View Poll Results: Dictionaries do NOT contain factual information

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • TRUE: Dictionaries do NOT contain factual information

    7 18.42%
  • FALSE: Sure they do.

    31 81.58%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 76

Thread: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

  1. #51
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    How is that bad logic?
    Fallacy: Composition

    In this case, just because something is "human" doesn't mean it is "a human."

  2. #52
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Saying (claiming) that a human fetus is human therefore a human fetus is A human is not circular logic by any of the examples given here.
    Actually, it is the way you just stated it. But that's not even the argument in question. Which means you just committed a straw man too. The fallacies keep piling up.

    The argument is actually that "a human fetus is human, and therefore it's a human, i.e. a person." I agree that's not circular logic. It's the fallacy of composition. My hair is human hair, but it's not a human person either.
    Last edited by misterman; 04-25-10 at 01:07 PM.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Fallacy: Composition

    In this case, just because something is "human" doesn't mean it is "a human."
    Exactly. You could see a pile of crap on the floor and say, "Wow, that appears to be human feces."
    You're not saying that the pile of crap is "a human".

  4. #54
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Exactly. You could see a pile of crap on the floor and say, "Wow, that appears to be human feces."
    You're not saying that the pile of crap is "a human".
    Well, I thought that too until I met a few posters on this forum.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    rolleyes Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    How did this thread get derailed into an abortion / personhood debate?

    Stay focused people.

    THIS thread / poll is about whether or not dictionaries contain 'factual' information.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    How did this thread get derailed into an abortion / personhood debate?

    Stay focused people.

    THIS thread / poll is about whether or not dictionaries contain 'factual' information.
    Something being factual does not mean it is being used in proper context. Which is the point all the threads you've made in the Polls section seem to miss.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    joke Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Something being factual does not mean it is being used in proper context. Which is the point all the threads you've made in the Polls section seem to miss.
    Baseless assertion noted.

    You have not provided any evidence to support this claim of yours.

    That said,...

    If you would like for me to explain the context of any point I have tried to make, I'll be happy to do so.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Baseless assertion noted.

    You have not provided any evidence to support this claim of yours.

    That said,...

    If you would like for me to explain the context of any point I have tried to make, I'll be happy to do so.

    noted................
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Baseless assertion noted.

    You have not provided any evidence to support this claim of yours.

    That said,...
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/conspi...and-birth.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...rue-false.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...-organism.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/abortion/65635-proof.html

    Want to try this again?

    If you would like for me to explain the context of any point I have tried to make, I'll be happy to do so.
    No time for your word games tonight.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #60
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Dictionaries often reflect factual information that a society possesses, so in that sense they "contain" facts.

    But, their purpose is not to establish what is factual. Therefore, if a dispute arises as to a potential fact contained in a dictionary, said dictionary is NOT an authority on facts. It cannot be used to establish facts, in other words. In that sense they don't contain factual information, but a better way to state the same thing would be to simply say "Dictionaries are not authorities on facts".

    So, if you're looking to Dictionaries as authorities as to what is factual, you are going to be seriously misled.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •