View Poll Results: Should piercing the ears of kittens and selling them as 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's animal cruelty and exploitive of innocent kittens

    25 46.30%
  • It seems less cruel than docking tails and ears

    6 11.11%
  • No, unless silliness is a crime

    21 38.89%
  • Other, please explain

    2 3.70%
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 248

Thread: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

  1. #161
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    This has nothing to do with my argument or the laws.
    The point is that because we don't take this into account we have such horrible practices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Now we leap into the ridicules.

    Fallacy argument buddy. Pony up with something real.
    Nice try, but just answer the question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    PS The Bible says do unto others as in humans. It also gives us dominion over ALL of the earth to do with as we see fit.
    PLEASE don't try and preach my own Bible too me as we will go way off topic.
    Honestly, it depends on interrpretations. And I think the Bible is an excellent source to cite in this argument. For example, if an animal attacks, you can defend yourself to the extent you need to. If an animal loves you, like a dog licking your hand, you should treat the dog well.

    I don't know why people can't just follow that, it is so simple!

    As for industrial practices, they seriously need reformation as well, as well as normal animal-cruelty laws.

    And I do believe the basis of your argument is that because all these other poeple can treat animals cruelly, why can't you, right?
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  2. #162
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    The point is that because we don't take this into account we have such horrible practices.
    Not really. I have already shown this. Do you want me to type it again?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Nice try, but just answer the question.
    What part of fallacy are you missing?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Honestly, it depends on interrpretations.
    Not really. Much of the Bible is pretty much set in stone like us being given dominion over the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    And I think the Bible is an excellent source to cite in this argument. For example, if an animal attacks, you can defend yourself to the extent you need to.
    Read it again. The animal that injures a human is to be killed, period.

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    If an animal loves you, like a dog licking your hand, you should treat the dog well.
    It says that no place in the Bible at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    I don't know why people can't just follow that, it is so simple!
    Because it is not that simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    As for industrial practices, they seriously need reformation as well, as well as normal animal-cruelty laws.
    Then why are you disagreeing with me? Did you read my posts?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    And I do believe the basis of your argument is that because all these other poeple can treat animals cruelly, why can't you, right?
    You really need to go back and read my posts before making such an asinine statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #163
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,943

    Re: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    OK you are not even debating at this point. So far your argument hyperbole at best. Much like her silly comments about oh they can't jump properly which is garbage.

    Have a good evening.
    You stopped debating several posts ago when you chose to attack Dr. Merck. She is a well respected veterinarian with a good reputation and you've offered nothing to counter her testimony by way of an expert opinion, though you've had ample opportunity to do so.

    Goodnight.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  4. #164
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

    Well, I'm glad to see this thread didn't segue off into Ridiculous Land, as I was afraid it might.

    Lawd have mercy...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #165
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    You stopped debating several posts ago when you chose to attack Dr. Merck. She is a well respected veterinarian with a good reputation and you've offered nothing to counter her testimony by way of an expert opinion, though you've had ample opportunity to do so.

    Goodnight.


    Goodnight!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #166
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I highly doubt a 14 gage half moon ring is going to affect the cats ability to jump.
    A cat's sense of balance is incredibly fine tuned. Years ago, we had a cat that not only couldn't walk, but couldn't even stand up, when there was a hand towel draped across his back. He'd freeze, then collapse on his side.

    It was a simple accident that led to this discovery - one day a towel fell from the stove towel-bar thingie onto his back as he brushed by it, and he just fell over and laid there on the kitchen floor until my mother discovered him some time later. She thought he was having some sort of seizure, but as soon as the towel was off his back, he acted perfectly fine. Mom tested it again, just to be sure this was what was going on and that he wasn't having an embolism - towel on back, collapse; towel removed, kitteh fine and dandy.

    So, yeah. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that a piercing would cause a cat's balance to go completely wonky.

    Have you ever even had a cat? Given your glaring lack of knowledge about feline behavior, I'd have to guess no.

  7. #167
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    A cat's sense of balance is incredibly fine tuned. Years ago, we had a cat that not only couldn't walk, but couldn't even stand up, when there was a hand towel draped across his back. He'd freeze, then collapse on his side.
    The cat had serious issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    It was a simple accident that led to this discovery - one day a towel fell from the stove towel-bar thingie onto his back as he brushed by it, and he just fell over and laid there on the kitchen floor until my mother discovered him some time later. She thought he was having some sort of seizure, but as soon as the towel was off his back, he acted perfectly fine. Mom tested it again, just to be sure this was what was going on and that he wasn't having an embolism - towel on back, collapse; towel removed, kitteh fine and dandy.

    So, yeah. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that a piercing would cause a cat's balance to go completely wonky.

    Have you ever even had a cat? Given your glaring lack of knowledge about feline behavior, I'd have to guess no.
    Yes a few, and none of them would fall over because a towel fell on them. In fact when we were younger we would put capes on them made out of (you guessed it) towels and they walked just fine. Now it will cause them to inverse the back, but that is the extent of it. The cat could balance and jump around just fine.

    Anyone remember "Action Cats" fake commercial on Saturday Night Live? They had cats dressed up in complete weapons harnesses made of plastic that included guns and missile launchers on the back and body of the cats. They walked just fine.

    YouTube - SNL skit ACTION CATS!! big cat with the big guns!!

    Wow look at the cats walking with no problem.

    Either your story is not true, or that was a lame cat, as in issues.

    Which is it?
    Last edited by Black Dog; 04-19-10 at 02:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #168
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Take it up with the founding fathers.
    Who are probably either living it up in another world or rolling in their graves about now
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Either the law has to apply or it does not. The animal does not have any rights. The community would be infringing on the right of this woman by trying to force her to change the piercings. It is her property and not the community's. Unless she is infringing on someone else's rights (and she is not) it is no one else's business.

    No one is telling dog breeders where to snip? Why does she need to be told? No one is telling the fir farms how to treat the animals they have, why does she have to submit?
    I believe in communal governance. If a community wishes to establish certain ethical standards as it pertains to the treatment of animals (animal cruelty laws), then I believe they are well within their rights. I wouldn't have sent this woman to prison, but I would support removing or replacing the earrings, as they are needlessly cruel.

    To me, it would be no different than a community bylaw which forbade public intoxication or displaying crude messages on one's lawn.

  10. #170
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Should selling 'Gothic Kittens' be a crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    I believe in communal governance. If a community wishes to establish certain ethical standards as it pertains to the treatment of animals (animal cruelty laws), then I believe they are well within their rights. I wouldn't have sent this woman to prison, but I would support removing or replacing the earrings, as they are needlessly cruel.

    To me, it would be no different than a community bylaw which forbade public intoxication or displaying crude messages on one's lawn.
    Actually I can agree with that. I did not think about the level of the law. I just assumed state or federal.

    I still think it was not abuse, and house arrest was over the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •