View Poll Results: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is for the common good.

    14 22.22%
  • Warning labels and a public awareness campaign should be enough

    12 19.05%
  • Government managed healthcare gives them a vested interest in this

    1 1.59%
  • Processed food is so darned salty, I won't protest

    3 4.76%
  • As long as it's legal for folks to add more salt, I'm okay with it

    5 7.94%
  • The government is trying to micromanage our lives! No, this is ridiculous!

    22 34.92%
  • Other, please explain

    6 9.52%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 198

Thread: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

  1. #171
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Why don't you answer first - you never answered this question when I posed it to you weeks ago.
    You'd just say I wasn't telling the truth, so why bother.

  2. #172
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Every woman has a right to an abortion. I'll even spring for the coat hanger.

    They just don't have the right to have one performed by a doctor in any state they want.

    The problem is that people also have the right to live in a region that bans abortion, especially if they feel it is murder.
    So people have a right to an abortion but also the right not to an abortion. Or something like that.

    You need to brush up on your logic.

  3. #173
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Again, just checking.

    So you don't think women have a right to abortion?

    So far, your ideal world is full of salt and Pepsi and drugs, but sometimes you have to drive 1,000 miles for an abortion.
    Okay, it's not an abortion thread and this is going to take it way OT. I'll be brief, in light of that.

    I am without a doubt 100% pro-choice.

    I am also, without a doubt, 100% in favor of limiting federal power in favor of state.

  4. #174
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    So people have a right to an abortion but also the right not to an abortion. Or something like that.

    You need to brush up on your logic.
    You need to brush up on your reading comprehension, first, seeing as I never said anything remotely close to "right not to an abortion".

    That's not something like "People have a right to live in a region that doesn't allow abortions".

    Nor is it something like "People don't have a right to an abortion performed by a doctor".

    By the way, it is ironic that you used a logical fallacy (the strawman) to claim I need to brush up on my logic skills.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #175
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You'd just say I wasn't telling the truth, so why bother.


    Wonder why you have no credibility? Wonder no longer.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #176
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You need to brush up on your reading comprehension, first, seeing as I never said anything remotely close to "right not to an abortion".

    That's not something like "People have a right to live in a region that doesn't allow abortions".
    Yes, that's what you really said.

    It makes as much sense.

    Do people have a right to freedom of religion, but also a right to live where there are no Muslims or Jews too? Or freedom of the press, but also a right to live in a place where they don't have to see other people reading stuff they don't like?

    By the way, it is ironic that you used a logical fallacy (the strawman) to claim I need to brush up on my logic skills.
    Hmmm. How exactly does one have a right to something and also a right to live where nobody can get it at the same time?

  7. #177
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post


    Wonder why you have no credibility? Wonder no longer.
    See? As predicted. Bye.

  8. #178
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Just curious, does the same logic apply to arsenic? Do the companies "have a right to put as much arsenic into their product as they want to." Or a can baby formula company put as much dog feces into its product as it wants to without telling anyone?

    I see no problem with regulatory oversight.

    I just disagree with intrastate trade being regulated by the Feds. Interstate trade is all theirs.
    If it's properly labled then yes. A food manufacturer isn't going to sell something as immediately dangerous as arsenic in their food, but I do see your point. However, it is still up to the consumer to have reasonable knowledge of what they're buying. The amount of salt per serving, serving sizes, and how the amount makes up daily recommended intake are all on the container. I would consider that within the realm of reasonable knowledge.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  9. #179
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Should we have no speed limits at all, or no regulation of alcohol though?
    Well speed limits are another argument, but yes, we do have be reasonable. The point of my post is that just because something another person does can affect you, that doesn't give you the right to control them.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  10. #180
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should the Federal Government push food processors into lowering salt content?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Well speed limits are another argument, but yes, we do have be reasonable. The point of my post is that just because something another person does can affect you, that doesn't give you the right to control them.
    Right. But sometimes it does. That's the whole basis of civil society - some things you are free to do despite their effect on others, some you're not.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •