View Poll Results: Should ALL citizens have to pay income taxes?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, only those who make over the "living wage"

    28 31.11%
  • No, only those in the top 10%

    5 5.56%
  • Yes, every working person should have to pay.

    38 42.22%
  • Other (specify)

    19 21.11%
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 236

Thread: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

  1. #161
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Jealous much?
    Why do you assume that his opinion is based on jealousy?

  2. #162
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    If you'd like to pay me over 200k a year to see if I'll pay taxes with no complaint, you're more than welcome to do so.


    I don't make anything near 200k a year.

    IF I did, I'd probably beyotch about having to pay 45% or more of my income to Federal, State and local taxes, too.

    I could live with a flat tax as long as some universal deductions (say 20k a household) were allowed to keep the poor from being pushed underwater.

    I can live with progressive taxation, but the progression needs to be modest and the top end of all taxes combined should never exceed 30% for anyone. Anytime you start getting close to taking half of someone's income, you're penalizing success and discouraging enterpreneureal activity.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #163
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    LIbs think that the rich are rich because the government favors them.
    *sigh* everytime you generalize, you epically fail. This is a good example.

    As a liberal, I do not think that, ergo you are wrong.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. #164
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    *sigh* everytime you generalize, you epically fail. This is a good example.

    As a liberal, I do not think that, ergo you are wrong.
    The amusing thing is that Turtle is correct in that at least some of the rich are rich because the government favors them.

    The majority of tax credits, rebates and deductions plainly favor the rich. And the rich can afford high priced accountants (like me) to structure investments to take maximum advantage of them to reduce taxation to extremely low levels. Much of the tax code relating to business exists largely because at one time or another, some accountant or lawyer pushed the law to the limit to legally structure a transaction in an extremely abusive way. As the saying goes, the only thing scummier then a lawyer is an accountant!

    Mortgage is deductible. Rent is not. Who does that favor? Generally the rich.
    Who has the cash to hire accountants and lawyer to setup complex trusts? The rich.
    Who has the cash to hire accountants and lawyer to setup specialized limited partnerships to transfer wealth from parents to kids to completely eliminate estate tax? The rich.
    The whole notion of itemization favors the rich. One return I did this year had itemization deductions over $200k for a couple.
    Do the poor have section 1250 activity losses that pass as ordinary losses? No.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #165
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,548

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Why do you assume that his opinion is based on jealousy?
    40+ years of arguing with those who support parasitic tax policies



  6. #166
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,548

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    *sigh* everytime you generalize, you epically fail. This is a good example.

    As a liberal, I do not think that, ergo you are wrong.
    I would agree that as a liberal you probably do not think but rather feel



  7. #167
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,548

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    The amusing thing is that Turtle is correct in that at least some of the rich are rich because the government favors them.

    The majority of tax credits, rebates and deductions plainly favor the rich. And the rich can afford high priced accountants (like me) to structure investments to take maximum advantage of them to reduce taxation to extremely low levels. Much of the tax code relating to business exists largely because at one time or another, some accountant or lawyer pushed the law to the limit to legally structure a transaction in an extremely abusive way. As the saying goes, the only thing scummier then a lawyer is an accountant!

    Mortgage is deductible. Rent is not. Who does that favor? Generally the rich.
    Who has the cash to hire accountants and lawyer to setup complex trusts? The rich.
    Who has the cash to hire accountants and lawyer to setup specialized limited partnerships to transfer wealth from parents to kids to completely eliminate estate tax? The rich.
    The whole notion of itemization favors the rich. One return I did this year had itemization deductions over $200k for a couple.
    Do the poor have section 1250 activity losses that pass as ordinary losses? No.
    yet despite all of that the top 1% pay as much income tax as the bottom 95% and if you throw in the death confiscation tax, more. And the rich only make 22% of the income yet pay almost 40% of the income tax.

    So even with all those "advantages" the rich still pay far more of the income tax bill then their share of the income and they pay far more than what they get in return



  8. #168
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    yet despite all of that the top 1% pay as much income tax as the bottom 95% and if you throw in the death confiscation tax, more. And the rich only make 22% of the income yet pay almost 40% of the income tax.
    What is with people and their notion that income tax is the only tax that exists?

    Heard of a concept called payroll taxes?

    On a wealth base, only one group really is taking others for a ride. The group between the top 10% and top 5% is paying less on a proportional basis of wealth then everyone else.

    So even with all those "advantages" the rich still pay far more of the income tax bill then their share of the income and they pay far more than what they get in return
    I wasn't aware that the only tax people pay to Washington is income tax. I wonder what this "payroll" tax I see deducted on my paycheck is since only income tax exists.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #169
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I don't make anything near 200k a year.

    IF I did, I'd probably beyotch about having to pay 45% or more of my income to Federal, State and local taxes, too.

    I could live with a flat tax as long as some universal deductions (say 20k a household) were allowed to keep the poor from being pushed underwater.

    I can live with progressive taxation, but the progression needs to be modest and the top end of all taxes combined should never exceed 30% for anyone. Anytime you start getting close to taking half of someone's income, you're penalizing success and discouraging enterpreneureal activity.
    I think progressive taxation would be fine if 30% were the total top rate.
    It's hard to get others to agree to moderation with taxes.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #170
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should ALL citizens pay income taxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I think progressive taxation would be fine if 30% were the total top rate.
    It's hard to get others to agree to moderation with taxes.
    Hell, if we could fix Medicare and get out of various wars, we could easily drop highest marginal tax rates to 20%. Between Social Security, Medicare and the military, that's the Lion's share of spending. Bitching about pork is rather futile when a 5% increase in medicare spending blows those away.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •