff is for "not respecting" laws. I don't know anyone who hasn't broken any laws. Does that mean they don't respect laws in general? And how is that, in and of itself, bad? In other words, let's say I hate every law in America, but have not violated anyone else's life, liberty or property. Am I bad?
    Last edited by stekim; 04-27-10 at 03:48 PM.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  7. #57
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Okay, so if your people were being targeted for genocide, you would just die rather then illegally enter a neighboring country to escape the genocidal maniacs trying to kill you?

    That's basically what you're telling me.

    You do realize that a large percentage of refugees across the planet are illegals fleeing from war no? Nations generally don't prosecute or send them back for such reasons.
    Most countries have asylum laws, you can cross the border and claim asylum from war and/or persecution and they will accept your presence legally. If so, sure, I can accept someone walking across the border and then immediately claiming asylum, the few minutes they spent there illegally come out in the wash.

    However, if they cross the border and don't bother to claim asylum, then I have zero sympathy for them.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #58
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    What are the odds of a Mexican getting a resident Visa? Pretty damn slim. 'Nuff said.
    A million a year are issued. Why do you claim it's pretty slim?


    That's fair. It's up to you. I cannot very well argue against your own personal morality. Don't want to jump the fance, don't jump the fence. Who gives a crap?
    The OP. Since that's what the thread is about.


    What do you expect? You won't give them a Visa!
    Did they apply for one? Over a million of them given per year. I don't want to hear jack ****ing **** about how it's impossible to get one or that 'we won't give them one'. We give a million of them a year. That's over 2700 of them issued PER DAY. How can you say we won't give them one?

    They have to get paid under the table (which hurts no one).
    Taxes are not taken from that, so yes it does hurt everyone - including THEM

    They have to get a SSN (which may or may not hurt someone).
    Identity theft hurts someone.

    And they can't get health insurance (no hospital should be forced to treat anyone, citizen or not).
    They don't need health insurance to get treatment. But instead, they get treatment and don't pay... costing the taxpayers billions of dollars a year.
    Last edited by rivrrat; 04-27-10 at 03:50 PM.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Most countries have asylum laws, you can cross the border and claim asylum from war and/or persecution and they will accept your presence legally. If so, sure, I can accept someone walking across the border and then immediately claiming asylum, the few minutes they spent there illegally come out in the wash.

    However, if they cross the border and don't bother to claim asylum, then I have zero sympathy for them.
    The problem is asylum laws are very selective. Cubans get to claim it but Haitians don't even though Haiti is far worse off than Cuba in ALL aspects. Salvadorians and Guatemalans got to claim it but Mexicans didn't even though they lived under a one party dictatorship for over 70 years. Our selective granting of asylum based on nationality is a serious issue.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #60
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Do you think it is ok to enter a country illegally?

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    Because those are stealing. Duh. If people are crossing the border to steal then I oppose it.
    What else would they be crossing the border hoping to achieve? They'll have to seek jobs to which they are not legally entitled and almost certainly social services to which they are not legally entitled. In essence, they are indeed stealing, just as much as a person sneaking into a movie to which they are not legally entitled (ie. have bought a ticket) to see.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •