View Poll Results: Constellation or Climate research?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Constellation

    18 60.00%
  • Climate research

    12 40.00%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 68

Thread: Constellation or Climate Research?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Not necessarily AGW. My analogy only depends on the fact that the train is coming, not that the passengers of the car put it there, nor that they can stop it.

    The Earth has warmed over the past hundred years. That is a fact, not an opinion. It hasn't warmed much, but it doesn't take much of a rise in average temperatures to make a difference.

    Saying that global warming isn't happening is much like sitting in the car and plugging your ears. If you want to argue that it isn't anthropogenic, go right ahead. I think you're wrong, but it really doesn't matter. The train is coming. Let's get out of the way. We're not going to stop it anyway.
    Why do you automatically assume that the warming is going to result in a catastrophe!? Do you think this is the first time the planet has warmed to such an extent? Well, it's not! The Earth has been warmer in the past, and an increase of a hundredth of a degree every year over the past hundred years is not exactly what I'd call cause for concern.

    The most likely explanation is that the warming is just the result of some natural cycle, hence, it's nothing to poop your pants about.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    There are lots of climate research programs around the world... and NASA's is among the worst.

    In contrast, the Constellation Program is the best of its kind, if not the only one.

    It should do what it does best. And anyways, the decision to move funding to the climate program clearly was more political than scientific.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Yeah, similarly, space exploration is code word for: "I drive a hummer because I'm overcompensating, " or in other words: "when we've thoroughly exploited this planet for a short-term buck, we'll have a plan B."
    Space exploration is code for "space exploration". "Climate research" is code for "big fat bunch of politically tainted, big-headed climatologists who think they own science, along with a bunch of politicians who want regulatory power over the world."

    How much money and influence are people going to shove over to these jerks!? Climatologists aren't the only damn scientists out there, you know, and a consensus does not a theory prove; and don't get me started on politicians!!!

  4. #34
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Why do you automatically assume that the warming is going to result in a catastrophe!? Do you think this is the first time the planet has warmed to such an extent? Well, it's not! The Earth has been warmer in the past, and an increase of a hundredth of a degree every year over the past hundred years is not exactly what I'd call cause for concern.

    The most likely explanation is that the warming is just the result of some natural cycle, hence, it's nothing to poop your pants about.
    There have been hundreds of trains on the track. This is the first time our car has been stalled at the crossing, however.

    Sure, the Earth has warmed and cooled before. There weren't six billion human beings to experience it before.

    It will be a lot less of a disaster if we get out of the car, i.e., try to learn what is coming and be ready for it. Of course we won't do that, as it would be the logical thing to do, and human activities are hardly ever based on logic anyway. Witness the silly debate taking place currently, with people trying to deny global warming based on wishful thinking and the rantings of non scientists.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    There have been hundreds of trains on the track. This is the first time our car has been stalled at the crossing, however.

    Sure, the Earth has warmed and cooled before. There weren't six billion human beings to experience it before.

    It will be a lot less of a disaster if we get out of the car, i.e., try to learn what is coming and be ready for it. Of course we won't do that, as it would be the logical thing to do, and human activities are hardly ever based on logic anyway. Witness the silly debate taking place currently, with people trying to deny global warming based on wishful thinking and the rantings of non scientists.

    Witness people who are independent thinkers questioning the motivations, incentives and veracity of those who are attempting to use a dubious "Crisis" as an excuse to inflict major changes on the economy, government and international politics.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #36
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    I actually own the perfect babydoll tee for this. It says "PUT THE EARTH FIRST, We can screw up the other planets later." I wore it the other day and my husband loved it.

    Anyway, my personal belief is that we should be putting money into studying the environment and going into space. I think there are practical points to doing both. I would say our environment though is more important than going into space, at the moment anyway.

    As for global warming, I don't care if we, as humans are affecting global warming or not, because truthfully it doesn't really matter. Most efforts to reduce the impact humans have on their environment have many positives to them. Reduce, reuse, recycle is good for reducing how much of the Earth's resources we are actually consuming. This should be a matter of efficiency. Reducing how much pollution is going into the atmosphere means cleaner air. Reducing how much pollution goes into the water means cleaner water and a healthier marine life cycle, which means more fish in the sea and healthier marine plant life providing oxygen. Reducing land pollution means more places for us to live and is better for the food we eat and the water that is under the land or has runoff from the land come into it. The only arguments I've ever heard against going green have to deal with "it will affect the economy" (which sounds really greedy to me) or "I"m too lazy to care". Now even if it will happen eventually naturally, I don't see why we can't work to make the environment better for ourselves and our children while we are here.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    There have been hundreds of trains on the track. This is the first time our car has been stalled at the crossing, however.

    Sure, the Earth has warmed and cooled before. There weren't six billion human beings to experience it before.

    It will be a lot less of a disaster if we get out of the car, i.e., try to learn what is coming and be ready for it. Of course we won't do that, as it would be the logical thing to do, and human activities are hardly ever based on logic anyway. Witness the silly debate taking place currently, with people trying to deny global warming based on wishful thinking and the rantings of non scientists.
    Once again, why do you automatically assume that a disaster is looming!? What are you basing this on, exactly?

    This is just mindless alarmism based upon nothing more than rank speculation and wild assumptions. You have no hard evidence or proof to back up your silly doomsday prophesy, so you just beg the question incessantly and paint a fantastical doomsday scenario; standard protocol for the warming zealots.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I actually own the perfect babydoll tee for this. It says "PUT THE EARTH FIRST, We can screw up the other planets later." I wore it the other day and my husband loved it.
    Utterly inappropriate, actually. "Climate research" has nothing to do with putting the Earth first; it's just a subterfuge for the warming zealots and their agenda to regulate everything in sight.

    Anyway, my personal belief is that we should be putting money into studying the environment and going into space. I think there are practical points to doing both. I would say our environment though is more important than going into space, at the moment anyway.

    As for global warming, I don't care if we, as humans are affecting global warming or not, because truthfully it doesn't really matter. Most efforts to reduce the impact humans have on their environment have many positives to them. Reduce, reuse, recycle is good for reducing how much of the Earth's resources we are actually consuming. This should be a matter of efficiency. Reducing how much pollution is going into the atmosphere means cleaner air. Reducing how much pollution goes into the water means cleaner water and a healthier marine life cycle, which means more fish in the sea and healthier marine plant life providing oxygen. Reducing land pollution means more places for us to live and is better for the food we eat and the water that is under the land or has runoff from the land come into it. The only arguments I've ever heard against going green have to deal with "it will affect the economy" (which sounds really greedy to me) or "I"m too lazy to care". Now even if it will happen eventually naturally, I don't see why we can't work to make the environment better for ourselves and our children while we are here.
    NASA's space program has done more to benefit mankind and the environment than "climate research" ever has.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Once again, why do you automatically assume that a disaster is looming!? What are you basing this on, exactly?

    This is just mindless alarmism based upon nothing more than rank speculation and wild assumptions. You have no hard evidence or proof to back up your silly doomsday prophesy, so you just beg the question incessantly and paint a fantastical doomsday scenario; standard protocol for the warming zealots.
    OK, that is where my analogy breaks down. A train hitting a car is a pretty negative thing, particularly with people inside it.

    On the other hand, if the car is a junker and the people do get out, then it isn't so bad.

    We don't know whether global climate change will be a disaster. It may be in some places, may actually help others. The problem is, we really don't know.

    It would be better if we would find out what is coming and quit arguing over what is already known, but, of course, we won't.

    So, it really doesn't matter. Global climate change is real, that much is established. It is likely that human activities are accelerating it, that much is established. It is going to have some negative impacts in come places, that much is also established. Will it be a disaster? What will the effects be? Can we actually mitigate it? None of that is established. Were human beings wiser, we would put our energy into finding those things out, but, being foolish, we won't.

    So, what does it matter?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #40
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Constellation or Climate Research?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Utterly inappropriate, actually. "Climate research" has nothing to do with putting the Earth first; it's just a subterfuge for the warming zealots and their agenda to regulate everything in sight.



    NASA's space program has done more to benefit mankind and the environment than "climate research" ever has.
    I disagree. It is important to keep some humor in your life. And why shouldn't we try to clean up this planet before we go looking for others to inhabit and trash? And apparently the "warming zealots" aren't the only ones with an agenda.

    Climate research is important, but I don't think that it should be NASA's major concern. Climate research is just as important as constellation research is, but it should be left up to NOAA and other organizations that are already concentrating on such research. I think NASA should be left to take care of research concerning space exploration and research from/in space.

    Also, you didn't actually refute any of what I posted in that last paragraph. I'm not sure what regulations are being proposed that would only be to reduce global warming, and not also help the environment in some other way. This is the point of the argument. I don't have a problem with slowly implementing legislation that would significantly harm the economy with very little positive impact to the environment. But if the legislation is not being backed, even when it can have a large amount of positive impact on the environment, just because people are afraid that the businesses affected will move out of the country, then it has more to do with greed. I do think it would be a good idea to give incentives to those who would "go green" rather than move their business to another country who doesn't enforce environmental standards, but that doesn't mean we should not have environmental standards or drop our standards to match other countries just because they might get the business. I also wouldn't have a problem with charging companies who do try to avoid environmental standards by moving out of our country fees/taxes/whatever for doing so.

    Personally, I would like to see all countries start agreeing on environmental standards. We all have to share this planet and its resources. And if one country royally messes it up, then we all have to deal with it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •