View Poll Results: Is affirmative action necessary in today's society?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it bridges the disparity between minority and non-minority students and workers

    6 7.59%
  • Yes, it is important for the social welfare and diversity of the country

    6 7.59%
  • No, it encourages individuals to identify themselves as "disadvantaged"

    35 44.30%
  • No, it provides a basis for "reverse-discrimination"

    50 63.29%
  • No, it is devalues the accomplishments of both those who it benefits and those it does not

    45 56.96%
  • It is necessary for gender, but not race

    2 2.53%
  • It is necessary for race, but not gender

    1 1.27%
  • Other, please specify

    11 13.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 312

Thread: Affirmative Action

  1. #101
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Keeping it real huh? Chris Rock said something about that...

    "Keeping it real... real stupid." - Chris Rock

    You don't know anything about my struggles or my people.

    It is not helping blacks, or our cause. You can continue to support "niggaz" all you want. I will support the fine black people.
    Oooo...snap.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  2. #102
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    There is a well known harvard law professor who applied to two law schools-the two top rated schools

    he put black on one and the other he left blank by accident. He got into the former and turned down by the latter--however, they later admitted him when they found out he was black. He stayed with Harvard though and didn't attend Yale

    pretty damning -but for race he was not qualified

    He's a big advocate of affirmative racism btw
    Not surprising at all. My poor little brother (13) has his heart set on MIT for their astrophysics program. I don't even know what to tell him. I want him to try for it, but even though he get's straight As I know the odds are against him. That's why this AA stuff is crap. You shouldn't have to worry about your chances because you're white any more than because you're black.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  3. #103
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Affirmative Action

    i've been thru this thread reading the white posters expressing concern that their white advantage is no longer as absolute as it once was
    to salve their wounds from personally underperforming they want to insist that minorities gained an advantage they did not deserve, as if that were the only way that their minority counterparts outperformed them. lame excuses
    they insist that the minorities who benefitted from AA were less qualified than their majority counterparts. one would think there would be reams of data proving that underqualification - if it were true ... yet, not one cite has been offered showing that such underqualification was present
    if you could not make it thru law school, or on an athletic squad, don't blame the persons of color who had the right stuff - just because you didn't
    man up
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #104
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i've been thru this thread reading the white posters expressing concern that their white advantage is no longer as absolute as it once was
    to salve their wounds from personally underperforming they want to insist that minorities gained an advantage they did not deserve, as if that were the only way that their minority counterparts outperformed them. lame excuses
    they insist that the minorities who benefitted from AA were less qualified than their majority counterparts. one would think there would be reams of data proving that underqualification - if it were true ... yet, not one cite has been offered showing that such underqualification was present
    if you could not make it thru law school, or on an athletic squad, don't blame the persons of color who had the right stuff - just because you didn't
    man up
    This is such garbage...

    #1 Had nothing at all to do with whites wanting an advantage.
    #2 Had nothing to do with failing anything. Has to do with being passed up because of race, NOT qualifications.

    You know what? I am not even going to answer the rest of this unadulterated crap. In that end that is all your argument amounts to in the real world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #105
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i've been thru this thread reading the white posters expressing concern that their white advantage is no longer as absolute as it once was
    to salve their wounds from personally underperforming they want to insist that minorities gained an advantage they did not deserve, as if that were the only way that their minority counterparts outperformed them. lame excuses
    they insist that the minorities who benefitted from AA were less qualified than their majority counterparts. one would think there would be reams of data proving that underqualification - if it were true ... yet, not one cite has been offered showing that such underqualification was present
    if you could not make it thru law school, or on an athletic squad, don't blame the persons of color who had the right stuff - just because you didn't
    man up
    You do realize that one of the people arguing AGAINST AA is black, right? And a few of the others are women?

    If what you said was true, and the people who benefited from AA were truly more qualified... then AA is quite unnecessary.

    AA is racism and sexism written into law. Mandated sexism. Mandated racism. The ONLY reason someone should be hired is because of their qualifications, NOT because of the color of their skin or because they have tits. If they cannot get the job on qualifications alone, then they don't deserve the job. No government should EVER tell an employer they have to hire someone because that person's skin is a little darker, or because they have a vagina.

  6. #106
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Affirmative Action

    I don't know what is worse, being a victim of affirmative action (I was turned down for a constitutional law teaching position despite being in the top 25% of my class at a top law school in favor of a black female who was bottom half of her class at a schoool currently ranked about 56th in the USA because I was told the ABA was worried this local law school needed a "black female" increase) or having a couple friends who are Black who really earned what they have yet are seen by the ignorant as not as good an attorney as some of us who work with them because they "must have been given breaks"



  7. #107
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    if you could not make it thru law school, or on an athletic squad, don't blame the persons of color who had the right stuff - just because you didn't
    man up
    I think you are confused. Its not being allowed into a law school because you are white while people with far lower qualifications are getting in because they are Black


    and the year I applied to law schools not a single white was accepted into Harvard or Yale Law with the scores that the BEST QUALIFIED Black applicant had

    did you know Obama didn't even make HONORS (3.2-3.4) at Columbia yet got into Harvard Law? When I was applying to law schools (several years before Obama and the competition has only increased) we were told when we met with their dean of admissions when she visited my college that for us (white and asian males were in the group) we better have at least a 3.75 with a top 2% board score to have even a 50-50 chance of admission. IF you had an amazing resume in terms of extracurriculars (like say being a chess grandmaster or a published author) you might get in with a 3.6 (which was about the cut off for magna cum laude)

    it would be like a white boy who can only run a 10.5 hundred meter being chosen to run on the 4X100 relay in the world games instead of a Black guy who runs a 9.9 because the USA hasn't had a white 100M runner in years and whites are "underrepresented" on the US track team's sprinting squad



  8. #108
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't know what is worse, being a victim of affirmative action (I was turned down for a constitutional law teaching position despite being in the top 25% of my class at a top law school in favor of a black female who was bottom half of her class at a schoool currently ranked about 56th in the USA because I was told the ABA was worried this local law school needed a "black female" increase) or having a couple friends who are Black who really earned what they have yet are seen by the ignorant as not as good an attorney as some of us who work with them because they "must have been given breaks"
    one look at that sentence and it is obvious why you were declined for the teaching position
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #109
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,132

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I think you are confused. Its not being allowed into a law school because you are white while people with far lower qualifications are getting in because they are Black


    and the year I applied to law schools not a single white was accepted into Harvard or Yale Law with the scores that the BEST QUALIFIED Black applicant had

    did you know Obama didn't even make HONORS (3.2-3.4) at Columbia yet got into Harvard Law? When I was applying to law schools (several years before Obama and the competition has only increased) we were told when we met with their dean of admissions when she visited my college that for us (white and asian males were in the group) we better have at least a 3.75 with a top 2% board score to have even a 50-50 chance of admission. IF you had an amazing resume in terms of extracurriculars (like say being a chess grandmaster or a published author) you might get in with a 3.6 (which was about the cut off for magna cum laude)

    it would be like a white boy who can only run a 10.5 hundred meter being chosen to run on the 4X100 relay in the world games instead of a Black guy who runs a 9.9 because the USA hasn't had a white 100M runner in years and whites are "underrepresented" on the US track team's sprinting squad
    any attorney worth his salt would not make the case for the opposition. and yet you have done so
    thank you for pointing out that Obama benefitted from AA and recognizing how much he has accomplished, which would not otherwise have precipitated but for the application of AA principles
    from your posts, it is clear you are the last person to criticize someone with ostensibly weak skills being accepted into law school
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  10. #110
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Affirmative Action

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I don't think it is needed today. I think at one time it was simply to make up the gap difference between different groups, but in today's context is unnecessary and breeds hostility between those different groups.
    Do you say that it is not necessary because discrimination no longer exists in American society, or because you believe it is counter-productive in tackling the discrimination that exists? What do you believe has changed to make it no longer necessary or useful?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •