View Poll Results: Is affirmative action necessary in today's society?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it bridges the disparity between minority and non-minority students and workers

    6 7.59%
  • Yes, it is important for the social welfare and diversity of the country

    6 7.59%
  • No, it encourages individuals to identify themselves as "disadvantaged"

    35 44.30%
  • No, it provides a basis for "reverse-discrimination"

    50 63.29%
  • No, it is devalues the accomplishments of both those who it benefits and those it does not

    45 56.96%
  • It is necessary for gender, but not race

    2 2.53%
  • It is necessary for race, but not gender

    1 1.27%
  • Other, please specify

    11 13.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 312

Thread: Affirmative Action

  1. #21
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    affirmative action programs are very much needed today
    but they should not base eligibility on the race of the participant
    as chief justice roberts noted,
    those who should receive special attention are those who are in poverty
    a disproportionate number of black and hispanic individuals will qualify to participate just as asians and whites will be eligible to participate, only in smaller proportions
    Ivy league schools as well as places like Williams, Amherst etc tended to see black as "disadvantaged". That is why my class at yale had lots of rich black kids who didn't do very well academically and very few poor white kids save for some athletic recruits



  2. #22
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,800

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I think affirmative action is curing the symptoms and not the disease. Work to combat the reasons why minorities historically have more problems getting into good schools/jobs instead.
    You can't do that because one of the biggest reasons minorities fail, at least poor minorities, is because they are mired in an inherently harmful "culture" that values failure and criticizes success. Arguing that they have to change their "culture" is going to be seen as racism by the minority hate-mongers.

    You really can't win.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #23
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You can't do that because one of the biggest reasons minorities fail, at least poor minorities, is because they are mired in an inherently harmful "culture" that values failure and criticizes success.
    Wait what?


  4. #24
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,160

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You can't do that because one of the biggest reasons minorities fail, at least poor minorities, is because they are mired in an inherently harmful "culture" that values failure and criticizes success. Arguing that they have to change their "culture" is going to be seen as racism by the minority hate-mongers.

    You really can't win.
    and what is your excuse for the poor majority citizens who fail if not their culture
    this is especially significant recognizing that they represent the largest segment of the population requiring government assistance
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #25
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Affirmative Action is a double edged sword. It allows evening up the playing field after 400 years of discrimination but then racist POS tend to think that if you're black and you accomplish anything, like becoming president or graduating from Harvard, it is because you're black.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    and what is your excuse for the poor majority citizens who fail if not their culture
    this is especially significant recognizing that they represent the largest segment of the population requiring government assistance
    Can you re-frame that in the form of a non-run-on sentence?

  7. #27
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Affirmative action is necessary in our society because of racism and I support it 100%. When racism no longer exsist? Then I will no longer feel it is needed. Til then? I LOVE AA
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  8. #28
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Affirmative action is necessary in our society because of racism and I support it 100%. When racism no longer exsist? Then I will no longer feel it is needed. Til then? I LOVE AA
    AA is racism.

  9. #29
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Cry me a river. It may upset some lily white person because a black person got a job over A.A. Guess they/whites shoulda thought about that before they decided to frigging enslave people!

    This is an action in reguards to trying to clean up the mess that the poor ole white man created. Do I give a crap if this makes some white white collar worker resentful? Hell frigging no. More like How Does It Feel! HA!
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Affirmative Action

    At this point awards should be based on need, but I disagree that racism isn't still a problem in 21st century America.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •