View Poll Results: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is for the common good.

    14 22.22%
  • Warning labels and a public awareness campaign should be enough

    12 19.05%
  • Government managed healthcare gives them a vested interest in this

    1 1.59%
  • Processed food is so darned salty, I won't protest

    3 4.76%
  • As long as it's legal for folks to add more salt, I'm okay with it

    5 7.94%
  • The government is trying to micromanage our lives! No, this is ridiculous!

    22 34.92%
  • Other, please explain

    6 9.52%
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 198

Thread: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

  1. #71
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    The insurance industry has been big on preventative measures and the re reduction of Sodium is indeed an important part of it. Yes the government should not command anything except that the food be labled for all content so that the consumer can make an edicated choice.

    This kind of crap can really be sent into orbit. Remember there was a lable on birth control spemacide jel that said " not to be eaten" - hmm well don't take that any further !!
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  2. #72
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Every packaged food item has a label that shows the ingredients and the % daily value of key nutrients, including sodium. The information is there.
    And why do they have those things?

    Because there is regulation.

    Oh, and next time you want to make the accusation of hyperbole and ridiculous analogies, perhaps a little education would be in order:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/dining/05well.html

    Yet it is deliberately being added to chicken in this country, with many scientists saying it is unnecessary.
    Unlike both salt an arsenic, dog feces cannot poison someone if it is sterilized. Salt and arsenic are poisonous at certain levels. Teh reason why most people don't die from salt poisoning is because the taste is unpalatable (perhaps like dog feces).

    this is why I chose baby formula in the feces example. Babies are fussy anyway. People wouldn't assume they are being fussy because they are being poisoned by teh absurdly high salt content that can occur if "companies have a right to put as much salt into their product as they want to."

    I chose arsenic because it is being added to food right now, in the US.




    You say hyperbole and ridiculous analogies aren't my friend, and that's true. It's also why my choices were actually based on solid reasoning and knowledge of the facts.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 04-21-10 at 08:42 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #73
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    While I applaud the action of lowering salt content, my concern is that companies will use even worse and a higher amount of unnatural preservatives in their food products.

    I say its best just to make stuff from scratch.

  4. #74
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    While I applaud the action of lowering salt content, my concern is that companies will use even worse and a higher amount of unnatural preservatives in their food products.

    I say its best just to make stuff from scratch.
    Indeed, and that's a great rule to follow. Eat anything you want, as long as you make it from scratch. Ever made homemade potato chips? Big ole pain in the ass for not a lot of chips.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  5. #75
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,283

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    And why do they have those things?

    Because there is regulation.

    Which I don't oppose. Next?
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    No - to warning labels in general, we have far too much of this waste.
    Yes - to good comprehensive education, change will take time.

  7. #77
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    No - to warning labels in general, we have far too much of this waste.
    Yes - to good comprehensive education, change will take time.
    There's not one mentally competent adult in the entire United States that isn't already aware salt is bad in excess.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  8. #78
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Serious question. Is there any aspect of our daily lives that you think the government should not establish regulations for in the interest of lowering potential medical costs?
    Sure. Where the deaths caused are minor compared to the cost. As RightInNYC posted in January, salt related diseases kill more people then being uninsured. When it gets that large, there's a problem. IMO, things like regulating cribs and baby carriers is total crap considering a handful of kids die in those. Small number of deaths is not a reason for government to come in and regulate.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #79
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    How much salt did you eat yesterday?

    You don't know? I thought you were all about taking care of yourself.
    Today 1300 mg
    Yesterday 2196 mg
    Monday 1987 mg
    Sunday 1370 mg

    I could keep going...

    I mean, I know you weren't asking me and all, but what exactly WAS your point?

  10. #80
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    And why do they have those things?

    Because there is regulation.

    Oh, and next time you want to make the accusation of hyperbole and ridiculous analogies, perhaps a little education would be in order:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/dining/05well.html



    Unlike both salt an arsenic, dog feces cannot poison someone if it is sterilized. Salt and arsenic are poisonous at certain levels. Teh reason why most people don't die from salt poisoning is because the taste is unpalatable (perhaps like dog feces).

    this is why I chose baby formula in the feces example. Babies are fussy anyway. People wouldn't assume they are being fussy because they are being poisoned by teh absurdly high salt content that can occur if "companies have a right to put as much salt into their product as they want to."

    I chose arsenic because it is being added to food right now, in the US.




    You say hyperbole and ridiculous analogies aren't my friend, and that's true. It's also why my choices were actually based on solid reasoning and knowledge of the facts.
    So, the entity that knowingly allows arsenic to be put into food without putting it on a food label is the very entity that you are here arguing should be mandating how much SALT is put into foods?

    The only thing that needs to be mandated is the labeling. Anything else is unnecessary and excessive. But apparently the govt can't even get the labeling issue right.

    All you've done is prove yet again why I should continue to have little faith in govt regulation.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •