View Poll Results: Should ALL citizens have to pay income taxes?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, only those who make over the "living wage"

    28 31.11%
  • No, only those in the top 10%

    5 5.56%
  • Yes, every working person should have to pay.

    38 42.22%
  • Other (specify)

    19 21.11%
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 236

Thread: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,951

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanitas View Post
    You are looking at the wrong line. The top line is the amount of people in poverty. It is the same amount as in 1960. That's actually good all things considered, since we had nearly 125 million more people in 2008.

    You should instead focus on the bottom line, the percentage of people in the USA in poverty.
    I was looking at the bottom line. My reference to 1975 and 2007 was regarding the bottom line.

  2. #72
    Advisor Sanitas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The world.
    Last Seen
    03-05-12 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I was looking at the bottom line. My reference to 1975 and 2007 was regarding the bottom line.
    Oh, I see. I apologize.

    Well, food stamps was introduced in the 1960s, I believe. This was around the time of the Great Society legislation aimed at curtailing poverty, improving social welfare among other things. Other pushes in that decade were the Social Security act, Medicade, etc.

    You can easily see the reduction in that decade. Since then it hasn't necessarily fluctuated too much in terms of ups and downs, but what other poverty reducing programs have we enacted besides actually lowering the income tax (under several presidencies)?
    "All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language...No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." - John Donne

  3. #73
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Because it would not even remotely fund the responsibilities we have placed in the public sector. You can't invent some fantasy tax rate that sounds fair to you and it magically generate enough money.
    translation

    the net taxpayers have an unlimited duty to keep paying more and more as long as democrat politicians continue to buy the votes of democrat minions by promising them more and more goodies that "others" will have to fund



  4. #74
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,494

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    The money we make from our sources of unearned income sure isn't disposable.

    It isn't only the filthy rich that have sources of unearned income.
    If it is not an earned income, as I said I have no problem with it being taxed. If the money is being invested to gain interest, it is disposable whether in actuality it is or it is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #75
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    If it is not an earned income, as I said I have no problem with it being taxed. If the money is being invested to gain interest, it is disposable whether in actuality it is or it is not.
    I just heard on the local news that the top 1% of taxpayers (around 375K a year or so) pay as much in income taxes as the bottom 95%

    they don't make as much income as the bottom 95%

    and they certainly don't use anywhere near as much government services as the top 1%


    Atlas needs to shrug suddenly and soon



  6. #76
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,494

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I just heard on the local news that the top 1% of taxpayers (around 375K a year or so) pay as much in income taxes as the bottom 95%

    they don't make as much income as the bottom 95%

    and they certainly don't use anywhere near as much government services as the top 1%


    Atlas needs to shrug suddenly and soon
    And this has something to do with my statement on earned vs. unearned income income? How?
    Last edited by Black Dog; 04-15-10 at 11:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    How do you figure?
    Scratch that, I was talking out of my ass. I'm sober now

  8. #78
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    And this has something to do with my statement on earned vs. unearned income income? How?
    I was just adding to the conversation. I shouldn't have quoted you

    my bad but with the clinton tax hikes reimposed on dividend income the top 1% will be paying as much as the bottom 97% probably



  9. #79
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,494

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I was just adding to the conversation. I shouldn't have quoted you

    my bad but with the clinton tax hikes reimposed on dividend income the top 1% will be paying as much as the bottom 97% probably
    Ahhh OK, I got ya. I did not think it applied, so I was confused!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #80
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Scratch that, I was talking out of my ass. I'm sober now
    This happens to me a lot
    ~Following My Own Flow~

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •