View Poll Results: Constellation or Climate research?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Constellation

    18 60.00%
  • Climate research

    12 40.00%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 68

Thread: Constellation or Climate Research?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    OK, that is where my analogy breaks down. A train hitting a car is a pretty negative thing, particularly with people inside it.

    On the other hand, if the car is a junker and the people do get out, then it isn't so bad.

    We don't know whether global climate change will be a disaster. It may be in some places, may actually help others. The problem is, we really don't know.

    It would be better if we would find out what is coming and quit arguing over what is already known, but, of course, we won't.
    What is there to figure out? Also, "anything could happen" is not a rational basis for policy.

    I mean, a meteorite COULD come blazing through your roof and into your skull, we just don't know!!! Methinks your roof needs some lead plating in order to preempt such an eventuality. Just give me $10,000 and I'll make sure this disaster never befalls you!

    So, it really doesn't matter. Global climate change is real, that much is established.
    Define "global climate change" and explain why we should care.

    It is likely that human activities are accelerating it, that much is established.
    Your language suggests that you are a scientific layperson. Something that is "established" as being "likely" means absolutely nothing. Moreover, no such thing has been established; I defy you to prove otherwise.

    It is going to have some negative impacts in come places, that much is also established.
    Yea, like those melting glaciers in the Himalayas!? That was also "established".

    Will it be a disaster? What will the effects be? Can we actually mitigate it? None of that is established. Were human beings wiser, we would put our energy into finding those things out, but, being foolish, we won't.

    So, what does it matter?
    You sound like the McDonald's kid..."It could happen!"

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I disagree. It is important to keep some humor in your life. And why shouldn't we try to clean up this planet before we go looking for others to inhabit and trash? And apparently the "warming zealots" aren't the only ones with an agenda.
    Where did I suggest we shouldn't clean up the planet, or that I was okay with trashing it and leaving it for dead!?

    Climate research is important, but I don't think that it should be NASA's major concern. Climate research is just as important as constellation research is, but it should be left up to NOAA and other organizations that are already concentrating on such research. I think NASA should be left to take care of research concerning space exploration and research from/in space.
    Explain to me what you hope to accomplish with "climate research" aside from pushing the regulatory agenda of a bunch of government goons and self-interested climatologists.

    Also, you didn't actually refute any of what I posted in that last paragraph.
    What is there to refute?

    I'm not sure what regulations are being proposed that would only be to reduce global warming, and not also help the environment in some other way. This is the point of the argument. I don't have a problem with slowly implementing legislation that would significantly harm the economy with very little positive impact to the environment. But if the legislation is not being backed, even when it can have a large amount of positive impact on the environment, just because people are afraid that the businesses affected will move out of the country, then it has more to do with greed. I do think it would be a good idea to give incentives to those who would "go green" rather than move their business to another country who doesn't enforce environmental standards, but that doesn't mean we should not have environmental standards or drop our standards to match other countries just because they might get the business. I also wouldn't have a problem with charging companies who do try to avoid environmental standards by moving out of our country fees/taxes/whatever for doing so.

    Personally, I would like to see all countries start agreeing on environmental standards. We all have to share this planet and its resources. And if one country royally messes it up, then we all have to deal with it.
    The argument is about regulating human CO2 emissions. All the other stuff is not at issue, at least, as far as I'm aware.

    There is no proof that human CO2 emissions are causing the Earth to warm, or that CO2 even acts the way the IPCC thinks it does, therefore, there is no reason at all to hand over regulatory authority to the Federal government or the United Nations, nor is there any reason to continue funding these charlatans who are obsessed with maintaining their reputations and furthering their eco-Nazi crusade.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    They discovered that the moon has a lot more water than we thought. Which can be used to make concrete.

  4. #44
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Where did I suggest we shouldn't clean up the planet, or that I was okay with trashing it and leaving it for dead!?



    Explain to me what you hope to accomplish with "climate research" aside from pushing the regulatory agenda of a bunch of government goons and self-interested climatologists.



    What is there to refute?



    The argument is about regulating human CO2 emissions. All the other stuff is not at issue, at least, as far as I'm aware.

    There is no proof that human CO2 emissions are causing the Earth to warm, or that CO2 even acts the way the IPCC thinks it does, therefore, there is no reason at all to hand over regulatory authority to the Federal government or the United Nations, nor is there any reason to continue funding these charlatans who are obsessed with maintaining their reputations and furthering their eco-Nazi crusade.
    Climate research is not just about CO2 emissions. Climate research is a far more encompassing science. I will get into this more later, I have to attend to a screaming baby.

    In fact, the OP actually did a bad comparison here. Constellation research is a more specific research than climate research, which is really a rather general research. Although it seems that most people are actually answering more from a view of the poll question comparing space research (a general research) to AGW research (a specific research). A better comparison poll would be comparing constellation research to AGW research itself or comparing space research in general to climate research in general. My original answer was based more on comparing the two general researches to each other.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    What is there to figure out? Also, "anything could happen" is not a rational basis for policy.

    I mean, a meteorite COULD come blazing through your roof and into your skull, we just don't know!!! Methinks your roof needs some lead plating in order to preempt such an eventuality. Just give me $10,000 and I'll make sure this disaster never befalls you!



    Define "global climate change" and explain why we should care.



    Your language suggests that you are a scientific layperson. Something that is "established" as being "likely" means absolutely nothing. Moreover, no such thing has been established; I defy you to prove otherwise.



    Yea, like those melting glaciers in the Himalayas!? That was also "established".



    You sound like the McDonald's kid..."It could happen!"
    I'm not sure why I try to post on these global warming threads. Nothing that comes back as a response seems to resemble in the slightest what I've actually posted.

    Carry on, then. Pretend that there is no climate change. Pretend that I've posted that climate change is an impending disaster, that we must take action now. Pretend that Limbaugh and Hannity are more credible than NASA and NOAA. pretend what you like. Please don't respond to my posts until you actually read them first.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #46
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I'm not sure why I try to post on these global warming threads. Nothing that comes back as a response seems to resemble in the slightest what I've actually posted.

    Carry on, then. Pretend that there is no climate change. Pretend that I've posted that climate change is an impending disaster, that we must take action now. Pretend that Limbaugh and Hannity are more credible than NASA and NOAA. pretend what you like. Please don't respond to my posts until you actually read them first.
    Oh my God, we're all going to die.

    The sky is falling.

    We're all going to drown.

    We'll all end up stewing in our own juices.

    We'll all die of thirst.

    There won't be any food.

    The ground under our feet will melt.

    Feel better now?
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Oh my God, we're all going to die.

    The sky is falling.

    We're all going to drown.

    We'll all end up stewing in our own juices.

    We'll all die of thirst.

    There won't be any food.

    The ground under our feet will melt.

    Feel better now?
    Those are all great examples of things I never did say.

    But, carry on. Straw men are really fun to knock down.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #48
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    But, carry on. Straw men are really fun to knock down.
    Indeed. For example:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Pretend that Limbaugh and Hannity are more credible than NASA and NOAA.

  9. #49
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

    Assuming anthropogenic global warming is a real problem,
    That's the problem, too much assuming about theoretical problems. For a change, let's try a reality check.

    The only things we can be sure of is what we detect with our eyes and how we interpret it with our own real experience. With that in mind, how would I, as a data processor with unlimited funds to work with, acquire all the data needed to establish a world wide average centigrade temperature?

    1. Standardize all temperature data devices with a tenth of a degree accuracy in cities all over the world, including both poles..

    2. Select a city where all the temperature data can be established at exactly the same time, same second, every day, keeping in mind that the 24 time differences will sometimes be day, night, and times between. .

    3. Stage 1. Average out all the Temperature data.

    4. Stage 2. Average out the temperature differences between all the cities, east, west, north, and south, near and far, and both poles.

    5. Stage 3, calculate plus or minus one tenth of a degree tolerances on each data collector.

    6. Conclusion... the accumulation of all the tenth of a degree tolerances could be average out, but that wouldn't result in a real average temperature, only an approximate one, and if human error is added, the result would be even more theoretical. So in the end all you'd have is a theoretical average temperature, not enough credible evidence to force us to change our life style.

    ricksfolly

  10. #50
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Those are all great examples of things I never did say.

    But, carry on. Straw men are really fun to knock down.
    Yes, your strawman was.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •