View Poll Results: Should ALL citizens have to pay income taxes?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, only those who make over the "living wage"

    28 31.11%
  • No, only those in the top 10%

    5 5.56%
  • Yes, every working person should have to pay.

    38 42.22%
  • Other (specify)

    19 21.11%
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 236

Thread: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

  1. #171
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Hell, if we could fix Medicare and get out of various wars, we could easily drop highest marginal tax rates to 20%. Between Social Security, Medicare and the military, that's the Lion's share of spending. Bitching about pork is rather futile when a 5% increase in medicare spending blows those away.
    I don't disagree at all.

    The only real way to fix Medicare is to cut spending on it, I'm not holding my breath on that happening.
    We can afford to close some bases and cut some contractors as well.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #172
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    What is with people and their notion that income tax is the only tax that exists?

    Heard of a concept called payroll taxes?

    On a wealth base, only one group really is taking others for a ride. The group between the top 10% and top 5% is paying less on a proportional basis of wealth then everyone else.



    I wasn't aware that the only tax people pay to Washington is income tax. I wonder what this "payroll" tax I see deducted on my paycheck is since only income tax exists.
    It is the income tax that congress uses to pit groups of Americans against each other. It is the income tax that gets discussed in presidential elections.
    and I don't recall paying Payroll taxes-the employer does. If your contract says you make 90K a year what is taken from you in payroll taxes



  3. #173
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    It is the income tax that congress uses to pit groups of Americans against each other.
    So? You act like it's the only tax people pay. In terms of total federal liabilities, all but the named group are paying their proportional share compared to wealth.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #174
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    The claim that those who make more money had more help from "society" is complete and utter BS.

    That is like saying Tiger Woods or Roger Federer had more "help" from the PGA or ATP than did the guys in the middle of the PGA or ATP rankings.

    BTW Nothing psses me off more than people who don't make as much saying that those who do make say a million ought to pay 40% or more of their income because they can "afford it" and their lifestyle is still better than the parasites who want to jack up their taxes.


    That's more of that malignant "from each according to their ability" crap that is ruining this country.

    If you want the rich to have to pay far far more of the load than you, the rich should be given government sponsored privileges. My solution has always been more votes since someone who pays a million in taxes ought to have more say than someone living off of the public dole.
    Ok, either go back and actually read what I wrote and refute it with actual logic, or quit wasting my time because all you're doing now is ranting
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  5. #175
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Why the hell can we not tax everyone 10% of their income? Just a percentage which stays the same, across the board.
    Because to run even a small government it would have to be more than 10%.

  6. #176
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So? You act like it's the only tax people pay. In terms of total federal liabilities, all but the named group are paying their proportional share compared to wealth.
    you can evade all you want but the fact remains, Obama wants to jack up taxes on the group that already pays a disproportionate amount of the taxes--far more than their fair share. Wealth isn't the basis of taxation (once again) it is income.



  7. #177
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Ok, either go back and actually read what I wrote and refute it with actual logic, or quit wasting my time because all you're doing now is ranting
    since your time is so valuable why not do something other than participate on a chat board.

    Curious--why do you claim to be a moderate and have a socialist avatar?
    Last edited by TurtleDude; 04-18-10 at 09:54 PM.



  8. #178
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Because to run even a small government it would have to be more than 10%.
    really-was our government small in 1890 or 1900 or 1920?



  9. #179
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you can evade all you want but the fact remains, Obama wants to jack up taxes on the group that already pays a disproportionate amount of the taxes--far more than their fair share. Wealth isn't the basis of taxation (once again) it is income.
    What's "fair?"

  10. #180
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    really-was our government small in 1890 or 1900 or 1920?
    Uh, yes. Yes it was.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •