View Poll Results: Dictionaries do NOT contain factual information

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • TRUE: Dictionaries do NOT contain factual information

    7 18.42%
  • FALSE: Sure they do.

    31 81.58%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76

Thread: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

  1. #41
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    However if you are going to claim what something means then a dictionary is the perfect source.
    Well, not always. Not when discussing legal terms, for instance. And certainly not when you're trying to use words in place of logical arguments, such as "a fetus is human, therefore a fetus is a human." Bad, bad logic.

  2. #42
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Well, not always. Not when discussing legal terms, for instance. And certainly not when you're trying to use words in place of logical arguments, such as "a fetus is human, therefore a fetus is a human." Bad, bad logic.
    How is that bad logic?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    How is that bad logic?
    Circular reasoning logical fallacy.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #44
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,529

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    The only reason I can think of why anyone would argue with a dictionary is that they like to make up definitions for words as they go along.

    That's what the dictionary says 'liberal" means?



    No, no, that's wrong. Liberal means anyone who disagrees with my point of view.

    Obama is a Marxist, I tell you,.. what's that? That's what the dictionary says? Well, the dictionary is wrong, I tell you, wrong!
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    fyi Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Well, not always. Not when discussing legal terms, for instance. And certainly not when you're trying to use words in place of logical arguments, such as "a fetus is human, therefore a fetus is a human." Bad, bad logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    How is that bad logic?
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Circular reasoning logical fallacy.
    Circular reasoning (aka begging the question)

    Examples of Begging the Question

    1. Bill: "God must exist."
      Jill: "How do you know."
      Bill: "Because the Bible says so."
      Jill: "Why should I believe the Bible?"
      Bill: "Because the Bible was written by God."
    2. "If such actions were not illegal, then they would not be prohibited by the law."
    3. "The belief in God is universal. After all, everyone believes in God."
    4. Interviewer: "Your resume looks impressive but I need another reference."
      Bill: "Jill can give me a good reference."
      Interviewer: "Good. But how do I know that Jill is trustworthy?"
      Bill: "Certainly. I can vouch for her."


    Saying (claiming) that a human fetus is human therefore a human fetus is A human is not circular logic by any of the examples given here.

    "a (human)fetus is human, therefore a (human) fetus is a human." is a statement of biological fact precisely because a fetus is an organism in of and unto itself.
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 04-24-10 at 09:57 PM.

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Circular reasoning (aka begging the question)

    Examples of Begging the Question

    1. Bill: "God must exist."
      Jill: "How do you know."
      Bill: "Because the Bible says so."
      Jill: "Why should I believe the Bible?"
      Bill: "Because the Bible was written by God."
    2. "If such actions were not illegal, then they would not be prohibited by the law."
    3. "The belief in God is universal. After all, everyone believes in God."
    4. Interviewer: "Your resume looks impressive but I need another reference."
      Bill: "Jill can give me a good reference."
      Interviewer: "Good. But how do I know that Jill is trustworthy?"
      Bill: "Certainly. I can vouch for her."



    Saying (claiming) that a human fetus is human therefore a human fetus is A human is not circular logic by any of the examples given here.

    "a (human)fetus is human, therefore a (human) fetus is a human." is a statement of biological fact precisely because a fetus is an organism in of and unto itself.
    Misread the comment. I thought it said a fetus is human, therefore a fetus is human. From the correct reading of the comment, it is logical.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #47
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Civility a must??

    An effective ban should also be a must!
    lol... thats been my title for like a year now... he was just mocking me.

    and got a thanks.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Using definitions to prove abortion is not murder somehow different than using definitions to prove a fetus is a baby or child? In other words how you going wine about someone using a dictionary to prove their position when you do the same thing?
    Did you read my post? Here I'll explain it in simpler terms:

    1. You say 'abortion is murder'

    I explain to you the difference between 'abortion' and 'murder' and thus why they are not the same within the context of our laws.

    2. You say 'abortion is murder' again

    You proceed to explain this by picking out whichever definitions of a dictionary - Merriam-Webster's in Chuz's case - best fit your agenda without much care for - gasp - CONTEXT.

    Do you not get this yet? You're taking words from different contexts to mean the same thing when they clearly don't. I am placing them within the same context (you know - their legal definition?) and explaining why they are not the same. Example, you say - 'Woman-X is a free bird' - I say 'Woman-X is free spirited' - While both bird and free spirited could be interpreted under some definitions of the dictionary to be the same thing, A WOMAN IS NOT A ****ING BIRD AT THE END OF THE DAY.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 04-25-10 at 07:45 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #49
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    I challenge anyone to prove a dictionary wrong.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #50
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Dictionaries no NOT contain factual information

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I challenge anyone to prove a dictionary wrong.
    This is a pointless challenge within the scope of the discussion here, since it presumes a dictionary is factual in order to work. If the dictionary isn't factual, you can't prove it either right OR wrong.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •