View Poll Results: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes they should be able to favor one religion in a divorce dispute

    13 20.00%
  • Each parent should be allowed to expose the child to their respective faiths

    26 40.00%
  • The court should butt out of disputes of a religious nature

    18 27.69%
  • The parents should have thought of this ahead of time.

    4 6.15%
  • Other, please explain

    4 6.15%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 126

Thread: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

  1. #91
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Okay.



    So a Jew and a Catholic get married, and you end up with two (and possibly three) atheists. That works!
    LOL Right now, my son is at pre-school at our Jewish Community Center. He is going to go to a Christian school next year (which is much closer to our house). I will not discourage him from believing in God or any higher power. Although I have no idea how that would impact him if he knew I was an atheist. I will need to use my words wisely should he ask me that question (Mommy, do you believe in God?"). I won't lie to him, though.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Not with the parents. They will either petition the court or get in a fight or whatever. The job of the court is to resolve conflicts, not ignore them.
    Not always.


    But only if the court decides that is the preferable way to handle things. Which means it is the court's resolution anyway.

    In any event, I know what you mean.
    ok

  3. #93
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    LOL Right now, my son is at pre-school at our Jewish Community Center. He is going to go to a Christian school next year (which is much closer to our house). I will not discourage him from believing in God or any higher power. Although I have no idea how that would impact him if he knew I was an atheist. I will need to use my words wisely should he ask me that question. I won't lie to him, though.
    Just don't get divorced!

  4. #94
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I see where you're coming from, although I disagree that if we felt that such agreement was necessary we shouldn't have children. I really enjoyed the alone time I had when I would go to church. I didn't like going to church with others. I liked going by myself where I could be alone with my thoughts. No distractions. Had I pushed raising any child under both religions, I think my husband would have been okay with it. But I saw this as an opportunity to have something to myself. If I can only truly connect with my child through religion, something is terribly wrong.
    Oh dear, no, I don't mean to say that religion is the only way to connect with a child. In fact, I am not at all sure that I am saying that 'connecting' is the main point. What I am saying is that religion may be or can become a major part of a person's life. If you can't share your religion with your loved ones, it is a wedge. Even if you're not religious now, you might become so in the future. Such an agreement forecloses on a part of your relationship with your children.


    Did I miss something? Did you write a book?
    LOL. Yes, but only in my mind

  5. #95
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

    So I got explained to me, by a few folks, that raising the daughter in the Jewish religion, because the Father was Jewish when they were married and had the child, is incorrect. That the girl should be raised in both religions, or that the court system should butt-out.

    I have been once divorced. Trust me, the courts never butt-out until your youngest child turns 18.

    They should have had 2 children IMO. One for each religion.

    If the Father had converted to the Muslim faith, would I be hearing the same diatribe for the courts staying out of their affairs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    What's your opinion? Here's the story:

    Divorce Battle: Joseph Reyes Pleads Not Guilty For Taking Daughter to Church - ABC News

    The parents are getting divorced and the wife is Jewish, the husband Catholic. The mother wants the child raised Jewish, the husband, not previously devout, got the little girl baptized, the mother got a restraining order, yada yada...
    This court order is illegal because it violates the 1st Amendment of the United States Consitution. The judge who signed that order needs to be disbarred.

  7. #97
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

    yeah - see - I'm all for the parent's option to grow the hell up and stop expecting the courts to act as a therapist, mediator and nanny to their child.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #98
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    This court order is illegal because it violates the 1st Amendment of the United States Consitution. The judge who signed that order needs to be disbarred.
    That's an interesting argument, but hardly a slam dunk.

    And let's not get all excited - faulty decisions end up getting overturned on appeal, not disbarred judges.
    Last edited by misterman; 04-28-10 at 09:45 AM.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    Irony! Settled by a Jewish judge
    And that is a serious conflict of interest. The judge issued an order that violates the United States Constitution; as such, that judge needs to be disbarred.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should a divorce court be able to forbid one parent to take a child to church?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    That's an interesting argument, but hardly a slam dunk.

    And let's not get all excited - faulty decisions end up getting overturned on appeal, not disbarred judges.
    The fact that the judge is jewish says alot. The fact that the judge set an order that is completely illegal per the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution says even more.

    This is beyond normal incompetence. That judge has proven his judgement is skewed. At the very least he needs to be removed from the bench.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •