View Poll Results: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is for the common good.

    14 22.22%
  • Warning labels and a public awareness campaign should be enough

    12 19.05%
  • Government managed healthcare gives them a vested interest in this

    1 1.59%
  • Processed food is so darned salty, I won't protest

    3 4.76%
  • As long as it's legal for folks to add more salt, I'm okay with it

    5 7.94%
  • The government is trying to micromanage our lives! No, this is ridiculous!

    22 34.92%
  • Other, please explain

    6 9.52%
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 198

Thread: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

  1. #181
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Yes, that's what you really said.
    No it isn't, which is why you need to brush up on reading comprehension.


    The first step is to make an effort to understand what you are reading instead of inventing completely different meanings and steadfastly adhering to theses inventions.

    It makes as much sense.
    If you put no effort into understanding, you will never achieve understanding.

    Do people have a right to freedom of religion, but also a right to live where there are no Muslims or Jews too? Or freedom of the press, but also a right to live in a place where they don't have to see other people reading stuff they don't like?
    Yes, they have that right. And they can exercise said right by moving to a region where these people aren't present. It's not like every neighborhood has a mandatory Muslim or Jew or guy reading certain books.

    If someone they don't like moves next door, they merely have to move again to exercise their right.

    Are you in favor of banning people's right to move into the neighborhood of their choosing? Do you not believe it is the right of a person to move to a place of their choosing?

    Hmmm. How exactly does one have a right to something and also a right to live where nobody can get it at the same time?
    It's about choice. It is impossible to prevent a woman from exercising her right to abort her child. She will always be free to use a coat hanger in her own home. That's why abortion is a right.

    If it could not be self-administered (and I don't give a rat's ass about safety, there is no right to have an abortion safely) it would not be a right.

    What isn't a right is legal access to a service-provider for abortions.

    This is why your argument is a strawman. You mistakenly believe that my statement that a woman has the right to an abortion extends beyond the simple right to abort the fetus and into the right to have a service provided at cost.

    Not all rights are freely exercised.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #182
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    A food manufacturer isn't going to sell something as immediately dangerous as arsenic in their food
    The only problem with that is that they actually do sell food that has arsenic added, albeit indirectly.

    However, it is still up to the consumer to have reasonable knowledge of what they're buying. The amount of salt per serving, serving sizes, and how the amount makes up daily recommended intake are all on the container. I would consider that within the realm of reasonable knowledge.
    I agree. That's perfectly reasonable
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 04-22-10 at 04:48 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #183
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Right. But sometimes it does. That's the whole basis of civil society - some things you are free to do despite their effect on others, some you're not.
    And I don't consider what I eat to be any of your business. Yes, it could raise the costs in the future slightly. However, I see this as a reason to privatize more care instead of using some control of my life as an excuse to control more.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #184
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    No it isn't, which is why you need to brush up on reading comprehension.


    The first step is to make an effort to understand what you are reading instead of inventing completely different meanings and steadfastly adhering to theses inventions.



    If you put no effort into understanding, you will never achieve understanding.



    Yes, they have that right. And they can exercise said right by moving to a region where these people aren't present. It's not like every neighborhood has a mandatory Muslim or Jew or guy reading certain books.

    If someone they don't like moves next door, they merely have to move again to exercise their right.

    Are you in favor of banning people's right to move into the neighborhood of their choosing? Do you not believe it is the right of a person to move to a place of their choosing?



    It's about choice. It is impossible to prevent a woman from exercising her right to abort her child. She will always be free to use a coat hanger in her own home. That's why abortion is a right.

    If it could not be self-administered (and I don't give a rat's ass about safety, there is no right to have an abortion safely) it would not be a right.

    What isn't a right is legal access to a service-provider for abortions.

    This is why your argument is a strawman. You mistakenly believe that my statement that a woman has the right to an abortion extends beyond the simple right to abort the fetus and into the right to have a service provided at cost.

    Not all rights are freely exercised.
    I just can't respond without laughing. I'm sorry, but it's clear this is going to be hopeless.

  5. #185
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    And I don't consider what I eat to be any of your business. Yes, it could raise the costs in the future slightly. However, I see this as a reason to privatize more care instead of using some control of my life as an excuse to control more.
    And that's fine.

    As long as you acknowledge that there are cases where it is the business of government to regulate things, and you stay consistent.

    So do you think the government should stop all regulation of food, including screening for deadly diseases?

  6. #186
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    And that's fine.

    As long as you acknowledge that there are cases where it is the business of government to regulate things, and you stay consistent.

    So do you think the government should stop all regulation of food, including screening for deadly diseases?
    If something is a clear and present danger like significant amounts of cyanide in the food maybe. Something like salt, no.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  7. #187
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I just can't respond without laughing. I'm sorry, but it's clear this is going to be hopeless.
    That's unfortunate.

    I would give up too if any potential response I could give were so asinine that even I couldn't help but laugh at their stupidity.

    Would you be willing to respond if I promised not to laugh at you for it?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #188
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    If something is a clear and present danger like significant amounts of cyanide in the food maybe. Something like salt, no.
    So it's a matter of how fast you die?

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It's about choice. It is impossible to prevent a woman from exercising her right to abort her child. She will always be free to use a coat hanger in her own home. That's why abortion is a right.
    So you're saying since it's impossible to stop someone from killing an absolute stranger that murder is a right.

    You've a nice touch at refusing to use logic.

  10. #190
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    So you're saying since it's impossible to stop someone from killing an absolute stranger that murder is a right.
    Yes. It is a right. It's one we as a society have decided is not an inalienable one.

    Society decides to alienate or not alienate rights. That doesn't change the fact that they exist.

    You've a nice touch at refusing to use logic.
    I finfd it odd that the same people who prove time and time again that they are utterly incapable of using logic without relying almost entirely on fallacies are the only one's who say that about my logic.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •