View Poll Results: Is affirmative action necessary in today's society?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it bridges the disparity between minority and non-minority students and workers

    6 7.59%
  • Yes, it is important for the social welfare and diversity of the country

    6 7.59%
  • No, it encourages individuals to identify themselves as "disadvantaged"

    35 44.30%
  • No, it provides a basis for "reverse-discrimination"

    50 63.29%
  • No, it is devalues the accomplishments of both those who it benefits and those it does not

    45 56.96%
  • It is necessary for gender, but not race

    2 2.53%
  • It is necessary for race, but not gender

    1 1.27%
  • Other, please specify

    11 13.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 312

Thread: Affirmative Action

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i am disappointed that Obama, who is well positioned to eliminate the race aspect of federal AA programs and instead tailor the eligibility to those of low economic capacity, has shown no inclination to do so
    This would be a step in the right direction, IMO.

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Affirmative Action

    I'm seeing so many liberal non-sequiturs in the last few pages. You almost have to play some warped game of Six Degrees of Separation to figure out the point.

    When you start bringing up unwed mother demographics, you're losing the fight. If you want to open your argument with "black women make dumbsh*t choices in life so they should be favored", then just say so. Don't sit there and take an issue of poverty and springboard it into a valid discussion of AA, because it doesn't work like that.

    My tax money should not go to subsidizing stupidity - black, white, or otherwise.

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    My tax money should not go to subsidizing stupidity - black, white, or otherwise.
    Are children stupid simply because their parents are?

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Affirmative Action

    No, of course not. Environment is probably the biggest factor though.

  5. #285
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Are children stupid simply because their parents are?
    While certainly not automatically, intelligence is at least partially determined by a person's genetics. A person born to "stupid" parents is going to be carrying the genes for that "stupidity". Likewise, if you're looking at stupidity as a result of lack of education, it's also a fact that parental involvement in education is important to the learning process. Parents that don't comprehend the subject matter are not going to be much help in their child's education.

    Certainly, both factors can be overcome to a certain extent, but both are probably going to affect the end result.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The United States of America
    Last Seen
    04-27-10 @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    555

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Are children stupid simply because their parents are?
    Some geneticists would agree with that assertion, yes.

  7. #287
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by 61 Electric Bron-Yr-Aur View Post
    Some geneticists would agree with that assertion, yes.
    true-which is why legacies at big name ivies often have higher GPAs than non legacies. But one thing is true, parents who value education tend to produce children who do far better in schools than children whose parents don't care or aren't around. There is a reason why Cornell engineering has more Chinese than the world table tennis ranking list and why places like Yale Law and Harvard Med have far more Jewish students than the 2% of the population that is Jewish.


    my brother's wife is first generation chinese american. Her parents came to this country without knowing much English but they were well educated and ended retiring both as tenured professors at a major league university. Their daughter earned a BA and a Masters at Harvard, their son ane aerospace engineering degree from Cornell. Education was valued in their household. so was hard work. no one ever called my sister in law names for being top of her HS class even though at the time it was in the middle of the cornbelt at a big state University town where Chinese kids weren't exactly the norm. No one made fun of her practicing piano 4-5 hours a day.



  8. #288
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    true-which is why legacies at big name ivies often have higher GPAs than non legacies. But one thing is true, parents who value education tend to produce children who do far better in schools than children whose parents don't care or aren't around. There is a reason why Cornell engineering has more Chinese than the world table tennis ranking list and why places like Yale Law and Harvard Med have far more Jewish students than the 2% of the population that is Jewish.


    my brother's wife is first generation chinese american. Her parents came to this country without knowing much English but they were well educated and ended retiring both as tenured professors at a major league university. Their daughter earned a BA and a Masters at Harvard, their son ane aerospace engineering degree from Cornell. Education was valued in their household. so was hard work. no one ever called my sister in law names for being top of her HS class even though at the time it was in the middle of the cornbelt at a big state University town where Chinese kids weren't exactly the norm. No one made fun of her practicing piano 4-5 hours a day.
    Indeed. Parental involvement is more of a factor in test scores than private vs. public school
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  9. #289
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Affirmative Action

    I don't see what minorities being disproportionately poor has to do with AA. Why is a middle class African-American child in a stable family any more deserving of advantages than a poor White child with a single mother? Aid should be based on need, not skin color.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  10. #290
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    I don't see what minorities being disproportionately poor has to do with AA. Why is a middle class African-American child in a stable family any more deserving of advantages than a poor White child with a single mother? Aid should be based on need, not skin color.
    But that would require serious effort and a time commitment by an admissions office or HR department and it might well mean less black or hispanic students rather than more. Its so much easier to equate "black" with "disadvantaged"



Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •